Sid: New stadium doesn't win games, hasn't helped recruiting

Sid is not now, nor has he been in the last 10 years, a help to gopher athletics.
He would rather the gophers remain not-relevant so that he can remain relevant in covering them. The media has gotten younger and he is no longer anything close to a go to guy on issues concerning the Vikings or the Twins. If the gophers ever became relevant, the fanbase and media surrounding them would be come younger. Sid would lose his last bit of relevance.

He was openly stating that the gophers should not get a new stadium for years and that the metrodome was great for them. He openly makes factless claims about how the gophers athletics dept does not support winning in football because of lack of financial commitment. Yet he never uses any relevant statistics to back up his claims.

His number 1 job right now is keep gopher football irrelevant, so that he himself can remain relevant.

Sid is a senile old whore. Of course there is only so much a new stadium can do when the head coach (who Sid loved) is an epic doofus.

When.....

are people in this state going to kick the week old garbage to the curb!

Of course stadiums don't win games, players win games. But it does bring in revenue streams we didn't have before. And his assertion that is hasn't helped with recruiting is baseless. First, the results of improved recruiting don't pay off immediately; players tend to be much better as seniors than as freshmen, you can't expect the new freshmen to step in and save the team even if they are better recruits. Second, Sid is basing the USD loss solely on lack of talent, and leaves coaching entirely out of the picture. Sid's view, shared by virtually no one is that Brewster is doing a great job, therefore, the problem must be recruiting. But even if we were to go along with this, that contradicts the entire basis for hiring Brewster in the first place, his reputation as a great recruiter. And while Brewster's recruiting classes were not incredibly highly regarded, they weren't considered to be awful, with that talent, you would never predict that such a team would give up six touchdowns to South Dakota.

From Sid's column:

"Apparently, the new stadium didn't help recruiting either, with players not having the ability to step right in as freshmen and sophomores and prevent the Gophers from losing to South Dakota and Northern Illinois."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/105609128.html?page=2&c=y

Go Gophers!!

Wow, I've never hated on Sid cause I always thought he was harmless. But this is ridiculous. Recruiting has gotten better and more high profile. Mike Bellotti said the other day that the one thing Brew got right was recruiting, and he proved Minnesota could recruit at a high level nationally.

I'm now actually angry. How dare he spout such harmful drivel when the Gophers are looking for the coach to change their future.

sid says all these things

you can't recruit at minnesota, you can't win at minnesota, you don't get support at minnesota

then he will turn around and suggest his 73 year old buddy, lou holtz, for coach

he talks out of both sides of his azz......why would you be promoting holtz then

Lets face it - none of the Star Trib columnists are very good because all of them bring their own slanted agendas to their stories.

Sid and Patrick have always wanted one stadium built to be shared by both teams with the Vikings being the landlord and the gophers as renters. I think they see Heinz Field as the ideal situation. I also think that they believe that natural football order of things should be Vikings first and gophers second. I think they are scared to death that the vikings will move and see Target Field and TCF Bank stadium making it much harder to get the public to support a new stadium given the economy.

The new stadium is a beauty, but Sid didn't want it - as he confessed again this morning, he wanted a joint-use domed stadium with the Vikings and Gophers as tenants.

Sid is either A) and idiot or B) a genius. Why? Because he seems to take any opinion that will get people buzzing that he is an idiot. Like how he said to keep Brewster, I would be willing to be bet he just said that to get people read his articles. Now Brewster is gone, so he attacks something else that people will find outrageous and says that the new stadium doesn't help recruiting. So he is either A) an idiot who believes the opposite of any sane person or B) somebody who wants to get people talking about them and is smart enough to know the easiest way to do that is to tick people off.

Sid is wrong, even though we are struggling this year, it is a pleasure to sit in an outdoor stadium. This week I took a friend who has not been to a Gopher game since the 60's and he loved it. He thought the team played hard and they were not as bad as he had heard and could not get over how beautiful the stadium is.

There was a great text sent to the Sports Huddle about Sid's claim that New Stadium doesn't win games or help recruiting. The text went something to this effect. If your claim New Stadiums do neither then the Vikes don't need a new stadium.:D

The new stadium is a beauty, but Sid didn't want it - as he confessed again this morning, he wanted a joint-use domed stadium with the Vikings and Gophers as tenants.

The problem with that is how would revenue be distributed. For that to have worked then all revenue from gopher games (parking, boxes, concessions, advertising, seat licenses, tickets) goes to the gophers and all revenue from vikings games goes to the vikings. These were issues that were never quite clear to the gophers. Given the metrodome experience the gophers were going to get the short end of the stick and it was in their best interests to make their own stadium.

Sid and Patrick never came clean on the revenue issue. I suspect that they expected the gophers to take less since the stadium would be built with other peoples' money and the rent was supposed to be cheap.

Sid is either A) and idiot or B) a genius. Why? Because he seems to take any opinion that will get people buzzing that he is an idiot. Like how he said to keep Brewster, I would be willing to be bet he just said that to get people read his articles. Now Brewster is gone, so he attacks something else that people will find outrageous and says that the new stadium doesn't help recruiting. So he is either A) an idiot who believes the opposite of any sane person or B) somebody who wants to get people talking about them and is smart enough to know the easiest way to do that is to tick people off.[/QUOTE]

This might be giving Sid a little too much credit.

Top Bottom