Sid: Kaler not interested in building a new arena and tearing down Williams Arena

Just don't move any home games off campus.

Moving the basketball team to Excel if a REALLY STUPID IDEA.

Building a multi-purpose arena - BB and Hockey is a REALLY STUPID IDEA.

What exactly is this VIKING DEBACLE you speak of, and how does it affect a new BB arena or remodeled Barn?

The Barn hosted the NCAA Championship game in the past(1950 I believe)....a bigger story than Edgerton in the national perspective.

Get over it station12. Your little pipe dream of tearing down the Barn...not happening!

Get over it station12. Your little pipe dream of tearing down the Barn...not happening!

I don't have a pipe dream of tearing down the Barn and your post has nothing to do with my quote.

My pipe dream is still to play for the Gophers. The NCAA is giving me some lame excuse about not allowing a 50th year of eligibility.

I don't have a pipe dream of tearing down the Barn and your post has nothing to do with my quote.

My pipe dream is still to play for the Gophers. The NCAA is giving me some lame excuse about not allowing a 50th year of eligibility.

Invoke the Mbakwe rule!

If you did build a new arena why would you tear down Williams Arena? A new arena would not fit in the space where Williams is located. The "U" is also not interested in acquiring land so where would you put this new arena? You cannot put it on or near the St. Paul campus.

If you did build a new arena why would you tear down Williams Arena? A new arena would not fit in the space where Williams is located. The "U" is also not interested in acquiring land so where would you put this new arena? You cannot put it on or near the St. Paul campus.

Yes it would

The dome was new once and look how that turned out. New isn't always better.

Like many others have said, Williams is the Fenway of college bball. There is nothing else like it that I have seen.

Like many others have said, Williams is the Fenway of college bball. There is nothing else like it that I have seen.

Vanderbilt's arena is pretty unique as well. Being that it wasn't made to be a bball arena it makes sense. I like ours better thogh.

Pretty sure the arenas for Ohio State and Wisconsin are not the reason those schools are good. That is due to their coaching, which has created a loyal fanbase which makes the atmosphere fun there. And the argument that a new arena would bring in 5 star recruits is also laughable. Kohl Center has brought in nothing but 2 and 3 star shmucks. Again, it isnt the arena leading to success. It is the coaching. Good coaching will lead to a good team which will lead to better players coming here as well as a greater atmosphere at The Barn which will make everyone realize it is a perfect venue for our college basketball team. Make improvements, but do not replace.

Pretty sure the arenas for Ohio State and Wisconsin are not the reason those schools are good. That is due to their coaching, which has created a loyal fanbase which makes the atmosphere fun there. And the argument that a new arena would bring in 5 star recruits is also laughable. Kohl Center has brought in nothing but 2 and 3 star shmucks. Again, it isnt the arena leading to success. It is the coaching. Good coaching will lead to a good team which will lead to better players coming here as well as a greater atmosphere at The Barn which will make everyone realize it is a perfect venue for our college basketball team. Make improvements, but do not replace.

I agree with your ultimate point, but you are extremely ignorant if you believe the bolded statement. Bo has brought in multiple 5-star recruits and lots of 4-stars. It has been discussed many times on here, Bo has recruited very well.

Pretty sure the arena for Wisconsin is not the reason they are horrific. That is due to their coaching, which has created a drunken, bored fanbase which makes the atmosphere terrible. Kohl Center has brought in nothing but 2 and 3 star shmucks.
*FIXED*

I also hate the reference to Missouri's new arena. What is so great about it, other than the fact it is new right now. In 5 years, it will just be a regular arena. In 5,10,or 20 years from now Williams Arena will still be The Barn and everything we associate with The Barn. You cannot rebuild that. Any new arena will be great for a few years, but that wears off.

I agree with your ultimate point, but you are extremely ignorant if you believe the bolded statement. Bo has brought in multiple 5-star recruits and lots of 4-stars. It has been discussed many times on here, Bo has recruited very well.

True, I just cannot believe that 4 and 5 star recruits would ever want to play in that system. But they obviously do.

I also hate the reference to Missouri's new arena. What is so great about it, other than the fact it is new right now. In 5 years, it will just be a regular arena. In 5,10,or 20 years from now Williams Arena will still be The Barn and everything we associate with The Barn. You cannot rebuild that. Any new arena will be great for a few years, but that wears off.

Therefore The Barn has had 80 years of 'wearing off'.

Whenever I see this discussion, or others like it, I am always reminded of two things:

1. A photo book titled "Lost Twin Cities" that I read years ago. This book detailed various cool, significant structures and buildings in Minneapolis and St. Paul that had been demolished to make room for "progress" over the past 100 or more years. Some of the buildings in that book provoke a near gut-wrenching response when considering their destruction. I believe Memorial Stadium was one of the structures highlighted in that book. In the end, it is an unfortunate part of American culture. We tend to want to tear things down and build new if it costs $.01 more to preserve what is already there. We then go to Europe and marvel at how well preserved many of the places there are.

2. Which reminds me of the Frauenkirche in Munich. This cathedral was damaged so heavily during WWII bombing that the only things left were four walls and one tower. Yet, those people found a way to maintain the buidling's character and rebuild it to its historic appearance despite what certainly would have been a much less expensive option of just finishing the job those bombs had started. And, they found a way to do it when there was little money left after a devistating war that they lost completely. Just one example of many like it.

250px-Frauenkirche_Munich_-_View_from_Peterskirche_Tower.jpg

The Frauenkirche may not have much to do with Williams Arena but the thought of reading about it and showing photos in a future volume of "Lost Twin Cities" to my grand kids some day is a sad thought. Spend the money on a fancy practice facility full of bells and whistles, and find a way to keep Williams arena rocking. It is unique in a way that can't be duplicated. I never hesitate on an opportunity to go there, and that includes HS tournaments (which I dearly wish were played there instead of Target Center).

Whenever I see this discussion, or others like it, I am always reminded of two things:

1. A photo book titled "Lost Twin Cities" that I read years ago. This book detailed various cool, significant structures and buildings in Minneapolis and St. Paul that had been demolished to make room for "progress" over the past 100 or more years. Some of the buildings in that book provoke a near gut-wrenching response when considering their destruction. I believe Memorial Stadium was one of the structures highlighted in that book. In the end, it is an unfortunate part of American culture. We tend to want to tear things down and build new if it costs $.01 more to preserve what is already there. We then go to Europe and marvel at how well preserved many of the places there are.

2. Which reminds me of the Frauenkirche in Munich. This cathedral was damaged so heavily during WWII bombing that the only things left were four walls and one tower. Yet, those people found a way to maintain the buidling's character and rebuild it to its historic appearance despite what certainly would have been a much less expensive option of just finishing the job those bombs had started. And, they found a way to do it when there was little money left after a devistating war that they lost completely. Just one example of many like it.

View attachment 2160

The Frauenkirche may not have much to do with Williams Arena but the thought of reading about it and showing photos in a future volume of "Lost Twin Cities" to my grand kids some day is a sad thought. Spend the money on a fancy practice facility full of bells and whistles, and find a way to keep Williams arena rocking. It is unique in a way that can't be duplicated. I never hesitate on an opportunity to go there, and that includes HS tournaments (which I dearly wish were played there instead of Target Center).

I am always amused(cough, cough) by this type of reference, or in some cases the reasons we should keep The Barn forever. No one has successfully explained to me how any buildings that were saved or torn down in TC or Europe have had any effect on the Gopher Basketball program.

Common sense would say that saving or replacing any building should depend solely on the viability of that building alone.

How has the A Mill affected the Gopher BB program? How much grain are they producing? Oh wait it's a museum.

Again I am not saying we need to replace The Barn at this time. Only that there are points to be made for it and to not even consider when and how this will happen is burying ones head in the sand.

I've always found it amusing that we MUST have a new basketball arena to win, yet nearly every football powerhouse has a stadium that is the age of Williams Arena...or older.

The reason everybody has new arenas and we don't is simply that The Barn was built to seat huge crowds long before that was the norm. All of the other schools had to build new digs because their old arenas seated less than 10,000.

I've always found it amusing that we MUST have a new basketball arena to win, yet nearly every football powerhouse has a stadium that is the age of Williams Arena...or older.

The reason everybody has new arenas and we don't is simply that The Barn was built to seat huge crowds long before that was the norm. All of the other schools had to build new digs because their old arenas seated less than 10,000.

+1

Blueprints are tiny.

Not necessarily.

“I have a map of the United States... Actual size. It says, 'Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile.' I spent last summer folding it. I hardly ever unroll it. People ask me where I live, and I say, 'E6.”

Steven Wright

Can we end this thread so "The Barn Hater" station14 does not have a cow.

Blueprints are tiny.

The Williams Arena footprint is another story.

humUmrq.jpg

Exactly, anyone who has experienced the Barn at its best knows that there is nothing like it. Ex. Indiana game. Dakich worshiped it the entire game and kept commenting on the noise level. It is deafening loud. I wouldn't trade the barn for any other venue out there. Theres not a better feeling than when your cozied into that place and its rocking and rolling.

Exactly, anyone who has experienced the Barn at its best knows that there is nothing like it. Ex. Indiana game. Dakich worshiped it the entire game and kept commenting on the noise level. It is deafening loud. I wouldn't trade the barn for any other venue out there. Theres not a better feeling than when your cozied into that place and its rocking and rolling.

+1

Top Bottom