Sid: Coaches will take a good look at RS freshman Chris Streveler next spring at QB

Yep...this staff would never start a freshman over an experienced guy...to think they would even consider trying something like that is just foolish....I mean can you think of anytime ever where they have done something like this....

They might do it, depending on the definition of "experienced guy". If the definition of "experienced guy" is either of two guys who probably never should have played QB at the FBS level, then yes, they would probably start a Freshman over an "experienced guy".

Listen incoming freshman Seth Green in our starter next year. The kid has poise, pocket presence, makes 92.39% of his passes, runs a 4.14 40(electrical timed) and 4.16 40 (Hand timed), smart, is a class leader, and has been praised to be the next Peyton Manning/Michael Vick hybrid.

I could see Seth Green stats like this 4,368 passing yards, 1,658 rushing yards with 43 passing TD to go along with 36 rushing TD and 2 TO as a freshman.

This whole Debate about Nelson, Liedner and Streveler is a mute point. Sid is writing up the article now to update his recent article

Are you talking about the High School Kid from Eastridge high in Woodbury?

Listen incoming freshman Seth Green in our starter next year. The kid has poise, pocket presence, makes 92.39% of his passes, runs a 4.14 40(electrical timed) and 4.16 40 (Hand timed), smart, is a class leader, and has been praised to be the next Peyton Manning/Michael Vick hybrid.

I could see Seth Green stats like this 4,368 passing yards, 1,658 rushing yards with 43 passing TD to go along with 36 rushing TD and 2 TO as a freshman.

This whole Debate about Nelson, Liedner and Streveler is a mute point. Sid is writing up the article now to update his recent article

Starting for Eastridge High?
If this is the Green you are talking about, isn't he first going to be a Sophmore or Junior in High School next year, he is a class of 2016 Soph guy this Green if I am not mistaken. Green is not going to be starting for the Gophers next year.

Stylistically speaking, just based on the 'eye-test' alone, I would agree that Leidner's got a stronger arm than does Nelson, as Leidner seems able to get some serious mustard on his passes whereas virtually all of Nelson's passes, he seems to get a lot of air under them and kind of hang them up there far too often, so maybe you could describe that as Nelson possibly having better 'touch', while Leidner's got the stronger arm allowing him to get it in there into tighter windows. Leidner's two 4th quarter completions to Wolitarsky (one for 16 yards I believe, the other for 25 on an out pattern) to me pretty much exemplified that fact, as those were both line drive throws where he *really* winged it in there, whereas Nelson in that scenario, I'd have seen him just softly lofting the passes in there.

That is my impression anyway. As to which one progresses the most successfully from here, we shall see I guess.

Since you are likely an Eastridge student, let me point out a couple of things. The term is moot point and means the point or issue need not be decided; generally because a decision in an overreaching issue resolved a lesser issues. Mute on the other hand is an inability to speak. Also, Sid Hartman has not written an article, or a column for that matter, for years. An article by definition is factual and considered news. A column is generally opinion. The line gets fuzzy because journalists, or in this case people employed by the Tribune, sometimes let their opinions dominate an article and sometimes Tribune employees who are paid to write columns strive to make their opinions newsworthy.

Listen incoming freshman Seth Green in our starter next year. The kid has poise, pocket presence, makes 92.39% of his passes, runs a 4.14 40(electrical timed) and 4.16 40 (Hand timed), smart, is a class leader, and has been praised to be the next Peyton Manning/Michael Vick hybrid. I could see Seth Green stats like this 4,368 passing yards, 1,658 rushing yards with 43 passing TD to go along with 36 rushing TD and 2 TO as a freshman. This whole Debate about Nelson, Liedner and Streveler is a mute point. Sid is writing up the article now to update his recent article

He is the only person in history to get slower in a hand timed 40.

They might do it, depending on the definition of "experienced guy". If the definition of "experienced guy" is either of two guys who probably never should have played QB at the FBS level, then yes, they would probably start a Freshman over an "experienced guy".

Nelson shouldn't have played at the FBS level? What are you smoking? Did you ever watch him in HS? Heck- even if you are a stars guy or an 'other offer' guy you wouldn't think that. Maybe you only saw the MSU game and are basing your opinion on that?

Bottom Line: Nelson has the talent to be a very good B1G QB. Don't believe me - ask the coaches who watch him every day? A Mason backer - great, he said that exact thing on KFAN today. What Nelson lacks is consistency, not talent. If he can get that figured out in the next 2-years he will be very good. If he can't then we'll all be subjected to more threads about backup QBs.

Nelson was unconscious for 4 weeks.

Then he lost his favorite and only dependable receiver.

I think Weber is a great guy and a helluva competitor, teammate, and leader. But he was a very inconsistent passer over his entire career. However, I do think that he worked very hard and showed improvement from year to year.

Adam Weber wishes he had half the running game and a tenth as good of a defense as the Gophers had this year.

He stairs [sic] down 1 receiver and if that receiver isn't open, he's off to the races with his legs...

A lot of people said that about Nelson last year too. He needs game experience to see if he can "process fast enough".

Nelson shouldn't have played at the FBS level? What are you smoking? Did you ever watch him in HS? Heck- even if you are a stars guy or an 'other offer' guy you wouldn't think that. Maybe you only saw the MSU game and are basing your opinion on that?

Bottom Line: Nelson has the talent to be a very good B1G QB. Don't believe me - ask the coaches who watch him every day? A Mason backer - great, he said that exact thing on KFAN today. What Nelson lacks is consistency, not talent. If he can get that figured out in the next 2-years he will be very good. If he can't then we'll all be subjected to more threads about backup QBs.

I wasn't talking about Nelson. Go back one year, unless I completely missed something in the post I was responding to.

Adam Weber wishes he had half the running game and a tenth as good of a defense as the Gophers had this year.

And. . . Nelson wishes that he had Decker.

These two QBs had completely different careers.
#1: Weber got to RS, Nelson's stats last season were as a true FR. (HUGE DIFFERENCE)
#2: The systems were completely different. While Nelson has the luxury of a good running game, Weber had the luxury of a spread system that absolutely boosts a QBs stats.
#3: Weber didn't really come under fire until his JR season (by far his worst season). Most people were pretty excited about Weber following his SO season.

For me, I think Nelson is a similar caliber of player to Weber following their respective SO seasons. I get that Weber's stats might have been better, but I went to those games. He played well as a FR, but his stats were partially a result of playing from behind in a spread offense. The real question is, does Nelson take a step forward or a HUGE step backward (like Weber)? Although Weber had a decent SR season, his play his JR year was awful. . .

And a an ability to quit throwing 5 yards short of the receiver straight into the ground. If he could have only done that...

And. . . Nelson wishes that he had Decker.

These two QBs had completely different careers.
#1: Weber got to RS, Nelson's stats last season were as a true FR. (HUGE DIFFERENCE)
#2: The systems were completely different. While Nelson has the luxury of a good running game, Weber had the luxury of a spread system that absolutely boosts a QBs stats.
#3: Weber didn't really come under fire until his JR season (by far his worst season). Most people were pretty excited about Weber following his SO season.

For me, I think Nelson is a similar caliber of player to Weber following their respective SO seasons. I get that Weber's stats might have been better, but I went to those games. He played well as a FR, but his stats were partially a result of playing from behind in a spread offense. The real question is, does Nelson take a step forward or a HUGE step backward (like Weber)? Although Weber had a decent SR season, his play his JR year was awful. . .

My first thought as well.

Yep...this staff would never start a freshman over an experienced guy...to think they would even consider trying something like that is just foolish....I mean can you think of anytime ever where they have done something like this....

Coming off an 8/9 win season, with most of the team back, with real expectations on the team for the first time, if we go into TCU starting a Freshman QB & lose while Kill/Limegrover's hand picked Jr QB Phil Nelson watches from the sidelines Kill should be fired.

The good news is that's not going to happen. Nelson is the guy for the next two years.

That's right Ogee. There's a big difference between replacing a M. Gray, a mediocre Sr you didn't recruit, in the middle of a go-nowhere season so you can get experience for your QB of the future & sitting said QB of the future as he becomes an upperclassman, coming off a successful season for an untested Freshman.

4.14 huh? I believe the fastest 40 ever run at the combine was a 4.24 or something like that (4.2 something) by Chris Johnson...

I'm sorry but if anybody were to beat a healthy nelson/leidner for the starting job they would have to be a future first round draft pick or a future heisman condtender. I'm not saying that nelson or leidner are future first round picks or heisman contenders, I'm just saying with their experience in the offense they will be leagues ahead of any freshman we have coming in. And I believe they both have the skill sets needed to be successful in our offense if they improve their consistency which will improve as our receivers/Oline improve.

4 pages.

Any BTW, it's "moot".

This is all true. I also heard Green's tears cure cancer & he once threw a football over the side of a mountain?

4.14 huh? I believe the fastest 40 ever run at the combine was a 4.24 or something like that (4.2 something) by Chris Johnson...

I'm sorry but if anybody were to beat a healthy nelson/leidner for the starting job they would have to be a future first round draft pick or a future heisman condtender. I'm not saying that nelson or leidner are future first round picks or heisman contenders, I'm just saying with their experience in the offense they will be leagues ahead of any freshman we have coming in. And I believe they both have the skill sets needed to be successful in our offense if they improve their consistency which will improve as our receivers/Oline improve.

Yeah, 4.14 that's why GopherFanatic is so excited. He can also throw the ball 150 yards on a rope & bench presses 550lbs 8x.

You mean a "moot point"?

I took all of this as sarcasm...???

This is all true. I also heard Green's tears cure cancer & he once threw a football over the side of a mountain?

This guy gets it, what was written was suppose to be a joke. A few posters above actually believed what I wrote due to their response. My god, may non of you for the rest of your lives misuse the wrong word here on gopherhole for fear of being corrected a 100 times and whipped ten lashes for the harm you have cause these fine readers and responders of Gopherhole.

Top Bottom