Sick of all Negativity

So goes the fickleness of a fanbase...You didn't see the negativity at 4-0. Now we've got ourselves a losing streak and plenty of ammunition for negativity. It's a message board: a forum for the fanbase.

It's hard for a fanbase on a losing streak to opine in glowing terms.

Go Gophers!

+100

Exactly. Message boards are a real tough guy medium for getting your point across much like the people who comment on Star Trib articles. We are in a losing streak. People have all the sudden lost faith in what Kill and co are trying to do. If we win the next three games those same people will build him a statue.

It's not just this fanbase either. I talked to Iowa fans before the Gopher game and they had pretty much shut it down. Penn State fans thought it was over for good. If Wisconsin, Michigan, or Ohio State lose three games their boards will be identical.

I'm more disappointed in the recruiting there is no way we Gould only have 6 commits at this point. Not to mention we missed on the top talent in the state this year. Can't win without good recruits!

I'm more disappointed in the recruiting there is no way we Gould only have 6 commits at this point. Not to mention we missed on the top talent in the state this year. Can't win without good recruits!

Signing day is still a few months away.

+1 It's not going to cut it at this pace.

News flash:

Can't win with Freshmen and Sophs comprising most, if not all, of the O-Line. Don't over think this.

If the Olsons and other walking wounded return, they've got a good chance at winning a few more games. Nothing against them but if we're rolling the rest of the season with youngsters like Bak, Christensen, and Lenkiewicz, it will be hard to move the ball.

Doesn't get much simpler than that

On the contrary, it's folks that are willing to go along like lemmings with decades of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty football teams are one of our biggest issues. These are the same folks who yell at us to sit down on big third downs. We need more folks who are mad as hell and won't take this nonsense anymore.

What do you think we should do? Egg Kill's house? Boo them when they're not playing well? Not go to games anymore? Talk about how pissed we are on Gopherhole? Not donate to the program anymore?

If you are sick of negativity you might want to try something besides being a sportfan. Sportsfans are negative at every level of every sport from 6th grade traveling girls basketball, to college football, to Australian Rugby teams, to World Cup soccer.

This is my opinion:

Most of the folks on this site, including myself, are die-hard fans - how many people on here have 100 plus posts? I have over 1200, I think (in three years?)... Could I be making better use of my time than posting on a Gopher message board? Of course. But the fact of the matter is, I'm both emotionally and financially vested in the program (I feel I am as much as anybody else on here - and trust me, my wife thinks so too).

Like most others on here, I'm starved for success. There are a lot of things I like about the program and where it's going, which I have pointed out on this site many times. I'm a believer in Kill and have been from day one (and anybody who doesn't believe that can go back to my posts from December of 2010). The players seem like quality people - smart, hardworking, nice people. I actually like the offensive and defensive philosophies a lot (but I am worried that our lack of playmakers on offense is requiring us to rely too heavily on the few that we have, which I think has proven to be true (see our QB injury situation).

All of this said, this is a fan message board of a team of young adults - not babies - who are in no way obligated to read anything on here. Oh, and by the way, the Coach - who, again, I'm a big supporter of - is making over $1million a year to coach a team in a major market. If folks believe there are deficiencies that they want to point out, they have every right to do so. It's something called the first amendment - have some of you heard of it?

If a doctor F's up a surgery, am I going to "strap on the scrubs" and show him/her how it's done? No. Should I be expected to be able to? Do I have a right to criticize the Doctor, or am I only justified in doing so if I can walk into an operating room and do the operation better myself?

Now, some can argue that these guys are 18-23 year-old "kids" and negativity is unfair to them. That's fine. I don't agree with that, but that's fine.

But pointing out obvious deficiencies on a public message board is fair game and if people don't like, they don't have to read it.

And by the way, I can't stand listening to Reusse rip the Gophers (last week, after the UNC deal was announced, he stated on the air, "from now on, I am going to openly root AGAINST the Gophers!!!"), and so when he starts doing it, I change the channel. Same with Souhan, Barreiro, whoever. I don't like it, so I change the station.

But too often, I think, people focus on this so much. And if they think the team is hurt by this, how about the team saying, "Ya know what? People are right! Lets do something about it!"

How about somebody stands up to a certain WI linebacker when he takes the most blatant cheap shot on their starting Quarterback and let him know that's not going to happen again!

I have a former relative that was a pretty successful head college fb coach at the D2 level. I still remember watching his team on one occasion get blasted by another team, and watching that team literally rub his teams' noses in it (shoving the helmets in the ground when getting up, jumping on piles, extra shoves here and there), and it was as though the other team was spitting in their face and they just let them do it.

That's my problem with many of the upper-classmen on this team right now. They've been abused now for so many years now, and they just take it, and take it, and take it. And I'm not saying they have to be cheap about it, but how about hitting a little harder on that next play? Or driving the guy they're blocking back on his butt?

The team doesn't want people ripping on them? They're expected to watch film. They're expected to lift weights, run, and go to class. Many are getting a free education, and will likely be top candidates for jobs after college (assuming they get their degrees) just by being a D1 athlete.

Thus, I think it's fair to expect these guys to show some grit, and not be everybody else's punching bag. Yeah, they may get beat, but at least give the other team some sense that it's not going to be this way for long.

And for me, that's the worst thing a team can show me, and if see it (like I did this past Saturday, specifically with certain upperclassmen on Defense), I'm going to point it out, and sorry - I have every right to do so, like it or not.

I agree with you entirely. I'm very much a Kill supporter! I like a lot he does but there are certainly things I'd do differently too. I get the reasons but canceling NC is more damaging than keeping it. A huge message to our players...present and future..."we suck...I don't believe in you!" We quit on Saturday mid third quarter. We need somebody in the 100 freakin' people to rally things up over there. Tired of the woe is me slumped shoulders, mopey looks when we encounter some adversity. That ain't youth, that's leadership.

Like it or not, if you want to support a Division I college football team, you have to face the fact that there is very little you can do to change things if you don't like what you are seeing. Unless you are a major donor, work inside the program, or are , your opinion means squat. You can spout off on message boards and call in to talk radio all you like, but these are ultimately meaningless gestures. You want to see Kill fired or BCS conference opponents put on the schedule. Then get some T.Boone Pickens money, and make a massive donation. You'll assuredly be given some pull the

I don't have a problem with people being negative about things that are subjective (burning Nelson's redshirt, pulling the UNC game, etc.). This facilitates good discussion and interest in our program. Where I do have a problem is when people overreact and start calling for the firing of a coach just over halfway into his 2nd year. This kind of reactionary nonsense accomplishes nothing but cracking the fanbase. Revisit that thought in year 4 and maybe you'd have a case. Until then, let the new guy try his best to wright the ship.

Like it or not, if you want to support a Division I college football team, you have to face the fact that there is very little you can do to change things if you don't like what you are seeing. Unless you are a major donor, work inside the program, or are , your opinion means squat. You can spout off on message boards and call in to talk radio all you like, but these are ultimately meaningless gestures. You want to see Kill fired or BCS conference opponents put on the schedule. Then get some T.Boone Pickens money, and make a massive donation. You'll assuredly be given some pull the

I don't have a problem with people being negative about things that are subjective (burning Nelson's redshirt, pulling the UNC game, etc.). This facilitates good discussion and interest in our program. Where I do have a problem is when people overreact and start calling for the firing of a coach just over halfway into his 2nd year. This kind of reactionary nonsense accomplishes nothing but cracking the fanbase. Revisit that thought in year 4 and maybe you'd have a case. Until then, let the new guy try his best to wright the ship.

I have seen a lot of people (myself included) question some of his decisions and wonder if he is really the guy to get it done. But where are the calls for his head in year 2? I think most people assume the earliest anything happens is after the 2014 season if we are still struggling to win BIG games at that point. There is a lot of frustration right now but I have not seen people saying Kill should be fired at this point, maybe I am missing those posts.

In college football, turnarounds are rare, and often take alot of time. Kill has prepared us for this, time and again. The fact may very well be that we do not see a "payoff" season here for another decade, and perhaps not under Kill at all. Consistency, and investment are required to truly build a college program. i think we should expect that in Kill's 4th or 5th year here we will see a 8-10 win season, but people simply aren't willing to either wait that long, or are somehow fooling themselves into thinking it simply doesn't take that long in college football, which it does.
Here's what I see:

Nelson looked good to me on Sat. He can run and throw.

We return every O linemen next year, and everyone but 2 the year after that.
Our receiving core and TE's look like they have talent, and can get better. Many are freshmen or sophmores.

Our RB's that play are all sophmores or younger and have shown flashes of good play.
We are reshirting a Top WR, OT, and OG, and have a transfer who started at C for OSU coming into the mix.

Our D under Claeys is fast.

5/6 DE's are sophmores or freshmen.

We return all our DT's next year, and 2 of the top 4 the year after that.

We return all safeties next year, and 2 of the 3 "starters" the year after that.

Our depth is improving, as is our experience. Our schedule will permit young players to gain confidence and PT early the next 2 years to further improve our depth and experience.

In college football, turnarounds are rare, and often take alot of time. Kill has prepared us for this, time and again. The fact may very well be that we do not see a "payoff" season here for another decade, and perhaps not under Kill at all. Consistency, and investment are required to truly build a college program. i think we should expect that in Kill's 4th or 5th year here we will see a 8-10 win season, but people simply aren't willing to either wait that long, or are somehow fooling themselves into thinking it simply doesn't take that long in college football, which it does.
Here's what I see:

Nelson looked good to me on Sat. He can run and throw.

We return every O linemen next year, and everyone but 2 the year after that.
Our receiving core and TE's look like they have talent, and can get better. Many are freshmen or sophmores.

Our RB's that play are all sophmores or younger and have shown flashes of good play.
We are reshirting a Top WR, OT, and OG, and have a transfer who started at C for OSU coming into the mix.

Our D under Claeys is fast.

5/6 DE's are sophmores or freshmen.

We return all our DT's next year, and 2 of the top 4 the year after that.

We return all safeties next year, and 2 of the 3 "starters" the year after that.

Our depth is improving, as is our experience. Our schedule will permit young players to gain confidence and PT early the next 2 years to further improve our depth and experience.

Bingo. This is what I've been saying all along, particularly with the O-Line. O-Line next year will have 7-9 guys that have played major minutes. Same with the year after that. With so many guys getting serious PT this year, and with all of them getting bigger and stronger this offseason, by next fall the cream will really rise to the top.

Linebacker will be a major area of concern though, unless they hit a home run with a JUCO(s) this winter. Hope that's an area of focus.

I have seen a lot of people (myself included) question some of his decisions and wonder if he is really the guy to get it done. But where are the calls for his head in year 2? I think most people assume the earliest anything happens is after the 2014 season if we are still struggling to win BIG games at that point. There is a lot of frustration right now but I have not seen people saying Kill should be fired at this point, maybe I am missing those posts.

I've not seen calls for Kill head on these boards either (yet). But I have heard them on calls to radio programs and in tweets.

Well said. Much of the OP is true. But things were seemingly progressing according to plan, and now there has been a rapid series of occurrences that call into question what the plan really is. The redshirt decision/timing, the UNC scheduling decision, these kinds of things compound the frustration with B1G performance to date.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm definitely questioning the timetable of the plan and the plan itself. Things aren't adding up.

Top Bottom