Sick of all Negativity

Reaction score
This is basically like the thread about KSTP, but I'm getting sick and tired about all the fricking negativity. After 2 years of being a 1-7 team at this point we are 4-3 for gosh sakes. A way much improvement and we still have 5 more games. You got to think we have a Senior QB Marquies Gray who isn't even playing and coaches dread to have experience of a senior taking the snaps. I don't care if he's going to be a WR in the NFL on our team he is missed extremely missed. We saw a sample of him in the NU game and he got what 10 points in less than 2 quarters while Nelson and Shortell got 13 in whole games in the Big 10. We don't have a run offense and you can;t just pass and something clicks when he's QB and running that football he gets 10+ yards a carry plus a few passes here and there. We just haven't seen him start a Big 10 game and finish a Big 10 game. I say when he starts and plays a whole game, we can determine how good they really are. We are 0-3 under non MG and having less than maybe 80 yards in all those games and Gray had over 100 yards in less than 2 quarters. Also Kill is in his 1.5 years here for gosh sakes. Give him a break. Give him time to recruit and we have already seen some good things like going 4-0 in the Big 10. Initially we haven't seen a game with our QB that trained all spring with and summer to start and run the offense and he hasn't played a whole big 10 game.

So goes the fickleness of a fanbase...You didn't see the negativity at 4-0. Now we've got ourselves a losing streak and plenty of ammunition for negativity. It's a message board: a forum for the fanbase.

It's hard for a fanbase on a losing streak to opine in glowing terms.

Go Gophers!

+1

I really don't need to watch the "arm-chair" quarterbacks try to dismantle this program. It's sad.

+1

I really don't need to watch the "arm-chair" quarterbacks try to dismantle this program. It's sad.

So honest question. What is fair game? Are fans supposed to just pretend everything is perfect, the staff can do no wrong, everything is going to turn out perfect in the end because gosh darn it Jerry Kill is the king of coaches and he would never make a mistake or do anything wrong. Nothing we say or do here has any bearing on the program so who gives a crap if fans state their opinions or raise concerns about what they see going on with the program?

This is a message board where fans can discuss the program, GOOD and BAD. Over the last couple of weeks unfotunately the bad has outweighed the good so some negativity should be expected. People are not calling for Jerry's head but that also doesn't mean they need to be thrilled with everything they see taking place on and off the football field. If you don't like negativity stay away from places like this when the team is on a 3 game losing streak in the conference.

It is a cycle that exists on all sports message boards. People are negative and then another group of people react by criticizing the negatvity which in turn makes more people more negative.

Instead of posts criticizing other posters, why don't you post something positive about the program or a player you like?

What are the positives of the program right now?

Whatever the positives are, we need to accentuate them...then eliminate the negatives...hold on to the affirmatives and not mess with rest.

This is basically like the thread about KSTP, but I'm getting sick and tired about all the fricking negativity. After 2 years of being a 1-7 team at this point we are 4-3 for gosh sakes. A way much improvement and we still have 5 more games. You got to think we have a Senior QB Marquies Gray who isn't even playing and coaches dread to have experience of a senior taking the snaps. I don't care if he's going to be a WR in the NFL on our team he is missed extremely missed. We saw a sample of him in the NU game and he got what 10 points in less than 2 quarters while Nelson and Shortell got 13 in whole games in the Big 10. We don't have a run offense and you can;t just pass and something clicks when he's QB and running that football he gets 10+ yards a carry plus a few passes here and there. We just haven't seen him start a Big 10 game and finish a Big 10 game. I say when he starts and plays a whole game, we can determine how good they really are. We are 0-3 under non MG and having less than maybe 80 yards in all those games and Gray had over 100 yards in less than 2 quarters. Also Kill is in his 1.5 years here for gosh sakes. Give him a break. Give him time to recruit and we have already seen some good things like going 4-0 in the Big 10. Initially we haven't seen a game with our QB that trained all spring with and summer to start and run the offense and he hasn't played a whole big 10 game.

I think as loyal fans we have a right to be upset. I would be more worried if no one was upset about how the Gophs have looked in the Big ten so far, that would mean our expectations are cemented at a low level. We are expect because we want more and after 45 years we deserve more. We are hungry for it, this is something this state is ready for.

I think as loyal fans we have a right to be upset. I would be more worried if no one was upset about how the Gophs have looked in the Big ten so far, that would mean our expectations are cemented at a low level. We are expect because we want more and after 45 years we deserve more. We are hungry for it, this is something this state is ready for.

And incessant negativity is gonna help get us there?

Whatever the positives are, we need to accentuate them...then eliminate the negatives...hold on to the affirmatives and not mess with rest.

Wow that took me back. My Grandpa had an 8 track player in his old car and that song got played all the time. Small correction thoug I believe we need to latch on to the affirmative and don't mess with Mr. In-Between.

And incessant negativity is gonna help get us there?

incessant negativity will have the same impact as unwavering positivity in terms of getting there considering we have no affect on what actually happens with the program.

incessant negativity will have the same impact as unwavering positivity in terms of getting there considering we have no affect on what actually happens with the program.

Wait a minute, MNVCGUY...Instead of carrying on with incessant negativity or unwavering positivity, how about the bellyachers become active participants and become part of the solution, instead of continuing to be part of the problem by being never ending anonymous complainants? Oh, wait, never mind. I know the answer.

Wait a minute, MNVCGUY...Instead of carrying on with incessant negativity or unwavering positivity, how about the bellyachers become active participants and become part of the solution, instead of continuing to be part of the problem by being never ending anonymous complainants? Oh, wait, never mind. I know the answer.

How does that person become part of the solution any more than they are part of the problem? Nothing we do or say here will change what Jerry Kill does with the program.

1. Lots of young guys getting experience.
2. Much improved pass defense and pressure on the QB.
3. We didn't lose to teams like New Mexico St. and NDSU this year.
4. You're not running the program.

This is just where we, the diehard fans who will generally back the program through almost anything, clash with those reactionaries who get interested in the program when it might be on the upslope. The problem is those reactionaries don't understand that Rome wasn't built in a day, and haven't followed this team long enough to know that wild mood-swings just end up burning you out.

Then there's the third, small but vocal group, largely composed of media, who believe they can sell more papers or ad revenue if they go hard negative, and create a sour line whenever they can.

The trick for us diehards is, continuing our support without letting the reactionaries and negatives drive us out.

How does that person become part of the solution any more than they are part of the problem? Nothing we do or say here will change what Jerry Kill does with the program.

It relates to the old adage, "Talk is cheap. It takes money to by whiskey."

What I mean by that is simply this. Stop the bellyaching, put on the pads, walk on and prove to the kids busting their butts that you (the bellyacher, whomever it may be) can do it better, and as a result does something about it instead of just complaining.

I was never gifted enough to even be able to try DO something about it, so I decided I would support the team by taking the road I have taken. That is the best I can do, but I will never, ever, complain about the kid who is willing to try his best to actually help, through deeds and actions, and not words.

Go Gophers!!!

On the contrary, it's folks that are willing to go along like lemmings with decades of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty football teams are one of our biggest issues. These are the same folks who yell at us to sit down on big third downs. We need more folks who are mad as hell and won't take this nonsense anymore.

I can think of plenty of positives in the program right now.

1) We're 4-3 after two consecutive 3-9 campaigns, that's a positive step.
2) Our pass defense has been quite good actually, we're getting QB pressure and making plays in that part of the game.
3) We've got some young guys who are showing flashes of making potential big time impact later in their careers.
4) Philip Nelson didn't crap the bed last week. I'm taking that as a positive.
5) Our home performance this year so far has been vastly improved over previous seasons, when we saw the likes of NMSU and NDSU literally beat us up and down the field.
6) We need two wins to make a bowl game with 5 games to do it. Better than needing 5 wins in 5 games like we did last year.
7) Regardless of the way this season finishes, there will be a lot of players returning who should help this team be better next year.
8) At his last two stops, Kill's third season has resulted in a big step up in wins. I'm not saying we'll suddenly leap from 5, 6 wins this year to 10, but I do think 8 is not out of the question considering the number of returning players and the few losses we will have.
9) We have a head coach who isn't gonna succumb to all this "negativity" that's out there and change what he believes. He's gonna do what he thinks is right, no matter what outsiders may say about him. I can appreciate that.

There's a lot to be done to get this program clicking a little bit, but I do think we're at least showing some signs. You hate seeing the team flop at times during games, but it really shouldn't be a shock to see it happen. When you're building up something, most times the curve isn't a perfect straight line up. You're gonna have a few dips here and there.

All of this said, negativity is going to be there. We have lost three straight games, it felt like at least two of them were "winnable", so yes, there's disappointment and negative vibes. I wouldn't really worry about them, in due time, they'll disappear as the W's start to stack up.

This is just where we, the diehard fans who will generally back the program through almost anything, clash with those reactionaries who get interested in the program when it might be on the upslope. The problem is those reactionaries don't understand that Rome wasn't built in a day, and haven't followed this team long enough to know that wild mood-swings just end up burning you out.

Then there's the third, small but vocal group, largely composed of media, who believe they can sell more papers or ad revenue if they go hard negative, and create a sour line whenever they can.

The trick for us diehards is, continuing our support without letting the reactionaries and negatives drive us out.

GBG, I think it may have been. At least it was according to this guy that stopped by my house last week. He told me the whole world was built in just 6 days....his patience with the program is undoubtedly wearing thin.

So honest question. What is fair game? Are fans supposed to just pretend everything is perfect, the staff can do no wrong, everything is going to turn out perfect in the end because gosh darn it Jerry Kill is the king of coaches and he would never make a mistake or do anything wrong. Nothing we say or do here has any bearing on the program so who gives a crap if fans state their opinions or raise concerns about what they see going on with the program?

This is a message board where fans can discuss the program, GOOD and BAD. Over the last couple of weeks unfotunately the bad has outweighed the good so some negativity should be expected. People are not calling for Jerry's head but that also doesn't mean they need to be thrilled with everything they see taking place on and off the football field. If you don't like negativity stay away from places like this when the team is on a 3 game losing streak in the conference.

Well said. Much of the OP is true. But things were seemingly progressing according to plan, and now there has been a rapid series of occurrences that call into question what the plan really is. The redshirt decision/timing, the UNC scheduling decision, these kinds of things compound the frustration with B1G performance to date.

I can think of plenty of positives in the program right now.

1) We're 4-3 after two consecutive 3-9 campaigns, that's a positive step.
2) Our pass defense has been quite good actually, we're getting QB pressure and making plays in that part of the game.
3) We've got some young guys who are showing flashes of making potential big time impact later in their careers.
4) Philip Nelson didn't crap the bed last week. I'm taking that as a positive.
5) Our home performance this year so far has been vastly improved over previous seasons, when we saw the likes of NMSU and NDSU literally beat us up and down the field.
6) We need two wins to make a bowl game with 5 games to do it. Better than needing 5 wins in 5 games like we did last year.
7) Regardless of the way this season finishes, there will be a lot of players returning who should help this team be better next year.
8) At his last two stops, Kill's third season has resulted in a big step up in wins. I'm not saying we'll suddenly leap from 5, 6 wins this year to 10, but I do think 8 is not out of the question considering the number of returning players and the few losses we will have.
9) We have a head coach who isn't gonna succumb to all this "negativity" that's out there and change what he believes. He's gonna do what he thinks is right, no matter what outsiders may say about him. I can appreciate that.

There's a lot to be done to get this program clicking a little bit, but I do think we're at least showing some signs. You hate seeing the team flop at times during games, but it really shouldn't be a shock to see it happen. When you're building up something, most times the curve isn't a perfect straight line up. You're gonna have a few dips here and there.

All of this said, negativity is going to be there. We have lost three straight games, it felt like at least two of them were "winnable", so yes, there's disappointment and negative vibes. I wouldn't really worry about them, in due time, they'll disappear as the W's start to stack up.

Here Here! :)

Well said. Much of the OP is true. But things were seemingly progressing according to plan, and now there has been a rapid series of occurrences that call into question what the plan really is. The redshirt decision/timing, the UNC scheduling decision, these kinds of things compound the frustration with B1G performance to date.

Yep, you got it. Program is in panic mode; we need to get lucky this Sat.

1. Lots of young guys getting experience.
2. Much improved pass defense and pressure on the QB.
3. We didn't lose to teams like New Mexico St. and NDSU this year.
4. You're not running the program.

Every year "young guys get experience"
Pass defense has been great.
It's nice to start beating the teams we are supposed to
And if I was running the program we would be ranked #1 overall because like everyone else on this message board, I'm the smartest guy in the room

I think there is yet another group. The ones who follow the team closely, but swear on a stack of bibles they are done, done, done, every time there is a bad loss, and then come right back like a moth to a flame.

The are the most fun to follow on Gopherhole.

This is my opinion:

Most of the folks on this site, including myself, are die-hard fans - how many people on here have 100 plus posts? I have over 1200, I think (in three years?)... Could I be making better use of my time than posting on a Gopher message board? Of course. But the fact of the matter is, I'm both emotionally and financially vested in the program (I feel I am as much as anybody else on here - and trust me, my wife thinks so too).

Like most others on here, I'm starved for success. There are a lot of things I like about the program and where it's going, which I have pointed out on this site many times. I'm a believer in Kill and have been from day one (and anybody who doesn't believe that can go back to my posts from December of 2010). The players seem like quality people - smart, hardworking, nice people. I actually like the offensive and defensive philosophies a lot (but I am worried that our lack of playmakers on offense is requiring us to rely too heavily on the few that we have, which I think has proven to be true (see our QB injury situation).

All of this said, this is a fan message board of a team of young adults - not babies - who are in no way obligated to read anything on here. Oh, and by the way, the Coach - who, again, I'm a big supporter of - is making over $1million a year to coach a team in a major market. If folks believe there are deficiencies that they want to point out, they have every right to do so. It's something called the first amendment - have some of you heard of it?

If a doctor F's up a surgery, am I going to "strap on the scrubs" and show him/her how it's done? No. Should I be expected to be able to? Do I have a right to criticize the Doctor, or am I only justified in doing so if I can walk into an operating room and do the operation better myself?

Now, some can argue that these guys are 18-23 year-old "kids" and negativity is unfair to them. That's fine. I don't agree with that, but that's fine.

But pointing out obvious deficiencies on a public message board is fair game and if people don't like, they don't have to read it.

And by the way, I can't stand listening to Reusse rip the Gophers (last week, after the UNC deal was announced, he stated on the air, "from now on, I am going to openly root AGAINST the Gophers!!!"), and so when he starts doing it, I change the channel. Same with Souhan, Barreiro, whoever. I don't like it, so I change the station.

But too often, I think, people focus on this so much. And if they think the team is hurt by this, how about the team saying, "Ya know what? People are right! Lets do something about it!"

How about somebody stands up to a certain WI linebacker when he takes the most blatant cheap shot on their starting Quarterback and let him know that's not going to happen again!

I have a former relative that was a pretty successful head college fb coach at the D2 level. I still remember watching his team on one occasion get blasted by another team, and watching that team literally rub his teams' noses in it (shoving the helmets in the ground when getting up, jumping on piles, extra shoves here and there), and it was as though the other team was spitting in their face and they just let them do it.

That's my problem with many of the upper-classmen on this team right now. They've been abused now for so many years now, and they just take it, and take it, and take it. And I'm not saying they have to be cheap about it, but how about hitting a little harder on that next play? Or driving the guy they're blocking back on his butt?

The team doesn't want people ripping on them? They're expected to watch film. They're expected to lift weights, run, and go to class. Many are getting a free education, and will likely be top candidates for jobs after college (assuming they get their degrees) just by being a D1 athlete.

Thus, I think it's fair to expect these guys to show some grit, and not be everybody else's punching bag. Yeah, they may get beat, but at least give the other team some sense that it's not going to be this way for long.

And for me, that's the worst thing a team can show me, and if see it (like I did this past Saturday, specifically with certain upperclassmen on Defense), I'm going to point it out, and sorry - I have every right to do so, like it or not.

I always thought nukes would be a great first option if victory was out of our grasp.

Top Bottom