SI: Why the Gophers blowing shot to win Big Ten West is extra painful

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

This is the dilemma Gopher fans are dealing with after the victory over the Badgers. Before Fleck arrived in 2017, the Badgers were in the middle of a 14-game winning streak over Minnesota. Fleck has gone 3-3 against Wisconsin but he also has failed to take the Gophers to a higher level.

Sure, there was the 11-win season in 2019 that was expected to be a springboard for Gopher football, but it wound up being a plateau – especially considering the opportunity the Gophers had this season.

Minnesota started 4-0 by thoroughly dominating New Mexico State, Western Illinois, Colorado and Michigan State by a combined score of 183-24. National analysts hopped on the bandwagon including FOX Sports' Joel Klatt, who dubbed the Gophers a candidate for the College Football Playoff.

The optimist will point at a recruiting class that at one point ranked in the top 10 nationally, but that group has since fallen to 45th and ninth in the Big Ten. With Ibrahim and NFL center prospect John Michael Schmitz departing, the Gophers' hopes for improvement look bleak – especially with Ohio State and Michigan on next year's schedule.

Other developments around the Big Ten will make the Gophers' path to a conference championship even harder. Wisconsin and Nebraska both made coaching upgrades last weekend with Luke Fickell and Matt Rhule while three-time Big Ten champion Brett Bielema isn't likely to let Illinois fade away.

This isn't just limited to 2023 as USC and UCLA will soon join the Big Ten. Lincoln Riley cracked the transfer portal wide open this past offseason, luring Heisman Trophy frontrunner Caleb Williams to play for the Trojans and handing top receiver prospect Jordan Addison a $1.4 million NIL deal with American Airlines to come to Los Angeles.

UCLA likely has the same means to pull off similar deals to load up for their transition to the Big Ten and unless the Gophers can find more recruits with a passion for Gushers, it could be hard for them to keep up.

There's more...

The landscape of college football will change dramatically with the shift to a 12-team playoff format and it could alter the way the Big Ten is set up.

The Big 12 did away with divisions when it reinstated its conference championship game in 2017 and had the two teams with the best record play for the title. The PAC-12 is in its first year of this format and the SEC recently announced it will scrap divisions with Oklahoma and Texas arriving in 2025.

With an automatic playoff berth given to the conference champions, the Big Ten could look at itself and decide it wouldn't want an eight-win Boilermaker team sneaking its way into the 12-team field. They could also benefit from the insane amount of cash that would roll in for a Michigan-Ohio State rematch as opposed to Saturday's Michigan-Purdue matchup where the Wolverines are favored by 16.5 points.

This creates a scenario where the Gophers would have to jump USC, UCLA, Michigan, Ohio State, or some other Big Ten power just to have a chance to play for a conference title – making this past season their best chance to win for the foreseeable future.

Go Gophers!!

per Chad:

This is the dilemma Gopher fans are dealing with after the victory over the Badgers. Before Fleck arrived in 2017, the Badgers were in the middle of a 14-game winning streak over Minnesota. Fleck has gone 3-3 against Wisconsin but he also has failed to take the Gophers to a higher level.

Sure, there was the 11-win season in 2019 that was expected to be a springboard for Gopher football, but it wound up being a plateau – especially considering the opportunity the Gophers had this season.

Minnesota started 4-0 by thoroughly dominating New Mexico State, Western Illinois, Colorado and Michigan State by a combined score of 183-24. National analysts hopped on the bandwagon including FOX Sports' Joel Klatt, who dubbed the Gophers a candidate for the College Football Playoff.

The optimist will point at a recruiting class that at one point ranked in the top 10 nationally, but that group has since fallen to 45th and ninth in the Big Ten. With Ibrahim and NFL center prospect John Michael Schmitz departing, the Gophers' hopes for improvement look bleak – especially with Ohio State and Michigan on next year's schedule.

Other developments around the Big Ten will make the Gophers' path to a conference championship even harder. Wisconsin and Nebraska both made coaching upgrades last weekend with Luke Fickell and Matt Rhule while three-time Big Ten champion Brett Bielema isn't likely to let Illinois fade away.

This isn't just limited to 2023 as USC and UCLA will soon join the Big Ten. Lincoln Riley cracked the transfer portal wide open this past offseason, luring Heisman Trophy frontrunner Caleb Williams to play for the Trojans and handing top receiver prospect Jordan Addison a $1.4 million NIL deal with American Airlines to come to Los Angeles.

UCLA likely has the same means to pull off similar deals to load up for their transition to the Big Ten and unless the Gophers can find more recruits with a passion for Gushers, it could be hard for them to keep up.

There's more...

The landscape of college football will change dramatically with the shift to a 12-team playoff format and it could alter the way the Big Ten is set up.

The Big 12 did away with divisions when it reinstated its conference championship game in 2017 and had the two teams with the best record play for the title. The PAC-12 is in its first year of this format and the SEC recently announced it will scrap divisions with Oklahoma and Texas arriving in 2025.

With an automatic playoff berth given to the conference champions, the Big Ten could look at itself and decide it wouldn't want an eight-win Boilermaker team sneaking its way into the 12-team field. They could also benefit from the insane amount of cash that would roll in for a Michigan-Ohio State rematch as opposed to Saturday's Michigan-Purdue matchup where the Wolverines are favored by 16.5 points.

This creates a scenario where the Gophers would have to jump USC, UCLA, Michigan, Ohio State, or some other Big Ten power just to have a chance to play for a conference title – making this past season their best chance to win for the foreseeable future.

Go Gophers!!
If they manipulate that part above, it will effectively end College sports for about 80-90% of teams. If they eliminate divisions, then it’s just you have to win the games in front of you. But agreed it gets massively harder going forward and will be looked at as missing our best chance to play in a big ten title game for the foreseeable future given we can’t match the big players of college football in this current landscape

Winning the West was at best a participation ribbon that a West team took to Indianapolis to be thrashed by the winner of the East. Not winning the West this year really means nothing.
The new system without divisions and the twelve-team finals means that the two BIG teams that play for the championship and one or two more BIG teams will be in the final twelve.
So there is no need to close the program, just shoot to get into the top four in the conference.
That is what the WI AD saw and decided to hire Fickell and not stay mired in mediocrity.

shut up and win, if you want to compete for titles you have to at least handle your conference first.....

Going to be a heck of a lot tougher with USC, UCLA, NIL and the new coaches. Seems like a murderers row every week! I think that NIL might just ruin things more than the new coaches or teams coming in but that’s just me.

If they manipulate that part above, it will effectively end College sports for about 80-90% of teams.
It's that way now. If your team plays in the Sun Belt or C-USA or any G5 conference, your chances of winning a national title are about 0.0001%. Which is why for years I've been saying any expansion should be all ten FBS conference champions and 2 (if a 12 team playoff) or 6 (if a 16 team playoff) at large teams. Otherwise, these teams are literally playing for nothing.

I sure wish we were playing this Saturday night. I already miss the Saturday's with gopher football.

Or set a more realistic goal and be more aware of what success actually looks like here.

Amen. I'm in the minority here but I was saddened by the decision to expand the FBS playoff. Too many people are too brainwashed to realize that FBS football for a very long time had something special: half the teams who participated in postseason would be able to win their last game. These games weren't playoff games. They were encore performances where you had the opportunity to be matched against, hopefully, a team of roughly equivalent quality outside of your conference and had the chance to end your season on a high note. In a playoff system, every team except one loses its final game.

For most of FBS history, we didn't even have a single game playoff. The top team was just selected by vote and the rankings were just a consensus order of the top 25. That system didn't prevent fans from enjoying the season and didn't make the bowls "meaningless." Fans attended them in large numbers or watched them on television with great enthusiasm.

Amen. I'm in the minority here but I was saddened by the decision to expand the FBS playoff. Too many people are too brainwashed to realize that FBS football for a very long time had something special: half the teams who participated in postseason would be able to win their last game. These games weren't playoff games. They were encore performances where you had the opportunity to be matched against, hopefully, a team of roughly equivalent quality outside of your conference and had the chance to end your season on a high note. In a playoff system, every team except one loses its final game.

For most of FBS history, we didn't even have a single game playoff. The top team was just selected by vote and the rankings were just a consensus order of the top 25. That system didn't prevent fans from enjoying the season and didn't make the bowls "meaningless." Fans attended them in large numbers or watched them on television with great enthusiasm.
I agree with that the way it’s expanding

A 12 team playoff with 10 conference champions and 2 at larges that has to be 9-12 seeds would actually enhance the regular season.

In that case almost every game all year means more. Georgia and Michigan would be the only two teams definitely safe this weekend.
And by definitely safe: a win puts them at home for one game to get to final 4 and a loss puts them on the road for two games to get the final 4

Every at large bid that exists devalues the regular season.
Right now there are 4 at larges. Looks like it will expand to 6 at largest PLUS 6 conference champions. Waters down regular season.

I also think it’s overblown that a 4 team playoff is what is devaluing regular bowls.
There were 23 bowls in 1999
34 in 2009
43 now. That’s what is devaluing bowls more than a 4 team playoff. A bowl used to be a big deal. Now it isn’t. And it isn’t because they aren’t playing for a national championship. They never were before.

Bowls used to be a huge deal because you weren’t in them every year.
Minnesota is by most regards a middling program at best. Minnesota has been to a bowl 18 of the past 24 years even through all the transitions of coaches.

Last edited:

I also think it’s overblown that a 4 team playoff is what is devaluing regular bowls.
There were 23 bowls in 1999
34 in 2009
43 now. That’s what is devaluing bowls more than a 4 team playoff. A bowl used to be a big deal. Now it isn’t. And it isn’t because they aren’t playing for a national championship. They never were before.

Bowls used to be a huge deal because you weren’t in them every year.
Minnesota is by most regards a middling program at best. Minnesota has been to a bowl 18 of the past 24 years even through all the transitions of coaches.

I don't have a problem with a 4 team playoff.

I also don't have a problem with the expansion of the number of bowl games although 41 may be too many. I view these as encore performances, not badges of great merit. I've enjoyed watching some of these teams that I never would have watched during the regular season. A game between two teams perceived as mediocre can be enjoyable if the teams are well matched.

back to the point of the article:

whether you like the current system or not, the article makes a valid point. This year may have been the Gophers' best chance to play for a conference title.

nobody knows what the future might bring. The Gophers might win a B1G title in the future, or they might not.

but we know what was on the table this season - a very winnable division. and the Gophers - for various reasons - missed out on that opportunity.

that is why some people will look at this season as a disappointment, no matter how many games the team wins. Similar to 2019 - 11 wins looks great, but no division title or B1G title.

now, if winning conference titles is not the goal, or if you believe that goal is unreachable, then that's a different discussion.

NIL would be of benefit if all of us just kicked in $25000 each year to the fund.

Top Bottom