SI: Three words define PJ Fleck's career at Minnesota: 'It's on me'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Joe:

"I think both teams showed a lot of resolve," Fleck said during his postgame press conference. "I think it was a heck of a football game. Unfortunately, we came down to a few plays that we weren't able to make. [We] weren't able to finish the game on offense. [We] weren't able to finish the game on defense. And that starts with me. 100 percent. [We] weren't able to get it done."

Two days later Fleck uttered the "on me" phrase again.

"One play, breakdown in communication. Shouldn't happen, can't happen. I gotta do a better job coaching it. Simple. It all falls on me anyway, but you can't have that lack of communication where you think you have a little bit more support inside than you think you do when you don't," Fleck said Monday. "That's a miscommunication piece and that falls on the coaching staff."

Go Gophers!!

What a great deal for Bring Me The News. They get to have people thinking the things they write are actually Sports Illustrated.

Even here Bleed incorrectly labels it a “SI” article, when no one actually on the SI staff came within 1000miles of this piece.

Wonder how much they have to pay SI for the re-direct “branding”?

He said the same on his radio show today. And his responses to the questions that were posed to him about the problems in the return game did not inspire confidence.

Gaard asked about the return game, said something like, "You have to feel for Sean Tyler, what he's gone through, has two hands on the ball and puts it on the ground, how do you get more out of the return game?" Fleck's response was to repeat: "Be more consistent." Gaard tried to get him to elaborate on what he meant by that and he veered the conversation over to talk about how steady Crawford and Kesich have been.

Much like his timeouts and depth chart secrecy leading up to a game, "It's on me" is just PJ being PJ. People can get up in arms but what do you want from him? If he says something else you'll just get pissed about that instead. Im not a player on his team, I'm not one of his coaches, he's simply fulfilling an obligation to talk to the media and he's trying to be as milquetoast as possible. He owes us NOTHING but wins. The media baloney is just that, baloney. You do you PJ, just win the next one.

This country is so fucked with the feeding frenzy and instant gratification created by constant connectivity.

Much like his timeouts and depth chart secrecy leading up to a game, "It's on me" is just PJ being PJ. People can get up in arms but what do you want from him? If he says something else you'll just get pissed about that instead. Im not a player on his team, I'm not one of his coaches, he's simply fulfilling an obligation to talk to the media and he's trying to be as milquetoast as possible. He owes us NOTHING but wins. The media baloney is just that, baloney. You do you PJ, just win the next one.

This country is so fucked with the feeding frenzy and instant gratification created by constant connectivity.
Yea, OK. He is obligated to the media, fans and the university to talk about the game. He was hired because of the perceived electrification of the media and fans by him, to excite the program which the regime before was claimed not to have done. He was good at that but that is all he has. He is not a football X and O guy therefor he is lost. What he owes us is to not screw the pooch against teams like the one we played last week and when these games are lost, he has no idea what to say. Say what you want about the country but watching 7 years of this type of thing, it is hardly instant gratification needs. He is right, it is on him I and We season ticket holders deserve a better explanation.

Yea, OK. He is obligated to the media, fans and the university to talk about the game. He was hired because of the perceived electrification of the media and fans by him, to excite the program which the regime before was claimed not to have done. He was good at that but that is all he has. He is not a football X and O guy therefor he is lost. What he owes us is to not screw the pooch against teams like the one we played last week and when these games are lost, he has no idea what to say. Say what you want about the country but watching 7 years of this type of thing, it is hardly instant gratification needs. He is right, it is on him I and We season ticket holders deserve a better explanation.
I don't need an explanation, I watched the game happen in front of me. I saw the lack of competence in several areas firsthand. I also saw the coaching staff put the team in a position to win at the end and the players fuck off. I have no interest in Fleck coming to the podium and throwing the kids under the bus like Deion, or telling me how one or two of his decisions fucked things up a bit and caused the loss. I can see with my own two eyes. Anything he says after a loss is patronizing to me, I understand football. Him telling us he's a dunce or whatever the fuck it is you want him to say does nothing but feeds your anger and your inflated self importance that you know better than he does and that he's somehow a terrible football coach even though the past five years say otherwise. This is such an exhausted fucking take, quit being so God blessed miserable and move on.

Also, if your role as a season ticket holder is so important why don't you get off GopherHole and start raising some fucking money so whatever it is that's making you unhappy doesn't keep on happening? Because in the current cfb environment where winning is apparently so fucking easy, some schlub watching the game from their armchair can do better than the head coach and money has absolutely nothing to do with long term success. I have season tickets too, but I'm pretty fucking happy with the state of the program. But I guess that just makes me "comfortable with mediocrity." That take can fuck off too, we're never getting a national title or sniffing the playoff here without a major overhaul to NIL or a major investment. Get over it, enjoy the trophy wins and the outback bowl once every 15 years, and be realistic. If you want glory follow Ohio State or an SEC school, or hope some fucking ghost donor drops $2 billion on the football program.

This is as ranty as I'll ever get but holy fuck are some of you exhaustingly miserable human beings. And hey, maybe I'm in the severe minority, but happiness is fleeting and if you're searching for the meaning of life in Gopher football, you need to reassess things.

I mean, how do you really feel about this...

I don't need an explanation, I watched the game happen in front of me. I saw the lack of competence in several areas firsthand. I also saw the coaching staff put the team in a position to win at the end and the players fuck off. I have no interest in Fleck coming to the podium and throwing the kids under the bus like Deion, or telling me how one or two of his decisions fucked things up a bit and caused the loss. I can see with my own two eyes. Anything he says after a loss is patronizing to me, I understand football. Him telling us he's a dunce or whatever the fuck it is you want him to say does nothing but feeds your anger and your inflated self importance that you know better than he does and that he's somehow a terrible football coach even though the past five years say otherwise. This is such an exhausted fucking take, quit being so God blessed miserable and move on.

Also, if your role as a season ticket holder is so important why don't you get off GopherHole and start raising some fucking money so whatever it is that's making you unhappy doesn't keep on happening? Because in the current cfb environment where winning is apparently so fucking easy, some schlub watching the game from their armchair can do better than the head coach and money has absolutely nothing to do with long term success. I have season tickets too, but I'm pretty fucking happy with the state of the program. But I guess that just makes me "comfortable with mediocrity." That take can fuck off too, we're never getting a national title or sniffing the playoff here without a major overhaul to NIL or a major investment. Get over it, enjoy the trophy wins and the outback bowl once every 15 years, and be realistic. If you want glory follow Ohio State or an SEC school, or hope some fucking ghost donor drops $2 billion on the football program.

This is as ranty as I'll ever get but holy fuck are some of you exhaustingly miserable human beings. And hey, maybe I'm in the severe minority, but happiness is fleeting and if you're searching for the meaning of life in Gopher football, you need to reassess things.
Wow, sure you are OK?

as a Coach, if you're going to say "It's all on me," then I think it's perfectly understandable for fans and the media to ask the question "what is on you? what did you do - or not do - that resulted in the team losing a game?"

But with Fleck, we get "It's all on me," but we never hear anything else. it doesn't sound like he's offering us an explanation. it sounds like something he says just out of habit.

To be clear - I do NOT think Fleck is a bad coach - but I do dislike his style of communicating.

Another nugget from the radio show: When discussing QB play, the subject of a transfer QB was brought up briefly...at which point Fleck said that they're not really interested in that, they like to develop quarterbacks.
I like singing along to the radio, doesn't mean I should be on stage.

PJ chooses not to undress players in public which is classy. That being said “it’s on me” rings hollow when it’s on everyone including coaches and players. I want him to blow up, go old school, and break a clipboard over his knee like I did coaching junior high football! It will set him free

The bolded here is straight garbage. People want to know why Fleck keeps losing games to Illinois, Bowling Green, Purdue, Northwestern, and Iowa that have been the difference between a B1G West title and another trip to the Outback Bowl (or better) and a season where we end up in one of the bottom tier B1G bowls. This has NOTHING to do with NIL. It actually hurts the NIL argument when you lose these games. If you can't beat a Northwestern team that hasn't won a B1G game in over a season...why would you think any amount of $$$ would ever put you in a position to beat Michigan?

PJ says it's on him, but he doesn't say ANYTHING that inspires any belief that he will ever change. He actually has thrown players under the bus (to a degree). After the Northwestern debacle he mentioned several times that the final 3rd down before his decision to punt that Darius Taylor should have cut the run inside instead of going outside. After Illinois he made comments about Athan doing the same thing and not cutting the run inside and also how the pass on 3rd down was open. He was right in all 3 instances, and I don't mind him saying it (except given all that happened in the Northwestern game talking about one minor mistake by Darius seemed ridiculous to me). When questioned about his decisions before halftime to run the ball before setting up the FG. He again mentioned this fear of getting sacked and being taken out of FG range...just like his explanation for his calls against MSU. That last drive of the first half took 7:23 off the clock and only covered 53 yards. When you purposefully shorten the game, EVERY mistake is magnified. When you are playing an opponent with 1 B1G win that is 4-9 in its last 13 games...why are you trying to increase variance by limiting possessions? Another example: After the turnover to start the 2nd half, Athan finds Crooms for a should be score...and he drops it. Big mistake. Ok, why is the 2nd and 10 play from the 12 yard line a run play? Why would you ever play for 3rd down in that down and distance when up 3 and the difference between being up 6 and up 10 is enormous? We end up gaining a whopping 3 yards to have the advantage of facing a 3rd and 7 instead of a 3rd and 10...and then we don't even get a pass off on 3rd down. If you look at our history this year, we've run the ball a ridiculous amount on 2nd and long and it has rarely resulted in getting close enough to run the ball again on 3rd down much less actually garnering a 1st.

If we're going to continue to play this white knuckle it/scared/conservative style of football, we need to be "Elite" in areas that we're terrible at. A kick returner can't decide to return a kick that he's not positive will get him out past the 25 yard line (much less fumble the ball). Our last two punts, Crawford punted from our 48 and our 45. We didn't even pin Illinois inside the 10 on either of these. Illinois starts on their 19 and then on their 16. If we're going to play this style, we have to have an offense that can execute in short clock situations just as much as we need a defense that can shut the door when it has the opportunity. In Fleck's entire tenure we've shown zero ability to score in a scenario like Saturday where we had 50 seconds and 2 timeouts and needed a FG to win a game. That's an eternity in college football and we couldn't even complete a single pass to get the drive started.

On Saturday, Illinois had three turnovers and a missed fg. The Gophers had one turnover. That's like Fleck's entire "ball is the program" mantra. That should be the perfect recipe for an easy blowout win at home over a 1 win B1G team. Instead it was another loss and people are justifiably wondering what it takes for Fleck to "change his best" and realize that this style of football doesn't get it done in the weak B1G West and certainly won't get it done against the much tougher schedules to come.

The bolded here is straight garbage. People want to know why Fleck keeps losing games to Illinois, Bowling Green, Purdue, Northwestern, and Iowa that have been the difference between a B1G West title and another trip to the Outback Bowl (or better) and a season where we end up in one of the bottom tier B1G bowls. This has NOTHING to do with NIL. It actually hurts the NIL argument when you lose these games. If you can't beat a Northwestern team that hasn't won a B1G game in over a season...why would you think any amount of $$$ would ever put you in a position to beat Michigan?

PJ says it's on him, but he doesn't say ANYTHING that inspires any belief that he will ever change. He actually has thrown players under the bus (to a degree). After the Northwestern debacle he mentioned several times that the final 3rd down before his decision to punt that Darius Taylor should have cut the run inside instead of going outside. After Illinois he made comments about Athan doing the same thing and not cutting the run inside and also how the pass on 3rd down was open. He was right in all 3 instances, and I don't mind him saying it (except given all that happened in the Northwestern game talking about one minor mistake by Darius seemed ridiculous to me). When questioned about his decisions before halftime to run the ball before setting up the FG. He again mentioned this fear of getting sacked and being taken out of FG range...just like his explanation for his calls against MSU. That last drive of the first half took 7:23 off the clock and only covered 53 yards. When you purposefully shorten the game, EVERY mistake is magnified. When you are playing an opponent with 1 B1G win that is 4-9 in its last 13 games...why are you trying to increase variance by limiting possessions? Another example: After the turnover to start the 2nd half, Athan finds Crooms for a should be score...and he drops it. Big mistake. Ok, why is the 2nd and 10 play from the 12 yard line a run play? Why would you ever play for 3rd down in that down and distance when up 3 and the difference between being up 6 and up 10 is enormous? We end up gaining a whopping 3 yards to have the advantage of facing a 3rd and 7 instead of a 3rd and 10...and then we don't even get a pass off on 3rd down. If you look at our history this year, we've run the ball a ridiculous amount on 2nd and long and it has rarely resulted in getting close enough to run the ball again on 3rd down much less actually garnering a 1st.

If we're going to continue to play this white knuckle it/scared/conservative style of football, we need to be "Elite" in areas that we're terrible at. A kick returner can't decide to return a kick that he's not positive will get him out past the 25 yard line (much less fumble the ball). Our last two punts, Crawford punted from our 48 and our 45. We didn't even pin Illinois inside the 10 on either of these. Illinois starts on their 19 and then on their 16. If we're going to play this style, we have to have an offense that can execute in short clock situations just as much as we need a defense that can shut the door when it has the opportunity. In Fleck's entire tenure we've shown zero ability to score in a scenario like Saturday where we had 50 seconds and 2 timeouts and needed a FG to win a game. That's an eternity in college football and we couldn't even complete a single pass to get the drive started.

On Saturday, Illinois had three turnovers and a missed fg. The Gophers had one turnover. That's like Fleck's entire "ball is the program" mantra. That should be the perfect recipe for an easy blowout win at home over a 1 win B1G team. Instead it was another loss and people are justifiably wondering what it takes for Fleck to "change his best" and realize that this style of football doesn't get it done in the weak B1G West and certainly won't get it done against the much tougher schedules to come.
The bolded is not garbage. I can nitpick the shit out of every little thing just like you did, but at the end of the day none of it matters, we lost. The players had a chance to clinch it, they didn't, life goes on, get over it. You talk as if we've been this superpower for the last 20 years instead of a basement dwelling, Oliver Twist "Please sir, more porridge" type of a football program for the better part of 40+ years before Fleck got here and you're just flabbergasted that we're losing games we should've won when there's literally a sentiment along the lines of "Typical Minnesota" uttered by each and every person when things start to go upside down.

Enjoy what we've got. Fleck will be what he is until he develops as a coach or is fired. And if he gets fired prepare for the doldrums again, because Minnesota is not a destination program for anyone and PJ Fleck is the best thing this program could ever hope for to bring consistent success without the constant threat of leaving for greener pastures. Fantasize all day about your dream coaches, but they won't come here and anyone worth their salt will spend three years here and either get fired or go to a bigger program. And the odds of their replacement being as good as or better than them in the case we lose that coach to a bigger program is near zero.

You know, maybe Coyle should just fire Fleck to make all of you miserable sacks happier and get us over this sudden complex we've developed where we can't fathom losing games against opponents who we beat on paper and gnash our teeth screaming for blood when it happens. Let's go back to the days of dancing in the streets because we have 5 wins but there are 50 bowls and our APR is high enough that we can still qualify for the postseason and end up going 5-8. It's been too long since we've had a good program crippling off the field issue, let's get back to that too. PJ has been too much of a barrier to that, we should absolutely get rid of him. I bet you'd love for him to say "It's on me" in that case.

First Gopherhole’s own Tony Liebert and now SI.

Stealing my takes left and right.

Re: PJ being PJ. I would like PJ to start having those difficult conversations that he claims he eats for breakfast. Specifically with his special teams coach and offensive coordinator.

Not a whole lot of difficult conversations being eaten for breakfast it appears.

Re: PJ being PJ. I would like PJ to start having those difficult conversations that he claims he eats for breakfast. Specifically with his special teams coach and offensive coordinator.

Not a whole lot of difficult conversations being eaten for breakfast it appears.
Amen to having those difficult conversations.

Imagine how upset we'd be if he pulled a Neon Deion and threw his players under the bus.
Actually, FredCox -- I WOULD be upset if he did that. That is a no class operation right there. The truth is somewhere in between. It was a team loss that the players and coaches should own and there is plenty blame to go around all around.

on the "Fleck is going to leave for a better job" scenario:

here is a list of all the Gopher coaches in my lifetime, and their post-Gopher careers:

Murray Warmath - MN was last coaching job
Cal Stoll - after MN, coached an amateur FB team in Italy
Joe Salem - after MN, was QB coach for Augustana, SD
Lou Holtz - after MN, HC at Notre Dame and South Carolina
John Gutekunst - after MN, position coach for multiple schools.
Jim Wacker - after MN, was AD at SW Texas State
Glen Mason -MN was last coaching job
Tim Brewster - after MN, was position coach for 7 schools
Jeff Horton - after MN, position coach/assistant at San Diego State
Jerry Kill - after MN, position coach/ass't/AD until became HC at New Mexico State
Tracy Claeys -- after MN, DC at Washington State, LB coach at Virginia Tech
PJ Fleck - still at MN

Holtz and Kill are the only two former Gopher coaches to get another HC job in college FB. Holtz is the only coach who left MN for a "better" job.

on the "Fleck is going to leave for a better job" scenario:

here is a list of all the Gopher coaches in my lifetime, and their post-Gopher careers:

Murray Warmath - MN was last coaching job
Cal Stoll - after MN, coached an amateur FB team in Italy
Joe Salem - after MN, was QB coach for Augustana, SD
Lou Holtz - after MN, HC at Notre Dame and South Carolina
John Gutekunst - after MN, position coach for multiple schools.
Jim Wacker - after MN, was AD at SW Texas State
Glen Mason -MN was last coaching job
Tim Brewster - after MN, was position coach for 7 schools
Jeff Horton - after MN, position coach/assistant at San Diego State
Jerry Kill - after MN, position coach/ass't/AD until became HC at New Mexico State
Tracy Claeys -- after MN, DC at Washington State, LB coach at Virginia Tech
PJ Fleck - still at MN

Holtz and Kill are the only two former Gopher coaches to get another HC job in college FB. Holtz is the only coach who left MN for a "better" job.
Sobering.

The bolded is not garbage. I can nitpick the shit out of every little thing just like you did, but at the end of the day none of it matters, we lost. The players had a chance to clinch it, they didn't, life goes on, get over it. You talk as if we've been this superpower for the last 20 years instead of a basement dwelling, Oliver Twist "Please sir, more porridge" type of a football program for the better part of 40+ years before Fleck got here and you're just flabbergasted that we're losing games we should've won when there's literally a sentiment along the lines of "Typical Minnesota" uttered by each and every person when things start to go upside down.

Enjoy what we've got. Fleck will be what he is until he develops as a coach or is fired. And if he gets fired prepare for the doldrums again, because Minnesota is not a destination program for anyone and PJ Fleck is the best thing this program could ever hope for to bring consistent success without the constant threat of leaving for greener pastures. Fantasize all day about your dream coaches, but they won't come here and anyone worth their salt will spend three years here and either get fired or go to a bigger program. And the odds of their replacement being as good as or better than them in the case we lose that coach to a bigger program is near zero.

You know, maybe Coyle should just fire Fleck to make all of you miserable sacks happier and get us over this sudden complex we've developed where we can't fathom losing games against opponents who we beat on paper and gnash our teeth screaming for blood when it happens. Let's go back to the days of dancing in the streets because we have 5 wins but there are 50 bowls and our APR is high enough that we can still qualify for the postseason and end up going 5-8. It's been too long since we've had a good program crippling off the field issue, let's get back to that too. PJ has been too much of a barrier to that, we should absolutely get rid of him. I bet you'd love for him to say "It's on me" in that case.
Dumb.

He also said it was on him and then lists the plays that changed the game. If he believed it was on him, list the things you did (or didn't do, not what the players did, as yes, we have eyes and we saw that, we don't have insight into your decisions) and talk about how you can change those in the future.

I thought he liked to learn from failure, here was a prime situation to show his words actually have meaning.

Last edited:

Top Bottom