SI Sources: Bob Knight Will Be In Assembly Hall Saturday vs. Purdue

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

Multiple sources have confirmed to me that former Indiana basketball coach Bob Knight will indeed return to Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall on Saturday when Indiana takes on Purdue.

The former Indiana coach, who was fired in 2000 after 29 years and three national championships, has not stepped foot in the building where he became a coaching legend in those two decades since.

Knight moved back to Bloomington last year, and he has been seen around town many times since then. But despite much conjecture on several occasions, he has never returned for a game at Assembly Hall.

Former Boilermakers coach Gene Keady will be at the game against the Hoosiers as well. The 1980 Indiana team that won the Big Ten championship with Mike Woodson and Isiah Thomas and was coached by Knight is being honored at halftime, and several players from other great Knight teams are in town for the event.

Indiana fans have been waiting for Knight to return to Assembly Hall all of this time, but his frosty relationship with the school after his firing has been too much to overcome. At long last, that frostiness is finally starting to thaw.

Go Gophers!!

Bobby is a god in Bloomington! When I went to the game when we beat indiana by 40, I went with 3 hoosier fans. On the way home they were trying to tell me what a genius bobby was for sitting this guy and sitting that guy while they were getting rolled in the barn. Still a god with most Hoosier fans!

The game has certainly evolved away from Coach Knight. His offenses didnt allow on the ball screens, now on the ball screens are prevalent.

The game has certainly evolved away from Coach Knight. His offenses didnt allow on the ball screens, now on the ball screens are prevalent.

Good Lord. C'mon man.

Incredible coach. His teaching clinics were top shelf. He spawned 2 generations of great coaches. What he did for the Indiana public library and ex-players is legendary.

Good Lord. C'mon man.

You disagree? Knight hated on ball screens. Screens were always away from the ball. Not being critical, I actually enjoyed watching all the movement off ball.

Last edited:

The Good Old Boys Club love them some Bob Knight! 70 year old plus Caucasian’s love them some BK.

It's one thing to respect his coaching, but for the love of god he was an ass.
He totally was that. However, forgiveness is a really cool thing and I am glad to see that he finally let the grudge go and was able to go back home. He doesn't look well so my guess is that he is in his final few years.

Bobby is looking like a wino with that red nose. Not looking too healthy. Glad he, his players and the crowd were able to have closure. Bobby looks like he's in tough shape, however.

He totally was that. However, forgiveness is a really cool thing and I am glad to see that he finally let the grudge go and was able to go back home. He doesn't look well so my guess is that he is in his final few years.
I'm all for the IU fans being able to "honor" him. Obviously it seems like most of his players really love him...except the one he choked (I'm sure there were more, but the one caught on video).

What I found to be the most touching is when he was asked what was his favorite part of his career, he replied, "The winning." Heartwarming.

Top Bottom