SI: Q&A With Boye Mafe: Minnesota Career, Strong Showing At Senior Bowl, Why His Best Football Is Still Ahead

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

The Spun: You had a tremendous showing at the Senior Bowl. What was that experience like?

Boye Mafe: It was a great experience. I wanted to show my talents as a pass rusher and football player. My main objective was to show that I can play football at the next level. I also did something new – playing with my hand in the dirt. That was something I had to adjust to, but it was still a good experience.

The Spun: Like you just said, you were asked to play with your hand on the ground in Mobile. That was something you didn’t really do at Minnesota. How was that adjustment?

BM: It was interesting. It was my first time doing something like that. My whole career I was a stand-up pass rusher. Playing in that three-point stance was a little bit interesting, but I learned it. Coaches said they wanted to see that from me. At the end of the day, it was my job to go out and do that. And I feel like I did a good job with it.

The Spun: What’s your favorite memory from your time at Minnesota?

BM: I can’t say there’s just one memory. Beating Penn State in 2019, beating Wisconsin in 2021. It’s hard to sit here and say there’s one moment that was the pinnacle of it all because it would be a disservice to my whole time there. I felt as if my time there was great, and I definitely appreciate it. The whole time spent there I was able to learn about myself as a player and human.

The Spun: What is an NFL team getting in Boye Mafe?

BM: You’re getting a great person. And at the same time, I feel like my best football is in front of me. I don’t think I’ve played my best football yet. That’ll definitely show up in the future when I’m in the NFL. My career at Minnesota was good, but I feel like my best football is in front of me.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom