SI: Jerry Kill's retirement takes away a reminder of college sports' goodness

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

It’s the saddest type of coaching change. One not brought about by losses or age or the offer of a better job, but by health reasons. Jerry Kill’s health has constantly surrounded his coaching career. On Wednesday, it halted it.

Kill retired, effective immediately, as head coach of the Golden Gophers due to health reasons, the school announced. Associate head coach and defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys will serve as interim head coach.

It is easy to become cynical about college sports, but Kill is a reminder of what they can and should be. He is a man who loves football and has a passion for leaving his players and programs better than he found them. It makes his unexpected retirement all the more tragic, even if it's unquestionably the correct decision.

That care that Kill showed for others throughout his career made him widely respected. So even as he makes the tough decision he clearly had to make, to watch him give up his passion is undoubtedly somber.

“I hate losing,” Kill said Wednesday. “I feel like I’m losing.”

When a man like him is forced to step away from the game, we all lose.

http://www.si.com/college-football/...tire-minnesota-golden-gophers-health-seizures

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom