SI: Hot Seat Odds: Who will be the First Coach Fired in Each Conference? (Big Ten: 1. Lovie Smith 2/1; 10. Fleck 25/1)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Walsh:

Big Ten
Lovie Smith 2/1
Scott Frost 9/4
Jim Harbaugh 5/1
Pat Fitzgerald 5/1
Tom Allen 8/1
Jeff Brohm 9/1
Kirk Ferentz 12/1
Mike Locksley 14/1
Paul Chryst 20/1
PJ Fleck 25/1
Mel Tucker 33/1
Greg Schiano 50/1
James Franklin 50/1
Ryan Day 100/1

Go Gophers!!

Being 2020 I think maybe the likelihood across the board is way lower than indicated by those odds.

I don't know who is going to want to pickup the expense of firing a coach, let alone do it in a weird year like 2020.

Tom Allen seems to have IU headed in the right direction, so don't see him getting fired anytime soon. They're more likely to usurp Purdue as the second best team in Indiana.

per Walsh:

Big Ten
Lovie Smith 2/1
Scott Frost 9/4
Jim Harbaugh 5/1
Pat Fitzgerald 5/1
Tom Allen 8/1
Jeff Brohm 9/1
Kirk Ferentz 12/1
Mike Locksley 14/1
Paul Chryst 20/1
PJ Fleck 25/1
Mel Tucker 33/1
Greg Schiano 50/1
James Franklin 50/1
Ryan Day 100/1

Go Gophers!!
No way Pat Fitzgerald gets fired this year

1. I'm surprised Fitzgerald is 5/1. He should be as close to having a lifetime deal as almost anyone in the country.
2. Only coaches I could see getting fired in the near future are Lovie and Locksley - I'm surprised Locksley isn't higher. Maybe Ferentz if the racial stuff blows up again, but I doubt it. Overall I think most B10 coaches are pretty safe for the next few years at leas.

It’s not really an order of when they will get fired. It’s an order of who is likely to get fired first.

being second on the list doesn’t mean you’re likely to get fired second. It means you’re second most likely to get fired first.

So who would get fired with a disaster campaign?

locksley
Smith
Harbaugh

Those are the only 3 who even have a chance of getting fired this year IMO

Any other coach could probably survive even 0-9

It’s not really an order of when they will get fired. It’s an order of who is likely to get fired first.

being second on the list doesn’t mean you’re likely to get fired second. It means you’re second most likely to get fired first.

So who would get fired with a disaster campaign?

locksley
Smith
Harbaugh

Those are the only 3 who even have a chance of getting fired this year IMO

Any other coach could probably survive even 0-9
I think your right that those 3 couldn't survive an 0-9 campaign, but I would add Ryan Day to the list as well. I think there is a way he is canned if he squandered the talent at his disposal.

per Walsh:

Big Ten
Lovie Smith 2/1
Scott Frost 9/4
Jim Harbaugh 5/1
Pat Fitzgerald 5/1
Tom Allen 8/1
Jeff Brohm 9/1
Kirk Ferentz 12/1
Mike Locksley 14/1
Paul Chryst 20/1
PJ Fleck 250,000/1
Mel Tucker 33/1
Greg Schiano 50/1
James Franklin 50/1
Ryan Day 100/1

Go Gophers!!

The forgot a couple of zeros on Fleck's odds - fixed above:cool:

I surprised James Franklin is not a 100/1.

PJ Fleck would have to be in jail to get fired in 2020, and even then we might let him Zoom in to the games.

Ryan Day is more likely than a lot of the guys above him. If OSU were to somehow tank (even something like 5-3) the narrative that he's only good because he inherited a monster would start fast.

How is Pat Fitzgerald that high? He's basically coach for life at this point.

How is Pat Fitzgerald that high? He's basically coach for life at this point.

click bait or an uniformed writer?

I love Fitzy - second fav coach behind PJ.

What he has accomplished there is amazing and IIRC, he could have left for greener pastures many times.

He should be there for as long as he wants - I thinks that type of continuity is good for the conference as a whole.

click bait or an uniformed writer?

I love Fitzy - second fav coach behind PJ.

What he has accomplished there is amazing and IIRC, he could have left for greener pastures many times.

He should be there for as long as he wants - I thinks that type of continuity is good for the conference as a whole.
He is a good coach, but in my opinion he is the most overrated coach in the conference.

he didn’t take over the 1990 northwestern program.

his results are good but if they went without bowls another 2-3 seasons in a row he could and should be on the hot seat.

I take this to mean there is estimated to be a 1/25 chance that Nick Saban makes the move to Minnesota next year.

Unless Fleck is running a pedophile ring (has Q-Anon gotten on that story?) there is zero chance he would be fired from Minnesota.

Top Bottom