SI: Gophers can save the nation from Iowa being in College Football Playoff

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Joe:

The Minnesota Gophers have been tasked with saving the nation from the possibility of the Iowa Hawkeyes reaching the College Football Playoffs. It's true. The Hawkeyes, despite the worst offense in the land, are 6-1 and sitting rather pretty.

"There is something happening right now that no one wants. No one wants it, but it's happening," said Lucy Rohden on Tuesday's episode of the Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz. "It's time that you sit down and you talk to the people closest to you about the fact that Iowa will most likely finish this season 11-1. They have a shot at making the playoff."

Iowa hosts Minnesota on Saturday and for the Gophers to break Iowa hearts they'll have to win at Kinnick Stadium for the first time in 24 years. The Gophers have lost 10 straight in Iowa City, with their last road win over the Hawkeyes coming Nov. 20, 1999.

"Iowa is 6-1 right now and they are favored to win every remaining game on their schedule," Rohden continued. "And they have they 133rd ranked offense out of 133 teams and they have a shot at making the playoff."

Go Gophers!!

I’d love to know what kind of deal Iowa made with the devil because they probably will finish 11-1 or 10-2 with a truly godawful offense. It’s horrifying and fascinating, and a real indictment on the B1G West.

But yeah, they aren’t making the playoffs. Michigan/Ohio State/Penn State will make sure of that.

Agree that if they get to the Championship game at 11-1 they will get destroyed and kept out of the playoff however they would almost certainly make a new years 6 game against another top team and get demolished in that game as well.

I mean on one level the thought of Iowa getting obliterated in their final two games is kind of appealing. But would still prefer to see us knock them off this weekend and end the foolishness that would have one of the worst offenses in the history of football in the mix for the CFP.

Even Iowa fans don't believe they're going to the CFP, right?

if iowa loses the big ten title game they aren't going to the playoff. if they win it, even with their putrid offense, after going 11-1 to get there, they deserve the playoff even if it's horrendous to watch.

Agree that if they get to the Championship game at 11-1 they will get destroyed and kept out of the playoff however they would almost certainly make a new years 6 game against another top team and get demolished in that game as well.

I mean on one level the thought of Iowa getting obliterated in their final two games is kind of appealing. But would still prefer to see us knock them off this weekend and end the foolishness that would have one of the worst offenses in the history of football in the mix for the CFP.
I want the obliteration to start this week.

Some are worried because they're favored in their remaining games? Wasn't UNW favored a couple of weeks ago? There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. By the way, I'd be happy to be 6-1 with a lousy offense.

They could easily lose their next 5 games in a row. Their offense is that bad. Defense and special teams basically can't make any mistakes. Against Minnesota they will likely have to create scoring opportunities in order to win.

This is not a Sports Illustrated article. This is a Bring Me The News article, that gets a SI "FanNation" label slapped on it.

They could easily lose their next 5 games in a row. Their offense is that bad. Defense and special teams basically can't make any mistakes. Against Minnesota they will likely have to create scoring opportunities in order to win.
In our last game, we gave up two pick sixes to a defense that has nobody as good as Iowa's Cooper DeJean. There are ways to score outside of the offense.

Punting is winning! Also putrid and akin to observing a hummingbird caught in a spiders nest being murdered by a garden spider.

The 2011 Broncos made it to the playoffs with a QB completing 46.5% of his passes (and the ugliest delivery you’ll ever see), the 24th ranked scoring defense, and the grace of the Almighty, scraping out ugly win after ugly win. There is a place for ugly in the postseason. As a football fan I’d laugh, but there is precedent.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

The Gophers probably saved a NY6 bowl from being subjected to Deacon Hill and the Hawkeyes. You're welcome....college football nation!

Big Ten already getting the three elite East teams into the NY6 means the West winner would not get a fourth spot.

Not to mention 0-31 loss to Penn State

Top Bottom