SI: Ben Johnson looks to the past to build a future with the Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chris:

In the late 1990s, Ben Johnson was a standout player at DeLaSalle. A 1998 Mr. Basketball finalist, Johnson starred under Dave Thorson as the Crusaders captured two state titles.

Fast forward 23 years and Thorson and Johnson are entering their second year at the University of Minnesota. Thorson was one of the first hires when Johnson took over the program last season and as he prepares for a new year, the goal to bring the Gophers back to prominence has Johnson looking in the past to build a better future.

"If you would have told me even 10 years ago I was going to be the head coach [at Minnesota] and he was going to be the assistant, I would have probably said you're crazy," Johnson said on The Bare's Den podcast with Matt Bare this week. "It's just kind of unique and funny how the world works."

As much as Johnson knows about the coaching world, he also has a wealth of knowledge about amateur basketball in Minnesota. After Johnson's standout high school career, he played two seasons for Northwestern before transferring to the Gophers prior to the 2002-03 season.

Go Gophers!!

Per Chris:

In the late 1990s, Ben Johnson was a standout player at DeLaSalle. A 1998 Mr. Basketball finalist, Johnson starred under Dave Thorson as the Crusaders captured two state titles.

Fast forward 23 years and Thorson and Johnson are entering their second year at the University of Minnesota. Thorson was one of the first hires when Johnson took over the program last season and as he prepares for a new year, the goal to bring the Gophers back to prominence has Johnson looking in the past to build a better future.

"If you would have told me even 10 years ago I was going to be the head coach [at Minnesota] and he was going to be the assistant, I would have probably said you're crazy," Johnson said on The Bare's Den podcast with Matt Bare this week. "It's just kind of unique and funny how the world works."

As much as Johnson knows about the coaching world, he also has a wealth of knowledge about amateur basketball in Minnesota. After Johnson's standout high school career, he played two seasons for Northwestern before transferring to the Gophers prior to the 2002-03 season.

Go Gophers!!
The Crusaders? The De La Salle Islanders!

Top Bottom