SI Article on Findlay Prep

I just got my SI today too, and that was the first article I read. I, in all honesty, do not know what to think of this situation. First thoughts I had was simply a legal way for colleges to recruit in a questionable manner, yet when I read that the players are all academically proficient and eligible for entrance to college, I had mixed feelings. In addition, Henderson NV is adjacent to Las Vegas, and UNLV, more questions come up. I don't know either way.

the exact quote was -

"We think the exposure will be good for us and good for the sport." - James Brown, senior vice president of ESPN RISE

And that's how ESPN views everything. First, what is good for them. When I was younger, I thought ESPN was the greatest thing to happen to sports. Now, it's obvious that they are the devil.

how does this situation not violate any NCAA rules? The guys attending this "prep school" are borderling professional.

Does anyone know who the likes of Oak Hill, St. Patrick, and Findlay Prep play in conference? Do other schools and coaches really allow their teams to partake in playing against these cheaters? I think prep school could be good for some kids but overall it is just a scam, IMO.

Does anyone know who the likes of Oak Hill, St. Patrick, and Findlay Prep play in conference? Do other schools and coaches really allow their teams to partake in playing against these cheaters? I think prep school could be good for some kids but overall it is just a scam, IMO.

Oak Hill actually has two teams Red and Gold. The Red team plays other private Christian schools in and around Virginia (not sure of the specifics of their state sanction though.). The other team, the Gold Team, is the more high profile one that attracts the top level talent from around the country and is basically an AAU travel team within a school setting.

Steve Smith is one of the good guys in the game. He's helped a lot of kids use basketball to get an education and is a man of tremendous faith and character. If his situation wasn't so perfect he'd probably be a college coach (and a dang good one. He's had a lot of offers for assistant positions at big time programs and head jobs at smaller ones but turned them down) right now but does more good where he's at helping kids.

Oak Hill actually has two teams Red and Gold. The Red team plays other private Christian schools in and around Virginia (not sure of the specifics of their state sanction though.). The other team, the Gold Team, is the more high profile one that attracts the top level talent from around the country and is basically an AAU travel team within a school setting.

Steve Smith is one of the good guys in the game. He's helped a lot of kids use basketball to get an education and is a man of tremendous faith and character. If his situation wasn't so perfect he'd probably be a college coach (and a dang good one. He's had a lot of offers for assistant positions at big time programs and head jobs at smaller ones but turned them down) right now but does more good where he's at helping kids.

Closest he came (to being college assistant) was at UK in 2002. He nearly joined Tubby's staff then. He has a high degree of respect for Tubby Smith - several of his Oak Hill players were Cats under Tubby.

Only one of whom was more than a role player. Wish Steve had sent the Ty Lawson's and Carmello's Tubby's way. He'd probably have a second title on the mantle.

Huh?

In addition, Henderson NV is adjacent to Las Vegas, and UNLV, more questions come up. I don't know either way.

Hey now, why do you have to go baggin' on Henderson and LV? I live in Henderson and it's not like the last step before going to hell or anything. Lon Kruger's running the show at UNLV, as clean as a whistle, I'm guessing. Lon's a good guy, building a halfway decent program at the Thomas & Mack.

Heard an interview with the Findlay prep coach on the local radio yesterday and he said they just got a "commitment" from their youngest player ever, a 6'-1 guard from Oregon who he says looks a lot like Cory Joseph.

Not sure how much I like our chances for the young Joseph. His recruitment will heat up more and more by next season. It'll be a tough catch, but a good one...

Only one of whom was more than a role player. Wish Steve had sent the Ty Lawson's and Carmello's Tubby's way. He'd probably have a second title on the mantle.

Rajon Rondo, star in NBA. Cliff Hawkins, multi-year starter and high on career Assists and Steals lists. Neither was a role player.

Jules Camara was a F/C subsitute who scored over 800 career points.

All 3 ranked in Top 25-30 nationally their senior HS years at Oak Hill.

I'm glad as hell Tubby didn't get those types of players, (Melo and Lawson) and I'm glad he didn't win another NC because than he sure of hell wouldn't be here.

Fascinating story. Sort of like the Shattuck (Faribault) Hockey program that operates way beyond any HS rules. But at least Shattuck is an actual school - a good one at that.

Buy a house, recruit some players, pay some tuition, become a national "prep school" powerhouse.

I don't have anything against prep schools. They provide a useful service and each should be judged on its own merit. Nevertheless, if they have players that have already completed high school or are older than 19 when the season starts, they shouldn't be competing with high school teams or competing in tournaments that are billed as high school tournaments. As far as I know, most prep schools aren't high schools. They are more like the USHL when it comes to basketball.

http://www.sfstampede.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=147

(Quote): Because the USHL gears itself toward putting players in college and helping them earn scholarships, the emphasis on education is foremost for all teams. Individual teams' academic coordinators work to make sure players have the academic capability to succeed in the classroom as well as on the ice. For players who are still in high school, teams work closely with local school officials to develop class schedules that keep players on pace for graduation and college entrance requirements.

USHL games are regularly scouted by NHL teams, NHL Central Scouting, and Division I-III universities. Because playing junior hockey often requires a player to move to the team's city, the teams help arrange housing and part-time jobs. Community involvement by the players is also encouraged by each team. (end quote)

Rajon Rondo, star in NBA. Cliff Hawkins, multi-year starter and high on career Assists and Steals lists. Neither was a role player.

Jules Camara was a F/C subsitute who scored over 800 career points.

All 3 ranked in Top 25-30 nationally their senior HS years at Oak Hill.

:clap: Shocking it took you this long.

StatBoy ladies and gentleman.

I sweep up your bullshit. Just like this time.

Only you would think Cliff Hawkins exists on the same plateau as a player with Ty Lawson or Rajon Rondo. Hawkins and Jules were role players and complimentary pieces at best. The day you admit to recruiting struggles at UK (which are well documented by EVERY known source on the planet not named Bob Gibbons) under Coach Smith will be a happy day.

Only you would think Cliff Hawkins exists on the same plateau as a player with Ty Lawson or Rajon Rondo. Hawkins and Jules were role players and complimentary pieces at best. The day you admit to recruiting struggles at UK (which are well documented by EVERY known source on the planet not named Bob Gibbons) under Coach Smith will be a happy day.

Hawkins 3rd all-time (Steals) and 7th all-time (Assists) at UK. His UK teams were 105-29. Some role player.

Camara scored 809 career points as reserve F. Not bad for a back-up 4/5 player.

UK recruited struggled in 2003 and 2005 but was solid every other Tubby year, including 2007 (Patterson and Lucas were coming).

Tubby is black. THAT'S why you and your ilk don't like him. Admit that, Bubba.

I don't know if I can speak for all of Gopher Hole, but I imagine I can for a large majority. . .

The Truth and FOT, you both bring interesting information and perspectives to our board. I have enjoyed reading posts from both of you, at various times. However, the Gopher Hole community is not interested in a pissing match between the two of you in regards to Tubby Smith. We're happy he's our coach and recognize he wouldn't be our coach if expectations (even unreasonable ones) had been met at Kentucky. We also find this all to be terribly dated, as Kentucky has now moved onto a new coach who has their fanbase energized and speaking of a return to glory. Gopher fans were never that interested in what transpired down in Kentucky and now that we're moving towards season 3 with Tubby as our coach, we're even less interested.

If you insist on turning threads into a match between who's right in an argument that the other side will never accede to, why don't you just head over to the test board where you can have the whole forum to yourself and you can argue infinitum.

Tubby is black. THAT'S why you and your ilk don't like him. Admit that, Bubba.

I'm married to an African-American woman Bubba and my children are biracial Bubba. So frankly (and If I'm banned for this I understand and have no ill will towards anyone) you can kiss my ass.

Hey now, why do you have to go baggin' on Henderson and LV? I live in Henderson and it's not like the last step before going to hell or anything. Lon Kruger's running the show at UNLV, as clean as a whistle, I'm guessing. Lon's a good guy, building a halfway decent program at the Thomas & Mack.

Heard an interview with the Findlay prep coach on the local radio yesterday and he said they just got a "commitment" from their youngest player ever, a 6'-1 guard from Oregon who he says looks a lot like Cory Joseph.

Not sure how much I like our chances for the young Joseph. His recruitment will heat up more and more by next season. It'll be a tough catch, but a good one...

Ogee, I did not mean to bag on anyone, all I said was it raises some possible questions, and I felt I had some questions about it all, and I did not deserve to be accused of bagging.

Thank you for your reply, albeit a bit challenging to me. Sorry if you feel that I offended you.

I appreciate the stats/information FOT gives. I can't remember specifically TruthTeller's M.O, but I know he's not a poster I've ever taken issue with. However, bickering accomplishes nothing (on this topic). And FOT seems to consistently throw out the racist card if the other person doesn't agree with him. A person is entitled to their opinion regarding Tubby and his successes/failures without automatically being a racist. That being said, Go Tubby, Go Gophers!

Top Bottom