SI: 5 things we learned in the Gophers loss vs. Wisconsin (3. P.J. Fleck still won't go for it on fourth down)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chris:

3. P.J. Fleck still won't go for it on fourth down​

The Gophers entered Saturday's game as the most successful team in the country on fourth down attempts, but P.J. Fleck once again showed his reluctance to be aggressive in fear of making a mistake.

Minnesota had a 7-0 lead and was driving into Wisconsin territory early in the game but decided to punt on a 4th-and-3 from the Badgers' 43-yard line. Wisconsin took advantage by driving 86 yards to tie the game with Braelon Allen's first touchdown run of the game.

The Gophers faced a similar situation in their own territory down 21-14 in the third quarter and converted a 4th-and-3 on a 17-yard run by Jordan Nubin. But Fleck's conservative approach showed up later on the drive, punting on a 4th-and-7 from the Wisconsin 42, culminating in a Mordecai pass to Riley Nowakowski to put the Badgers ahead 28-14.

5. The Gophers must adapt next season​

The Gopher football program needs an overhaul, but firing Fleck, who has produced one of the most successful runs in nearly a century, isn't the answer.

Instead, the entire program needs to take a look at itself and determine what went wrong. Injuries played a role but so was a lack of NIL money that prevented the Gophers from attracting and keeping top-tier talent.

An outdated approach on both sides of the ball played a role as the Gophers relied too much on the run, couldn't help Athan Kaliakmanis take the next step, and gave up big plays consistently on defense.

Go Gophers!!

Which is funny because he has no problem going for it 4th and 1 on his own 30, but gets do defensive when hes winning.

what we learned - Fleck is a stubborn SOB.

what we still don't know - is Fleck so stubborn that he refuses to change - even if it costs him his job?

look - I just don't think that Fleck is willing to change. and I think that it will cost him his job - maybe not next season, but quite possibly by the end of the '25 season.

what we learned - Fleck is a stubborn SOB.

what we still don't know - is Fleck so stubborn that he refuses to change - even if it costs him his job?

look - I just don't think that Fleck is willing to change. and I think that it will cost him his job - maybe not next season, but quite possibly by the end of the '25 season.
+o4

I agreed with the 4th and 3rd punt in the first quarter.

Looks worse in hindsight.

Top Bottom