Should Tubby start playing EE?

@FTB & @Section201 - thanks for helping me out -- I was tied up with other things today and unable to respond quickly...

...although I must admit there was something else that irked me more about the post than the medical redshirt question:

dingo said:
What are the odds of Mo getting a medical redshirt? I think that ways into the decision...

At any rate, with respect to EE.. I've seen likely redshirts 'pulled' much later in the season than we currently are. If we're confident Eliason can help us this season, then play him. However, I do think you're not going to be able to put out more than two at a time between Ralph, Trevor, Colton and Eliason... and, barring foul issues, I'm fine with having the three juniors sharing 80 minutes a game.

Unless someone else goes down no way do we toss his redshirt. We ANNIHILATED Wisky on the boards. we have an absolutely beasting group there. we dont need another big. we need better guard play.

Even without walker, we are fine in the middle. I wouldnt mind seeing Trevor at the 5 if we were to press and trap against certain teams.

Absolutely asinine topic. No way they would waste a year of eligibility on a kid who MIGHT play 5 minutes a game (if that) especially when the season is almost half over. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Well, that's a jerk way to answer a perfectly good discussion topic. I agree with you that he should not redshirt, however I do think it is not an "asinine topic".

At any rate, with respect to EE.. I've seen likely redshirts 'pulled' much later in the season than we currently are. If we're confident Eliason can help us this season, then play him. However, I do think you're not going to be able to put out more than two at a time between Ralph, Trevor, Colton and Eliason... and, barring foul issues, I'm fine with having the three juniors sharing 80 minutes a game.

Clem pulled John Thomas's planned redshirt his freshman season due to a wrist injury to Trevor Winter late in the non-conference schedule. JT didn't contribute that much as 3rd string center as a true freshman so the redshirt was wasted - IIRC Trevor even returned to the team in the last half of the Big 10 schedule. Following the 1997 Gophers run to the final four, the next season's team returned enough talent (Sam, Q, etc) to compete for another title, except, instead of having 5th year senior John Thomas anchoring the middle (had he been redshirted), we had Kyle Sanden!! D'ya think Clem regretted his redshirt decision? Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but Clem's redshirt decision was a disaster a few years down the road.

I kinda agree that if Tubby feels the need to play EE this year, EE could redshirt the following year. How much playing time would EE get next year anyway with 3 senior bigs plus Mo?

I'm not sure if I want Tubby to drop his red shirt. What do you guys think?

From what I gather he is holding his own in practice against the other bigs. I might have missed something but for Tubby to bring it up the way he did; I think it is a done deal.

Why do people get so bent out of shape when someone uses the term "medical redshirt?" We all know what they mean. Or do we? Whatever it is, Orseske and Rallis benefitted from it in football without losing almost two seasons OR applying their senior year. They won't get a sixth year, but they were granted redshirts after being injured early enough in the season.

+++++++:)

Top Bottom