should there have been more than 4.2 secs left? iverson: learn how to make a gimme

Reaction score
seemed like there was a question of how much time should have still been on the clock when they called the timeout. did the refs double check or not?

iverson......my god.......quit being such a spaz around the offensive hoop and learn how to make a frickin' gimme layup. your ineptitude there cost us a 3-pt play at the other end at the most critical time of the game. you often look worse when you have a wide-open shot than you do when someone is guarding you. how is that even possible?? :mad:

It looked right to me. Tubby called it at about 4.5, but the clock stops when the ref GIVES the timeout.

Ghost, on the clock issue

seemed like there was a question of how much time should have still been on the clock when they called the timeout. did the refs double check or not?

I was at the game and, yes, they did review the clock during the timeout and decided to leave it as it was.

unfortunate. looks like those .3 seconds cost us the win.

No, Damian's putback was about 1 second too late.

I have a real problem with calling timeout there in the first place. Tubby always does it, and it usually doesn't work. Better for the offense to have some end-of-game chaos, when someone might be left open. Instead, you let the defense set up. Did we really need a timeout to then allow Joseph to dribble around some more before taking the final shot (which, due to the timeout, came too late)?

Wandering

No, Damian's putback was about 1 second too late.

I have a real problem with calling timeout there in the first place. Tubby always does it, and it usually doesn't work. Better for the offense to have some end-of-game chaos, when someone might be left open. Instead, you let the defense set up. Did we really need a timeout to then allow Joseph to dribble around some more before taking the final shot (which, due to the timeout, came too late)?

All 5 Purdue players got back on defense. I understand your reasoning, and I tend to agree, but in this situation, you cannot fault Tubby for taking a TO.
Besides, Tubby would have been blasted on this board if they came down, he didn't call a timeout, and they took a garbage shot. Hindsight.

It looked right to me. Tubby called it at about 4.5, but the clock stops when the ref GIVES the timeout.

I just super-slowed my DVR. Tubby begins calling the timeout at 5.2 seconds. But, as you say, they don't stop the clock until it is awarded, which was one full second later.

It seems pointless to me to argue about whether calling a time out with ~five seconds left was a mistake. You can't make the case based on the fact that Joseph's first shot went in, because I'm not sure whether the Purdue defenders relaxed when the time out was called. I would have preferred to have let the Gophers play on because Joseph was coming downcourt in full control and had his defender backpedaling desperately. On the other hand, give him credit for making a nice play after the timeout. He got himself into great position with the ball fake, again with no panic, for an open look on a squared up jumper. I don't think any Purdue fans felt good at all when he let the shot go. In that sense, the timeout "worked" to the extent that it led to a good shot, but unfortunately it didn't go in. It was a painful reminder of a couple at-the-buzzer three-point attempts by Kevin Lynch (against Georgia Tech in 1990 and against the Spartans in 1991) that didn't go in either.

It's tough to say whether calling a timeout was a good or bad idea but I think it's better to let the players play so the defense isn't set. It's easier to score in transition then through a set play I've always thought. Just so far from what I've seen this year against Michigan State, Indiana and now Purdue Tubby has called timeouts and both times we didn't convert and lost the game. Against Penn State he let the players play and Westbrook hit a jumper to win by 2.

So basically the 3 times he called a timeout we're 0-3 and the one time he didn't we're 1-0. So it could be a coincidence but statistically speaking the timeouts aren't working. I know we lost against Texas A&M but I remember we were making a huge comeback but I don't think he called a timeout at the end of that one. so I guess we're 1-1 when not calling a timeout.

please let me know how many other coaches in the country wouldn't have called a timeout in this situation when they had one to burn. I doubt you will find many.

A missed wide open 10-12 footer probably had more to do with the loss.

+1

Iverson has been better much around the hoop recently, he's lost his board hands & has been making some decent passes.

Top Bottom