Shooter: Trevor Mbakwe has opted for an assistant athletics director job at Irondale.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Trevor Mbakwe, the former Gophers Big Ten rebounding champion, instead of taking an assistant boys basketball coaching job at Benilde-St. Margaret’s has opted for an assistant athletics director job at Irondale.

“This option was hard to pass up _ I’m excited to be at Irondale,” Mbakwe said last week.

Mbakwe, 31, who played seven seasons of professional basketball all across the world, said he hopes to become a high school AD in the Twin Cities. He’s near completion of a masters degree in sports management.

“It’s time to settle down and prepare for this next chapter of life,” he said.

Go Gophers!!

Had to look that one up.

Public high schools really need to be named for their city/district.

Good luck to him!

Had to look that one up.

Good luck to him!

It is a branding issue for many districts/schools. I've never understood why they were called that over New Brighton. A lot of schools choose intentionally to not be a town name because they wanted to be inclusive to all the communities that send kids to their school. It also can be a branding issue if the town is "negatively viewed" in the world of open enrollment.

Anyways I'll get back to the topic at hand. Happy for Trevor, he can make a positive impact on a lot of students there.

Well that distract also has Mounds View. Which someone told me once was originally named because that area used to be Mounds View township (no idea if that’s true). Irondale makes no sense.

Irondale draws from parts of New Brighton, Arden Hills, Mounds View, and Roseville.

So he passed on an assistant coaching job that pays ~ $4500 for an assistant AD gig which is probably $50,000-$60,000. Hmmmm. Thanks for that update shooter.

It is a branding issue for many districts/schools. I've never understood why they were called that over New Brighton. A lot of schools choose intentionally to not be a town name because they wanted to be inclusive to all the communities that send kids to their school. It also can be a branding issue if the town is "negatively viewed" in the world of open enrollment.

Anyways I'll get back to the topic at hand. Happy for Trevor, he can make a positive impact on a lot of students there.

The only known graduate of New Brighton HS attempted to assassinate the President so Irondale makes more sense.

They should've just followed the example of Champlin Park (Champlin and Brooklyn Park) and been NewHill MoundsVille

Had to look that one up.

Good luck to him!

Pretty common though back in those days, you had Ramsey and Kellog that became Roseville, the only reason you know where Jefferson and Kennedy are is that all students at those schools live in Bloomington, not the case with northern burbs. Blaine is the one that blows me away, a kid that grows up in Blaine is just as likely to go to Centennial or Spring Lake Park as Blaine

I cannot agree more, there should have been a New Brighton HS, and a Shoreview HS. The absurd thing is Roseville is Roseville 'area' HS. There are schools all over the place that go out of the margins of the municipal lines.

Two daughters of my dad's business associate went to Irondale (they lived by Moundsview) a long time ago, and we used to go to New Brighton to visit and stay for the weekend in the "big city".

We had no recollection, 30 years later of where we were and what school they really went to Big mistake!

This would be near Barley John's Brewpub/ Perkins west of I35..... classic Brady Bunch house for sure

Last edited:

I cannot agree more, there should have been a New Brighton HS, and a Shoreview HS. The absurd thing is Roseville is Roseville 'area' HS. There are schools all over the place that go out of the margins of the municipal lines.

Two daughters of my dad's business associate went to Irondale (they lived by Moundsview) a long time ago, and we used to go to New Brighton to visit and stay for the weekend in the "big city".

We had no recollection, 30 years later of where we were and what school they really went to Big mistake!

This would be near Barley John's Brewpub/ Perkins west of I35..... classic Brady Bunch house for sure
Roseville district covers a lot of cities outside just Roseville, such as Little Canada and parts of Shoreview, Vadnais, and maybe even White Bear. I believe that's what it's "area".

There are very few districts outside of Mpls and St Paul that just stay in one suburban city.

I'm sure there is a lot of facinating history about how these distracts came together. I know mergers were involved. Such as the Hopkins district, which merged with the Golden Valley district (hence why GV HS closed and is now where Breck is established).

Roseville district covers a lot of cities outside just Roseville, such as Little Canada and parts of Shoreview, Vadnais, and maybe even White Bear. I believe that's what it's "area".

There are very few districts outside of Mpls and St Paul that just stay in one suburban city.

I'm sure there is a lot of facinating history about how these distracts came together. I know mergers were involved. Such as the Hopkins district, which merged with the Golden Valley district (hence why GV HS closed and is now where Breck is established).

In our area, district lines were decided by farmers whose property crossed borders of districts and what schools they wanted their kids in. With the farms gone, the district lines are the same, creating some odd configurations of kids going to school in a neighboring town rather than their own. In most cases, the school they attend is actually closer than the one (or two) in their town. Creates some odd Bermuda triangle situations, with municipalities and school district lines crossing.

In our area, district lines were decided by farmers whose property crossed borders of districts and what schools they wanted their kids in. With the farms gone, the district lines are the same, creating some odd configurations of kids going to school in a neighboring town rather than their own. In most cases, the school they attend is actually closer than the one (or two) in their town. Creates some odd Bermuda triangle situations, with municipalities and school district lines crossing.
Yup. One of my best friends grew up ona farm which had an address of town A a phone from town B and attended town C school’s.

Well that distract also has Mounds View. Which someone told me once was originally named because that area used to be Mounds View township (no idea if that’s true). Irondale makes no sense.
I believe it is named for a park or road or something near the school

I believe it is named for a park or road or something near the school
Because I'm such a map nerd (I'm sure no one else cares):

There is an Irondale Rd ... but it's in the city of Mounds View, which does not contain MVHS (that's in Arden Hills).

Irondale Rd is on a North-South orientation that runs directly into Irondale HS ... except that once you go south of Cty Rd H, you're in the city of New Brighton and it's called 14th Ave.

I bet you're correct, and there is some history back in the Mounds View township days of Irondale Rd extending further than it does now.

Man though, that has to be the silliest name of any public high school in the cities. They're usually named for the city, or city + cardinal direction, or named after a historical person.

Only exceptions to those off the top of my head are (Apple Valley) Eastview, and (Woodbury) East Ridge, which are still somewhat cardinal direction based. EDIT: one more is Park HS of Cottage Grove. Maybe some history there with St Paul Park?

Because I'm such a map nerd (I'm sure no one else cares):

There is an Irondale Rd ... but it's in the city of Mounds View, which does not contain MVHS (that's in Arden Hills).

Irondale Rd is on a North-South orientation that runs directly into Irondale HS ... except that once you go south of Cty Rd H, you're in the city of New Brighton and it's called 14th Ave.

I bet you're correct, and there is some history back in the Mounds View township days of Irondale Rd extending further than it does now.

Man though, that has to be the silliest name of any public high school in the cities. They're usually named for the city, or city + cardinal direction, or named after a historical person.

Only exceptions to those off the top of my head are (Apple Valley) Eastview, and (Woodbury) East Ridge, which are still somewhat cardinal direction based. EDIT: one more is Park HS of Cottage Grove. Maybe some history there with St Paul Park?
Park cottage grove is named that because it also serves St. Paul park

Eastview is named for it being built next to Eastview park (which has now been renamed due to city politics)

no idea what East ridge is named for.

one dumb high school name is Hopkins...which actually sits in Minnetonka....

Park cottage grove is named that because it also serves St. Paul park

Eastview is named for it being built next to Eastview park (which has now been renamed due to city politics)

no idea what East ridge is named for.

one dumb high school name is Hopkins...which actually sits in Minnetonka....
Hopkins district has covered a good chunk of Minnetonka for a while. That's why so many organizations are Hopkins-Minnetonka. Resulted from the mergers of a lot of smaller districts.

Wayzata district covers a lot of the new growth (outside 494) in Plymouth. The new high school is in Plymouth.

I was an election judge in a precinct that has 3 school districts. The lines are so weird, that it is impossible to put decent precinct lines by school district.

We had 2 different ballots. One with a school board race, and one without.

Sometimes, because of referenda, we have had 3 ballots in the precinct.

There's so many of these. I played park high school in high school and had no idea it was in cottage grove. Rockford high school is actually in greenfield.

Top Bottom