Shooter: Trestman will get mentioned for U job, but little doubt that Claeys gets job

Got to keep that continuity of a team that is now 1-6 in its last 7 games against power 5 schools.

Got to keep that continuity of a team that is now 1-6 in its last 7 games against power 5 schools.

Please share your plan. I'm curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please share your plan. I'm curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's no good option right now. The "U" has put itself in a terrible position without an A.D. in place. I can't go back in time and better vet Norwood Teague or get rid of Joel Maturi sooner or make this different decision that different decision. What I can say is that this belief that the "U" football program somehow has momentum seems to be based a lot more on personal affection for a certain play style or personality than actual results. I don't think many schools in the nation think "hey after 5 years, the BEST we will have done against power 5 schools is go .500", we've got to to keep this thing going with the right hand man!"

per Shooter:

Former Gopher-Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman is expected to get mentioned for the Gophers coaching vacancy, but there's little doubt that Minnesota interim coach Tracy Claeys, for continuity of the program, will be named permanent coach.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29053481/taylor-counting-rubio-blossom

Go Gophers!!

mark Trestman is a complete shed. he is not even a whisper of a candidate for any job going forward. Shooter is on crack.

I cannot see Trestman being effective in any manner as a recruiter. He sent the Bears franchise behind at least 5 years, in his 2 years ( I think) on the job.

There is a pool on Gopher Hole when Trestman would first be mentioned in the Media as a Candidate.
Who Won????

There's no good option right now. The "U" has put itself in a terrible position without an A.D. in place. I can't go back in time and better vet Norwood Teague or get rid of Joel Maturi sooner or make this different decision that different decision. What I can say is that this belief that the "U" football program somehow has momentum seems to be based a lot more on personal affection for a certain play style or personality than actual results. I don't think many schools in the nation think "hey after 5 years, the BEST we will have done against power 5 schools is go .500", we've got to to keep this thing going with the right hand man!"

I'm not knocking you as you could very well end up being right, but we don't see eye to eye on this. IMO, the program is moving in the right direction. The recruiting classes are getting stronger, the facilities are coming, and the team is more competitive on the field. Ever heard the adage, "Lose big, then lose small, then win small, then win big" when it comes to building a sports team? You don't just roll out of bed one day and decide to start kicking ass all over P5. Granted some of the previous 7 losses have been bad (Illinois, NW, and Neb), but the rest have been competitive losses against very highly regarded teams

I'm not knocking you as you could very well end up being right, but we don't see eye to eye on this. IMO, the program is moving in the right direction. The recruiting classes are getting stronger, the facilities are coming, and the team is more competitive on the field. Ever heard the adage, "Lose big, then lose small, then win small, then win big" when it comes to building a sports team? You don't just roll out of bed one day and decide to start kicking ass all over P5. Granted some of the previous 7 losses have been bad (Illinois, NW, and Neb), but the rest have been competitive losses against very highly regarded teams

Ain't that the truth.

I guess it depends on what you want to accept as a "ceiling" for a program. Some of us are old enough to remember when the University of Minnesota was a perennial threat to win the Big 10, and even a national power. We've got 6 or 6 national titles, depending on how who you talk to. This staff has done some very good things, admirable on many levels. The kids seem to be doing well in class, very little off-field stuff, tackle well, etc. But we consistently get outcoached in big games--think the bowls, think WI, think last night's meltdown late. I'd like to see us aim higher! Some seem to accept Mason-esque results.

I guess it depends on what you want to accept as a "ceiling" for a program. Some of us are old enough to remember when the University of Minnesota was a perennial threat to win the Big 10, and even a national power. We've got 6 or 6 national titles, depending on how who you talk to. This staff has done some very good things, admirable on many levels. The kids seem to be doing well in class, very little off-field stuff, tackle well, etc. But we consistently get outcoached in big games--think the bowls, think WI, think last night's meltdown late. I'd like to see us aim higher! Some seem to accept Mason-esque results.

Good point. The Gophers should be where Iowa is now and where Wisconsin has been the last few years. Minnesota has so many advantages over Wisconsin and Iowa and yet Gopher fans seem content with 8 wins by winning the "right way" whatever that means and having "character" whatever that means.

You look at Michigan State and Michigan and you see programs that win and aren't afraid to go for titles.

Give the head coaching job to Claeys. He'll learn from last nights 19 second mistake. Minnesota will go forward and we will become a force in the B1G West if we just stay the course. Enough with the short-sighted whining taking place here at the GH.

If Iowa started out the season playing TCU they wouldn't be where they are now.

Give the head coaching job to Claeys. He'll learn from last nights 19 second mistake. Minnesota will go forward and we will become a force in the B1G West if we just stay the course. Enough with the short-sighted whining taking place here at the GH.

The whining is only short sighted if Claeys actually wins a division or a championship.

I wouldn't bet on that.

Good point. The Gophers should be where Iowa is now and where Wisconsin has been the last few years. Minnesota has so many advantages over Wisconsin and Iowa and yet Gopher fans seem content with 8 wins by winning the "right way" whatever that means and having "character" whatever that means.

You look at Michigan State and Michigan and you see programs that win and aren't afraid to go for titles.

What are they?

What are they?

The newest stadium in the big ten with better locker room and club facilities. New facilities in training and practice being built. Being in a major metropolitan area with all the advantages to that. Compared to Iowa the only division 1 program in the state. Compared to Wisconsin and Iowa a better state economy. Better media market than Iowa City and Madison. MPLS is a city people from outside media want to visit. More national championships and a richer tradition than Iowa and Wisconsin. A better state that supports education better than the brainless idiots in Wisconsin who are running the state. For minority athletes a more diverse community than Iowa City and Madison.

Did you hear the Gophers had a groundbreaking ceremony on $166 million dollars worth of Athletic facilities on Friday? A big portion for football. When is the last time that happened? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The newest stadium in the big ten with better locker room and club facilities.

Yep

New facilities in training and practice being built.

This can probably be an advantage going forward but not to this point. We didn't even have a shovel in the ground until last Friday. My guess is most recruits weren't too impressed by "we're in the process of collecting funds to hopefully be able to build a very nice practice facility in the future."

Being in a major metropolitan area with all the advantages to that.

For some this is an advantage. But also can be a disadvantage as some prefer to be in a more traditional college town.

Compared to Iowa the only division 1 program in the state. Compared to Wisconsin and Iowa a better state economy. Better media market than Iowa City and Madison. MPLS is a city people from outside media want to visit.

I really don't see these as being a big advantage for the program.

More national championships and a richer tradition than Iowa and Wisconsin.

My guess is recruits aren't too impressed with national championships that happened over 50 years ago. But they are impressed with recent Big Ten Championships, Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl appearances. Wisconsin and Iowa have an advantage in this category and it isn't even close in my opinion.

A better state that supports education better than the brainless idiots in Wisconsin who are running the state.

I guess so but I don't think most recruits care about that. Wisconsin is still a very good and well respected university when it comes to academics.

For minority athletes a more diverse community than Iowa City and Madison.

I could see that coming into play for a few.

I will add that Wisconsin and Iowa have a huge advantage when it comes to program support. Their hardcore fan bases are much larger than ours. More fans, more boosters, more money, etc.

The newest stadium in the big ten with better locker room and club facilities. New facilities in training and practice being built. Being in a major metropolitan area with all the advantages to that. Compared to Iowa the only division 1 program in the state. Compared to Wisconsin and Iowa a better state economy. Better media market than Iowa City and Madison. MPLS is a city people from outside media want to visit. More national championships and a richer tradition than Iowa and Wisconsin. A better state that supports education better than the brainless idiots in Wisconsin who are running the state. For minority athletes a more diverse community than Iowa City and Madison.

So you listed Mark Dayton as a reason our football team should win more. And more diversity.

Is that you Sid?:)

Please tell me what those advantages are. Sure, we're located in a big city (for whatever that's worth), but Wisconsin and Iowa are located much closer to recruiting hotbeds of Chicago and St Louis. In fact you have to go right through those towns when traveling to Minneapolis. We have a similar population to the state of Wisconsin, but 60% of Minnesota's population is within a 30 minute drive of the U of M campus. That will be as much a disadvantage as an advantage for many of our instate recruits, as many kids don't want to go to school 20 minutes from where they grew up. I haven't looked at our roster, but I bet 80%+ of our instate players are from the 7 county metro area. Campion and Pirsig are the only ones that come to mind that are from greater MN.

I think our ceiling in the near term is to have a good football team every year and be in the conversation for a conference title every few years. But looking at things from an unbiased perspective (as hard as that is for me as a Gopher fan), I'd say that Iowa and especially Wisconsin have more natural advantages over us that we do over them.

Still better than Purdue who is something like 1-26...

I think our ceiling in the near term is to have a good football team every year and be in the conversation for a conference title every few years. But looking at things from an unbiased perspective (as hard as that is for me as a Gopher fan), I'd say that Iowa and especially Wisconsin have more natural advantages over us that we do over them.

Come on man. The people in Wisconsin are idiots. They are a state full of dumb people. Wisconsinites are small-minded people who don't appreciate an education. The reputation of Wisconsin-Madison is going down the toilet. They can't keep a head coach. Their two most recent coaches left for other jobs. They are starting to have serious problems and Minnesota needs to start taking advantage of that and thinking big. Being happy with 8-5 will get Minnesota nowhere.

Please tell me what those advantages are. Sure, we're located in a big city (for whatever that's worth), but Wisconsin and Iowa are located much closer to recruiting hotbeds of Chicago and St Louis. In fact you have to go right through those towns when traveling to Minneapolis. We have a similar population to the state of Wisconsin, but 60% of Minnesota's population is within a 30 minute drive of the U of M campus. That will be as much a disadvantage as an advantage for many of our instate recruits, as many kids don't want to go to school 20 minutes from where they grew up. I haven't looked at our roster, but I bet 80%+ of our instate players are from the 7 county metro area. Campion and Pirsig are the only ones that come to mind that are from greater MN.

While there may be some kids who want to get away from home for college, I suspect more would like to stay home so that their family and friends can watch them play. And much, I suspect, depends on their view of the quality of the hometown program. I think we've made a lot of progress in this regard, which can be seen in the fact that Kill and staff have been very successful this past year in keeping the Minnesota kids home. Additionally, I strongly believe that the Twin Cities offer a quality of life that can't be matched in Madison or Iowa City. This past summer, in independent studies, Minnesota or the Twin Cities, have been named the best nationally for business, employees, woman and children, and the nation's sixth best arts venue. That's on top of Minneapolis having the best bicycle path system and parks in the nation. Moreover, according to the last data that I have seen, the Twin Cities has the lowest unemployment rate among SMSAs and the state has the fourth fastest growing economy. Plus kids from distant locations probably aren't going to drive to Madison and Iowa City; they are going to fly. It's much easier to fly to MSP than either of those cities. I don't think either Wisconsin or Iowa have a natural recruiting advantage over us. Our problem is that we stopped adequately supporting our revenue sports in the 60s, but that is beginning to change, as evidenced by our new football stadium and the breaking of ground for the new Athletic Village.

Some seem to never accept anything and coaches are replaced every five years or so. You can try to fool the fools by saying: we have such high standards now we won't accept "Mason-esque_ results...so we move on and try to hire a new one we think can recruit better and take the program higher. The ONLY problem is that no one ever takes the program to a higher level than Mason-esque. And, every time a whole new coaching staff and system come in...it sets the program back... I think the "we have higher standards" crowd is pretty much full of b.s. They criticize the best of what we have had...but...their damn upgrade coaches never take the program to new heights. Keep TC and STAFFERS around for 10 years or longer and we just may some exciting seasons come around in a Magic and fortunate year. That is the best we will see. EG9 has been spouting his same lines for a long, long time and NOTHING changes even though the coaches are brought in and then leave about every four or five seasons. HIRE TC and his STAFFERS!

Top Bottom