Shooter: Surprisingly Tyler Johnson has not received an invite to the Senior Bowl; Martin and Coughlin have been invited

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Surprisingly, Gophers star wide receiver-Outback Bowl MVP Tyler Johnson, two weeks before the Senior Bowl, has not received an invitation to the game in Mobile, Ala., where NFL executives scout for April’s NFL draft.

Johnson, currently considered a mid- to late-round draft pick, has accepted an invitation to the second tier East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Getting bumped up to the Senior Bowl would be a huge opportunity for Johnson, said Scott Wright, who runs the well-informed draftcountdown.com.

“The thing that’s going to hurt (Johnson) this year is that wide receiver is historically deep, like an all-time class at that position,” Wright said. “In a normal year, maybe he’s a third- or fourth-round pick. Right now, I’d put him in the four-to-six range.

“He’s not quite as highly regarded as many believe.”

A sub-4.5 seconds, 40-yard dash at the NFL combine in February would improve the 6-2 Tyler’s draft status.

“I have him estimated at that middle 4.5 range,” Wright said. “If he could get in the 4.4s, that would certainly help his cause. We saw him running against some really good SEC speed in the Outback Bowl, so he might be one of those guys who plays faster than he runs in shorts.”

Gophers linebacker Kamal Martin and defensive end Carter Coughlin have been invited to the Senior Bowl on Jan. 25.

Go Gophers!!

Tyler is one of those the draft nerds like to pick apart for some reason. I see people saying he can’t get separation, isn’t good with contested catches (WTF?), isn’t good with jump ball situations (WTF?). Surprisingly, I see little mention of dropped balls, or they’ll mention it, but conclude that he’s improved a lot in that area. The Senior Bowl snub is killing him with these people.

per Shooter:

Surprisingly, Gophers star wide receiver-Outback Bowl MVP Tyler Johnson, two weeks before the Senior Bowl, has not received an invitation to the game in Mobile, Ala., where NFL executives scout for April’s NFL draft.

Johnson, currently considered a mid- to late-round draft pick, has accepted an invitation to the second tier East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Getting bumped up to the Senior Bowl would be a huge opportunity for Johnson, said Scott Wright, who runs the well-informed draftcountdown.com.

“The thing that’s going to hurt (Johnson) this year is that wide receiver is historically deep, like an all-time class at that position,” Wright said. “In a normal year, maybe he’s a third- or fourth-round pick. Right now, I’d put him in the four-to-six range.

“He’s not quite as highly regarded as many believe.”

A sub-4.5 seconds, 40-yard dash at the NFL combine in February would improve the 6-2 Tyler’s draft status.

“I have him estimated at that middle 4.5 range,” Wright said. “If he could get in the 4.4s, that would certainly help his cause. We saw him running against some really good SEC speed in the Outback Bowl, so he might be one of those guys who plays faster than he runs in shorts.”

Gophers linebacker Kamal Martin and defensive end Carter Coughlin have been invited to the Senior Bowl on Jan. 25.

Go Gophers!!
Shrine Bowl -January 18th at 2pm

If he doesn't play, he stays healthy, and yes, just send in his highlight tape out! I'm sure there are teams well aware of him.

If he doesn't play, he stays healthy, and yes, just send in his highlight tape out! I'm sure there are teams well aware of him.

Was discussed in one of the Winfield threads, the guaranteed money drops quickly once you get beyond the first few rounds so TJ needs to do anything possible to go as high as possible. It kind of sucks that fractions of a second in the 40 could play a huge role in where he gets drafted but that is how it works in the NFL.

Was discussed in one of the Winfield threads, the guaranteed money drops quickly once you get beyond the first few rounds so TJ needs to do anything possible to go as high as possible. It kind of sucks that fractions of a second in the 40 could play a huge role in where he gets drafted but that is how it works in the NFL.
Some predictions have TJ going early second round.

Tyler is one of those the draft nerds like to pick apart for some reason. I see people saying he can’t get separation, isn’t good with contested catches (WTF?), isn’t good with jump ball situations (WTF?). Surprisingly, I see little mention of dropped balls, or they’ll mention it, but conclude that he’s improved a lot in that area. The Senior Bowl snub is killing him with these people.
All he has to do is impress one team.

Guarantee TJ's 2nd contract will be bigger than the majority of those drafted in front of him

One thing I think many of us are dismissing is his vertical. That and some of the other drills might compensate for a not under 4.5 forty. I am hoping that he runs a great forty as well.

Like others have said, I don't know if he needs the Senior bowl as much as Martin and Coughlin do. I wonder if the Badger WR will be drafted before or after Tyler?

TJ is a home town kid made good. Is being shunned by the Senior Bowl because there are too many WRs in this draft class that are rated higher than him? I'd love to have the Vikings draft him. That will be major PR for both the Vikings and the Gophers.

According to this website there are 14 WR in the Senior Bowl.

Looking at this seasons statistics for Senior WR’s TJ is:

Yards - 4th
TD’s - 4th
Receptions/game - 10th

Not sure who is making these roster choices but this is BS.

So I was reading scouting reports about the Shrine Bowl practices and no mention of TJ and then checked the roster and he's not on it. Couldn't find him on any other bowl rosters. No invite to anything?

So I was reading scouting reports about the Shrine Bowl practices and no mention of TJ and then checked the roster and he's not on it. Couldn't find him on any other bowl rosters. No invite to anything?
I think he was invited to Shrine but turned it down. Likely focusing on getting that 40 time maxed.

Yeah, it seems to me that the only significant detriment to TJ's game is the dropped balls. Other than that, the dude has all the tools. I think others have said it on here, his game reminds me of a guy like Jake Reed.

If I recall correctly, Diggs wasn't a top-half draft receiver either. Nor was Thielen. Yet all of those high-end WRs the Vikings drafted were about worthless. I think TJ will be just fine, wherever he gets drafted.

He's already put in the work, made the commitments and established his MN legacy. With all of that, he can't really fail going forward. I suspect he will do well in the NFL (probably be a very solid #2 for a good number of years) and even if that weren't the case, his MN credentials will never stop bearing the fruit of opportunity here at home. Destined for success.

Also interesting to think that if he ends up having a notable first year in the NFL, that might help Rashod go even that much higher in '21 (assuming Bateman has the huge year we're all hoping for).

Tyler has been an underdog by default, as a Gopher for 4 years. Might as well go into the league that way and embellish his feel good story all the more with that. And speaking of underdogs, we as fans maybe should actually enjoy that while it lasts. I don't suspect that's gonna be much of a thing in the near-to-be future for this team.

Last edited:

Doesn't look like he's getting in the East-West game at least he's not in the box score.

Tyler johnson was 1st team all B1G for a team that runs more than it throws behind an OL w no Srs catching passes from a 6-0 avg armed QB.

He is f****** good. Screw them.

Top Bottom