Shooter: Plenty of candidates for Gophers job; decision on Pitino was made 10 days ago; Pitino could interview for New Mexico and South Florida

The next coach could not be any worse....Let's chat in a few years when the program has an actual identity and is a top half big ten team
I think you should be the top candidate for the job. Seems like you have all the answers for success. Bring us a big ten championship in your third year along with 3 nba players too. Thoughts?

I think you should be the top candidate for the job. Seems like you have all the answers for success. Bring us a big ten championship in your third year along with 3 nba players too. Thoughts?
Lol....did I say I have all the answers?....I certainly could lose 7 games in a row and I dont need a million dollars to do so....99.9 percent of the posters in here agree Pitino didnt get the job done and should be fired....Will the next coach win a B10 championship?...maybe...time will tell...I can guarantee you that Pitino could get another 8 years and will not win one.....Keep defending him though 🙄

GopherGangsta, we get it. You aren’t happy with Pitino’s tenure at the U. He’s out the door. You can be happy about it like most other posters.

But some of your arguments are absolutely horrible and make you look like a fool.

Starting NBA players??? That is a horrible argument. Hell, even players in the NBA isn’t a good point of judgement. Wisconsin has been much more successful than Minnesota over the course of the last 20 years. Wisconsin has 1 player (Frank Kaminsky) on an NBA roster. Minnesota has 2.

GopherGangsta, we get it. You aren’t happy with Pitino’s tenure at the U. He’s out the door. You can be happy about it like most other posters.

But some of your arguments are absolutely horrible and make you look like a fool.

Starting NBA players??? That is a horrible argument. Hell, even players in the NBA isn’t a good point of judgement. Wisconsin has been much more successful than Minnesota over the course of the last 20 years. Wisconsin has 1 player (Frank Kaminsky) on an NBA roster. Minnesota has 2.
Other B10 schools like Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, etc. have put plenty of talent in the NBA in the last 20 years....A program like Wisconsin has established a winning identity for decades and recruit players that buy into it....Pitino didnt nearly recruit enough talent and when he did there was no identity or player development that was established.

Lol....did I say I have all the answers?....I certainly could lose 7 games in a row and I dont need a million dollars to do so....99.9 percent of the posters in here agree Pitino didnt get the job done and should be fired....Will the next coach win a B10 championship?...maybe...time will tell...I can guarantee you that Pitino could get another 8 years and will not win one.....Keep defending him though 🙄
Stop being a clown. You started all of this by attacking Pitino's character because he may not have answered the question on a radio show about him being fired.

We all know his record and how it has not fulfilled our expectations. He has not gotten is done on the court, and we all know that. But, one thing most of can agree on is that Pitino is a fairly high character guy. He can be somewhat arrogant or cocky, but he generally is very straight forward and seems to be a very honest person.

None of us know all of the back story. For all we know, Coyle may be actively pursuing a "soft landing" for Pitino. We know that Coyle has liked Pitino. He may be passing around the word to lower level schools that Minnesota is moving on and that Pitino will be available. Coyle could give schools a positive impression of Pitino and say it just didn't work out at this level. That gives Pitino a better chance of getting a HC job than if he was just fired. If they had such an understanding, then it would be suicide for Pitino to start telling everyone he is getting fired.

The season is not done and Pitino still needs to coach the team in the B1G tournament. Coyle is surely pursuing a replacement through the agents channels.

Stop being a clown. You started all of this by attacking Pitino's character because he may not have answered the question on a radio show about him being fired.

We all know his record and how it has not fulfilled our expectations. He has not gotten is done on the court, and we all know that. But, one thing most of can agree on is that Pitino is a fairly high character guy. He can be somewhat arrogant or cocky, but he generally is very straight forward and seems to be a very honest person.

None of us know all of the back story. For all we know, Coyle may be actively pursuing a "soft landing" for Pitino. We know that Coyle has liked Pitino. He may be passing around the word to lower level schools that Minnesota is moving on and that Pitino will be available. Coyle could give schools a positive impression of Pitino and say it just didn't work out at this level. That gives Pitino a better chance of getting a HC job than if he was just fired. If they had such an understanding, then it would be suicide for Pitino to start telling everyone he is getting fired.

The season is not done and Pitino still needs to coach the team in the B1G tournament. Coyle is surely pursuing a replacement through the agents channels.
He was asked point blank if he and Coyle had any discussions on his job status...Instead of saying yes but I'm not going to discuss them at this time...He said we really haven't and I have always had his full support....Apparently that was a lie.

If this were true why did Pitino act like nothing was discussed with Coyle on his radio show?...Such a disingenuous and arrogant man...good riddance.
I see this as a waste of money. We can't fund public services and we are blowing cash out the door to get rid of a guy who a) ran a clean program, b) never embarrassed our state, and c) brought in some genuine talent. Did he have thin rosters open to injury downturns. You bet. But who saw this: Jarvis heart issue, Curry losing a promising career to injury, Washington being unable to adapt to Big Ten defenses, Lynch's allegations, Coffey leaves early... Who among us wanted M. Wright over Jelly Fam? Morons. Who wanted Kerwin Walton over Jalen Suggs? Guess what? Some of those guys were gettable. Who will be miss out on while Richard was chasing the Chet Holmgren pipedream? Boosters need to know their role and shut their hole.

I see this as a waste of money. We can't fund public services and we are blowing cash out the door to get rid of a guy who a) ran a clean program, b) never embarrassed our state, and c) brought in some genuine talent. Did he have thin rosters open to injury downturns. You bet. But who saw this: Jarvis heart issue, Curry losing a promising career to injury, Washington being unable to adapt to Big Ten defenses, Lynch's allegations, Coffey leaves early... Who among us wanted M. Wright over Jelly Fam? Morons. Who wanted Kerwin Walton over Jalen Suggs? Guess what? Some of those guys were gettable. Who will be miss out on while Richard was chasing the Chet Holmgren pipedream? Boosters need to know their role and shut their hole.
He is gone so this is a moot point

I'm sure you loved when Isaiah Washington committed here. Keep this same energy next season when Carr, Mash, Robbins all leave. No excuses for the new coach
I agree. Who the hell would want to play here? I bunch of guys with D1 playing time aspirations and D2 starter level talent. I fully expect winless big 10 seasons moving forward. Pitino is getting rolled.

2017-18 was probably the best roster we've had since 97. This year and 16-17 were up there too. Again, the guy has had terrible luck, what part of that don't you understand?
I understand that this years roster is nowhere as good as you think it is.

I am not following what you are saying. Are you in favor of keeping RP?

South Florida would be a good fit for Pitino, New Mexico wouldn't. NM has basically zero instate quality recruits. Whoever lands there is going to have to live on the road to do recruiting, and that's not little Richard's style.

He was asked point blank if he and Coyle had any discussions on his job status...Instead of saying yes but I'm not going to discuss them at this time...He said we really haven't and I have always had his full support....Apparently that was a lie.
Lol man what a hill for you to die on. Who cares how he answered this question on his way out the door. He’s been a good representative of the university character wise and is well like around the coaching world as a person. Just let it go that he wasn’t “honest” enough for you in a question about him getting fired.

South Florida would be a good fit for Pitino, New Mexico wouldn't. NM has basically zero instate quality recruits. Whoever lands there is going to have to live on the road to do recruiting, and that's not little Richard's style.
I'm guessing he was on the road quite a bit for the Gophers.

New Mexico has a pretty decent program with some historical success under Bliss and Alford. They care about bball there. Decent arena and fan support.

TBF, besides the Curry knee issue, all of those things could’ve been foreseen in the part in bold. It’s not like they were impossible. Jarvis’s heart condition was known since he was younger, Amir was a top level recruit with an NBA frame, many coaches passed on Jelly because of Defensive issues. Lynch had some issues at Illinois State. Now those aren’t the reasons I think Pitino should be relieved either besides maybe Lynch. Also other teams have this stuff happen to and they figure it out and can be successful. Wisconsin lost their best perimeter scoring wing last year and won the conference for an example.
We do agree that holding Pitino accountable for not getting Suggs, Hurt, or Chet is ridiculous. That being said Pitino never developed a system here and never got his teams to defend at a high level. That’s why he’s gone.

Coyle had his chance to dismiss Pitino over bringing in Lynch without doing sufficient due-diligence on his "past".

Would've been a terrible black eye for the school, that was trying to dig out from the football scandal. Could've been an order from on high, we'll never know.

Look, all I need to know is that since 1970, the Gophers have had zero conference road wins twice, in 2016 and this season. Should we pin that on the players? No, because we had different teams both times, but the same head coach. That says he learned nothing here. We were supposed to give him learning time and he bailed on his class.

as far as what Pitino said or didn't say, here's some speculation:

Pitino knows it's over at MN. So, he can make a big stink on his way out the door, or he can take the 'high road' by not getting into a p*ssing match with the AD or Administration.

Taking the high road makes him look more classy. Making a stink could impact his future job prospects. other schools may be wary about hiring a guy who left his last job on bad terms.

So, I think it is in Pitino's best interests to go out with as much dignity as he can salvage.

Imagine if Pitino went on the radio and said something like, "yeah, I'm gone. everybody knows I'm gone. The AD just doesn't want to say anything until after the season, but I don't give a bleep what he thinks. He's firing me, so bleep him."

How does that help Pitino? it doesn't. it just makes him look petty.

You only get a pass if you're not Richard Pitino. That's how it works on Gopherhole
I don't care about any other program, but the Gophers. I bleed Maroon and Gold. I suffer the embarrassment of having to defend this program at every turn to my in-laws who are Hawkeye, Cyclone and Cornhusker fans and co-workers who want to make their MNSCU schools, SCSU and MSU-Mankato seem so much better because we are so awful.

The conference record, the disciplinary problems and the brushing off in-state high schools and clubs all added up to Pitino needing to go.

Did you just start following the program? Richard has had awful injury & transfer luck, that isn't breaking news lmao.

Well one of two things is true after 8 years. Either "bad luck" is simply an excuse that losing coaches and their supporters rely on or Pitino is the victim of a curse that has caused him bad luck for 8 years and it appears the curse is permanent.

I tend to think it is the former, but either way, we need to win games, so we can't afford to employ Pitino as our coach even if he is an extremely talented coach, but for some magical reason, perpetually unlucky.

Hush, clown.

He embarrassed me as a fan by losing a home game by 31 and not winning a game on the road.

Are you an alumnus?

I can't believe all the Pitino-apologists in this state. This state has never produced the high level talent that we have seen come out this state in recent years, and Pitino has missed out on nearly all of them! I don't care if Duke or North Carolina are recruiting them - the home state team should get our best players. Kevin McHale and Randy Breuer went to Minnesota back in the day because Dutcher always was able to get the best Minnesota players - there was no question he would get them. The top players are not going to the U because they know Pitino is not going to lead them to a high finish in the Big Ten or the NCAAs. and that will hurt their pro prospects. Simple.

Top Bottom