Shooter Now: Minnesota Gophers light up stadium to impress prep star Seantrel Henders

No one can say we didn't try our hardest to get him. If he decides not to come here, it won't be because the recruiting wasn't up to snuff.

No one can say we didn't try our hardest to get him. If he decides not to come here, it won't be because the recruiting wasn't up to snuff.

Exactly - it will not be due to lack of effort. I thought those ideas were really creative, and about all you can do without stepping over the line. I loved the SH "brand" idea too. Good work...now we can just sit and wait!

Impressive!!

I would sure be impressed if a program lit up their stadium for me. Pretty cool stuff. :clap::D

More Proof

Of 24/7/365 recruiting. The fact Seantrel took the tour is more than a glimmer of hope, and no one can deny TCF as a recuiting tool, priceless.

Love it, this was his last impression of the whole recruiting process. Way to go Brew.

I will be disappointed if Seantrel doesn't choose the gophers, but not with him or the coaches. Seantrel gave us the opportunity and it sounds like the coaches did everything they could to get him. It's the same old how do you keep them down on the farm after they've seen _ _ _ _ _ _?

WOW

That presentation definitely would have me leaving impressed.

"Included was a seven-foot cutout of Henderson with a No. 77 Gophers jersey, his high school number."

LOL, this recruiting stuff is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time. I've never once questioned whether Brewster was doing all he can to get Seantrel here, it's just a matter of whether he finds the lure of family and friends being around for support enough to keep him from going to another program which, let's face it, is of stronger caliber than the U.

Are the recruiting regulations different for football and basketball? I remember one of the California schools, USC or UCLA, getting in trouble awhile back for simulating gametime introductions for recruits at their arena. Seems like producing uniforms, cutouts, logos and so on is in the same vein.

Since it appears it is down to three, I just hope he picks USC if he doesn't pick UMN. Having him go to Ohio State would be a kick in the head especially since OSU couldn't even land the top 4 recruits in their own state.

I would love to be wearing a #77 MN jersey next fall at TCF!

If he went to Ohio St and had an off year, he would be quickly replaced by another 4-5 star recruit. At MN, he would start every game, every year and be a hometown hero.

That is great stuff. I will really give it to Brew and co for this one. We may get him we may not but Timmmys recruiting abilities were full on display for SH. Goob job Brew. No one can knock on Brew for his effort. He is up there with the best recruiters in the nation.

That is great stuff. I will really give it to Brew and co for this one. We may get him we may not but Timmmys recruiting abilities were full on display for SH. Goob job Brew. No one can knock on Brew for his effort. He is up there with the best recruiters in the nation.

I'm sure Ruesse already has his column written and ready to go if SH gives the UM thumbs down. Ruesse thrives on that stuff and will call Brewsters program an utter failure.

Since it appears it is down to three, I just hope he picks USC if he doesn't pick UMN. Having him go to Ohio State would be a kick in the head especially since OSU couldn't even land the top 4 recruits in their own state.

UMN? Minnesota-Normandale?

Can you imagine the local and national buzz if he does by chance sign with us? The story coming out would be HUGE, especially doing it on national TV.

This is the type of young man who could really overturn the perception of this program for many.

Two dozen pizzas? Wow, how many people were there?

Can anyone make sense of the "brand" idea? Is that like the Jordan nike thing or what? I just don't get what they showed him, clothes?

Any guesses on how many times Lane Kiffin will contact him from now until signing day? I'll say 5.

Two dozen pizzas? Wow, how many people were there?

Can anyone make sense of the "brand" idea? Is that like the Jordan nike thing or what? I just don't get what they showed him, clothes?

Any guesses on how many times Lane Kiffin will contact him from now until signing day? I'll say 5.

5 times an hour!!!!!! LOL :):)

Its too bad that we can't carry over a huge possible recruit like this and turn it into more this year, hopefully one five star leads to more

To be fair I think there are multiple aspects of the recruiting process. This story gives us insight into the creativity and flash put forth by Brew - and I agree it shows that he's treating SH as the most important recruit he's ever talked to (which by all accounts he is). So I too like seeing this and hope it had some impact on the kid (and parent(s)).

What we can't see in this article is what is SAID during such a meeting - at least as important as the flash, if not moreso. It would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall during a recruiting visit like this one. How does Brew handle himself - is he believable? Sincere? Do the players/parents buy-in to what they are hearing?

Based on the input of at least a couple of parents here on this board I think he probably presents himself and the U very well. I guess I'm just suggesting we have to blindly believe that he is effectively communicating with the recruits in that setting, and not just relying solely on the flash.

The SH visit could be a watershed moment in Brew's coaching career. He needed to hit a walk-off HR. Here's to hoping he pulled it off.

Brewster pulled out all the stops. Nice work.

I hope Seantrel sees it in his heart that he comes to Minnesota.

Here's a good primer on the concept of Personal Branding - it's an interesting concept for a college football coach to be presenting to a student-athlete during the recruiting process. I imagine it would have to be presented in very specific ways rather than as a nebulous concept as portrayed in this article.

The Brand Called You

Nothing will top the absurdity of Oregon making a comic book during Jonathon Stewart's recruitment:
oregon-comic-cover.jpg

I think the most salient point made during discussions about the recruiting of SH is the one about home town legend. He will never be more than another All-American lineman at the likes of OSU, but could be the stuff of a Nagurski in Minnesota. No comparing the risk vs. benefit. If one of my boys had the opportunity to rise to legendary status and push the local program over the hump while playing in front of friends and family, no way would Tressel see the inside of my house. Have an off year at OSU and you might never see the field again.

If by some chance we do sign Seantrel, few if any season tickets will not be renewed for 2010.

I assume that Ohio State and USC did not make this kind of effort while recruiting SH. Hopefully this shows him which school he is the most important to.

Gotta hand it to Brewster and the staff. You can't try any harder than they are. I'll feel bad for Brewster if he doesn't win this one.

Top Bottom