Shooter Now: Gophers' Jerry Kill wishes bowls didn't affect redshirts

"You'd like to have it happen, I can tell you that, because it makes a lot of sense because there's a lot of people going to bowl games all beat up," Kill said this week.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

We not? If the Bowls are suppose to be an "award for the players" and the kids are in school anyway, what would it hurt? Once upon a time wasn't it allowed for post-New Years Bowls, next calendar year bowls?

I get why Kill and other coaches would want this change, would be a great chance to get a red shirt player into a game in which the end result really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

But I don't get citing injury as the reason for wanting this because by the time a bowl rolls around most teams are as healthy as they have been in months given they have a month or more from the time the season ends till the bowl game is played.

Actually I would take this a touch further and allow participation in up to 2 games and still allow the redshirt. The deeper teams wouldn't need it but teams like Minnesota might really benefit from it

Actually I would take this a touch further and allow participation in up to 2 games and still allow the redshirt. The deeper teams wouldn't need it but teams like Minnesota might really benefit from it

Let's go even one further and basically do away with the whole concept of measuring eligibility by years. Why not just say that a player can't play in more than 48 games (12 x 4) in a five year period. And conference championships and bowls would not count against the 48. You could get your players some valuable experience when they are underclassmen by playing them in a handful of games each year while still having them eligible for the entire seasons when they are 4th and 5th year players.

I'm just trying to think outside the box but what would be the downside of something like this?

I don't like the idea. Play with the players that got you to the bowl. It's a reward for them. A redshirt needs to wait his turn. I would hate to think that a contributing junior or senior is snubbed in a bowl game, just so the coach can review some hotshot redshirt. Let 'em wait.

I don't like the idea. Play with the players that got you to the bowl. It's a reward for them. A redshirt needs to wait his turn. I would hate to think that a contributing junior or senior is snubbed in a bowl game, just so the coach can review some hotshot redshirt. Let 'em wait.

I don't like it either. Potentially harms seniors by being sat down in their last game. I think if they want to do it, maybe say you can play in 1-2 games or make games against FCS teams not count toward eligibility. Maybe create a 13th season game that is designated against a FCS team and doens't count toward eligibility. Could be during a bye week. Maybe do what the MIAC does and have a couple JV games.

This thought process just shows how coaches and fans think of a Bowl game as the kickoff to the next season and not a celebration of the season just completed. Shows that bowls are wanted for all the wrong reasons.

Let's just eliminate 80% of the bowl games and allow all teams to practice through the end of bowl season.

Let's just eliminate 80% of the bowl games and allow all teams to practice through the end of bowl season.

Keep all of the bowl games and let all teams practice until the last bowl game/ NC game is played.

So players would get 5 years to play 4 years and 5 bowl games. Doesn't make sense to me and I doubt it will to the presidents. Make the best of what you got, coach. Play some of the guys you haven't played yet, It's not like you don't have enough players.

Besides, it would just be another recruiting advantage for the schools that go to bowls virtually every single year.

Agreed. You gotta dance with who brung you.

Let's go even one further and basically do away with the whole concept of measuring eligibility by years. Why not just say that a player can't play in more than 48 games (12 x 4) in a five year period. And conference championships and bowls would not count against the 48. You could get your players some valuable experience when they are underclassmen by playing them in a handful of games each year while still having them eligible for the entire seasons when they are 4th and 5th year players.

I'm just trying to think outside the box but what would be the downside of something like this?

Brilliant. 85 scholie rule is in place, evens things out a bit. Actually, this is the best idea I've had since I began putting chipotles in adobo sauce in the food processor and then mixing with ketchup and placing a top a big Guy Fieri like burger.

"You'd like to have it happen, I can tell you that, because it makes a lot of sense because there's a lot of people going to bowl games all beat up," Kill said this week.

Ok, I'm gettin' sick and tired of this. Is the ANYTHING that this guy doesn't complain about???? I mean, c'mon! First it was the players had no work ethic. Then they weren't conditioned enough. Then there isn't a practice facility. Then the non-conference schedule is too hard. Now they're too banged up for a bowl game. Holy cripes!

What's this guy like at a restaurant? Steak is too rare, now it's too done, now my potatoes are cold. Too much dressing on the salad. Too dark in the room. Now it's too light in the room. Too crowded in here. This to-go box isn't big enough. On and on and on....

Ok, I'm gettin' sick and tired of this. Is the ANYTHING that this guy doesn't complain about???? I mean, c'mon! First it was the players had no work ethic. Then they weren't conditioned enough. Then there isn't a practice facility. Then the non-conference schedule is too hard. Now they're too banged up for a bowl game. Holy cripes!

What's this guy like at a restaurant? Steak is too rare, now it's too done, now my potatoes are cold. Too much dressing on the salad. Too dark in the room. Now it's too light in the room. Too crowded in here. This to-go box isn't big enough. On and on and on....

Uhhhhh...I didn't read it that way, but have fun flying off the handle!

I don't see the need for players to play in 5 bowl games.

LOL

Top Bottom