Shooter: Murray Warmath had a career-high salary of $37,500 a year, Fleck gets $375K a month

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Murray Warmath, who coached the Gophers to two Rose Bowls and a national championship, had a career-high salary of $37,500 a year in the mid-1960s. Current Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is signed for $375,000 a month this year.

Go Gophers!!

Adjusted for inflation 37,500 1960 dollars is about 300,000 2020 dollars

Adjusted for inflation 37,500 1960 dollars is about 300,000 2020 dollars
Wait, for real? That's funny, kinda destroys the argument or implication Shooter is trying to make.

per Shooter:

Murray Warmath, who coached the Gophers to two Rose Bowls and a national championship, had a career-high salary of $37,500 a year in the mid-1960s. Current Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is signed $375,000 a month this year.

Go Gophers!!
WgYBXNEwiSKoO1XtIc61Y8_3GdiukYaxFXYix692f0fsSQgUXC5hhM2f_rrYUXYuaIzW4HJNZxvYFP9fjQdrshk514q0NA6Wzgp4LXkZzrTQ-nITS3gh_5oDciQudfdFs-Ub48so61d_TnaljO6W-Y0GoFH2hbf4oHc

Wait, for real? That's funny, kinda destroys the argument or implication Shooter is trying to make.
Yes
About 325,000
Obviously fleck makes more than that

the average income of an American family in 1960 was less than 6000 per year,

I’m not sure what shooters point is other than to get people riled up about absolutely nothing

B1G coaches should work for free. College sports are for the love of the game, amiright?

They didn't have the earning potential like they have today with digital based media advertising income nor did they have the facilities and coaches salary war.

Related to salaries then and now, didn't Bud Grant say he was amazed at the differences in salary between the time when he was playing in pro football and what his players were making?

There are so many things different between the two eras.

Always tough to know what Shooter's goal with stuff like this is. It makes for an interesting factoid but there is zero correlation between what coaches were paid in Warmath's day vs. what they are paid today. The economics of the sport are completely different.

per Shooter:

Murray Warmath, who coached the Gophers to two Rose Bowls and a national championship, had a career-high salary of $37,500 a year in the mid-1960s. Current Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is signed for $375,000 a month this year.

Go Gophers!!
This is some hard-hitting stuff.

People got paid less in the past if you just look at $ amounts.

Shocking!

Harmon Killebrew's top salary $120,000 in 1972. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $736,000 today.

In 1972, minimum salary was $13,500. Average salary was just over $34,000.

Current MLB minimum salary is $563,000. Average salary as of 2018 was just over $4-million.

OK - found concession stand prices for Met Stadium in MN in 1966.

Hot Dog 30-cents.
Beer 40-cents.
Pop 15-cents small, 25-cents large
Ice Cream 15-cents small, 25-cents large.

and......

Cigarettes 35-cents. Yes, they sold cigarettes at the ball park. Cigars, too.

OK - found concession stand prices for Met Stadium in MN in 1966.

Hot Dog 30-cents.
Beer 40-cents.
Pop 15-cents small, 25-cents large
Ice Cream 15-cents small, 25-cents large.

and......

Cigarettes 35-cents. Yes, they sold cigarettes at the ball park. Cigars, too.
They should have a throwback game once a year and also the pricing from 1966.

Dollar dog night at the dome was great ... for a very short window when you could get one fairly easily.

But folks just wanted dog after dog and then there were endless lines and rules.

TCF's food lines move crazy slow at current prices....

Not only the salary - but PJ is also willing to pay way more for a gallon of gas than Warmath ever did. He just doesn’t seem to care.

For 40 cents a beer, I could get pretty drunk. But then the inevitable standing occurs, which leads to the ultimate sin of being , shall we say, rowdy?

Housing was also much cheaper back then. There was no big TV deals help a coaches.
After finishing all my schooling in 1964 my first job paid 41,000 dollars. That seemed like a ton of money. Keep in mind the investment opportunities at the time. 468 feet on Wayzata bay was purchased for 27,000. Five acres on Lionshead, ski in, ski out was 19,000. College sports were always hyper competitive but the arms race blew up with the giant expansion of TV contracts. Coaches were already valued as only great coaches could win but the demand was not there before the money, academia would not allow that power , sure the popularity but not the power. Now great coaches are valued more than the president amongst alumni and fans. Seat liscenses, merchandise, donations. The money changed and so did the coaches responsibilities away from the game.

If PJ can take the team to two Rose Bowls and win a National Championship I'd say he's a bargain at that price.

Does Shooter have a job? he can't make money doing this, right?

Is this a typo or are you saying you made roughly the same as Warmath immediately after graduation?
Right out of Law School i joined a very successful family business. The guys ahead of me in my class were paid twice as much as i was !

After finishing all my schooling in 1964 my first job paid 41,000 dollars. That seemed like a ton of money.
I don't think it only seemed like a lot of money, it is a lot of money.

According to a converter I found via googling, that's equivalent to $341,336.75 in 2020 dollars.

Right out of Law School i joined a very successful family business. The guys ahead of me in my class were paid twice as much as i was !
In the spring of '87, I was 19 and just finished my one year of vo-tech. I got my first "professional" job paying me $7 an hour. One year later I was given a $2 an hour raise. I felt like this...
spanky gifs wifflegif

Yes, I am fully aware those are just coins. Because, ya...

Shooter's only point is he had column inches to fill, and nothing new to write about

I don't think it only seemed like a lot of money, it is a lot of money.

According to a converter I found via googling, that's equivalent to $341,336.75 in 2020 dollars.
Your right and if it was not a family connection i would have been pulling closer to 19,000. There were guys in my class who got far more than i did. Not sure of the equivalent. I do know of a recent law grad that also had a MBA that got a job at Apple that started at 380,000 counting a sign on bonus and options. I remember working at a taco stand in Salinas that paid me 75 cents a hour ! That carried me until i got a caddie job at Pebble Beach that was still the best job i ever had, not the best paying but as a 19 year old i could leave with 50-75 dollars in one day of 1959 work !

Top Bottom