Shooter: Mike Grimm and Darrell Thompson expected to do Gopher games on KFAN

Reusse had him as a Turkey of the Year candidate. I hope this is not true. If you listen to him do a basketball game he complains about the officiating the whole game. I gaurantee any big play that the Gophers give up he will say "may have gotten away with a hold." He just sounds rediculous.

Good enough for me. At least he is passionate and a homer, too. Ray Christianson was both. Who can forget his "someone get that guy out of here" calls?

Also, anybody that rubs Reusse wrong is OK by me. Ruesse wouldn't know PBP talent if if walked up and called him a "fat pig". Grimm will be an upgrade.

Thompson is a very good analyst.

Good enough for me. At least he is passionate and a homer, too. Ray Christianson was both. Who can forget his "someone get that guy out of here" calls?

Also, anybody that rubs Reusse wrong is OK by me. Ruesse wouldn't know PBP talent if if walked up and called him a "fat pig". Grimm will be an upgrade.

A bit of a homer does not bother me either. Grimm told me that he grew up as a Hawkeye fan (from Manchester, IA), which is understandable. So what if he wants the home team to win, Larry Munson did that at Georgia for years. That style can work, but as indicated by others, its not for everyone.

This is a radio broadcast of Golden Gopher Football. It is not a national TV gig. Local radio should give the listener some idea this is our team. These are our guys. And its ok to be thrilled with the success, and dismayed with a defeat. And if a call is questionable, and it goes against Gophers a little outrage is called for.

Grimm has all of the above. And one thing he does have that all great play by play anouncers have is the ability to broadcast the picture through a radio. He has the classic NBC stacato delivery that is trainned. Two practioners of this were certainly David Brinkley, and Ray Christensen. He also has what I call natural inflection range. All great calls feature this. I predict he will be in the seat for a long time.

When it comes to the Jerry Kill radio show, I imagine it will be Grimm hosting. I for one would love to see our GopherLady on that broadcast. She represents everyfan.

If you've been suffering from Ebola even a touch of food poisoning would be a welcome improvement. I agree that this is OUR radio broadcast. These guys don't need to be totally impartial. OTOH, I don't want the play by play guys to sound like pro wrestling announcers. If I want that I'll listen to the Vikings on the radio.

This is a radio broadcast of Golden Gopher Football. It is not a national TV gig. Local radio should give the listener some idea this is our team. These are our guys. And its ok to be thrilled with the success, and dismayed with a defeat. And if a call is questionable, and it goes against Gophers a little outrage is called for.

Grimm has all of the above. And one thing he does have that all great play by play anouncers have is the ability to broadcast the picture through a radio. He has the classic NBC stacato delivery that is trainned. Two practioners of this were certainly David Brinkley, and Ray Christensen. He also has what I call natural inflection range. All great calls feature this. I predict he will be in the seat for a long time.

When it comes to the Jerry Kill radio show, I imagine it will be Grimm hosting. I for one would love to see our GopherLady on that broadcast. She represents everyfan.

Great post. Not sure that Grimm is my favorite but will be happy if this is true. Dolphin (Iowa) and Lapay? (WI) are great PBP guys.

Mike Grimm = terrible

Thompson = excellent

With the exception of Bob Kurtz this town has absolutely god awful radio and TV people.

Rod Trongard

Yes back in the days when the gophers were on more than one station i enjoyed his broadcasts. He died recently and I miss him.

what about that guy from SD who sent in a tape of himself

The last game I listened to on the radio was the 2007 Florida Atlantic game. If they are able to synch up the radion broadcast with the BTN/ESPN feed then I would listen to that over the TV audio but the radio is always 8 seconds faster. It's always wierd to watch what you know in advance what is going to happen.

This is a non-factor for me but I'm glad to see Thompson get the gig.

I've always like Wally Shaver's voice for hockey. I also liked Mazzacco, not so much Woog.

Grimm and Thompson are light years an improvement over Lee.

I've always like Wally Shaver's voice for hockey. I also liked Mazzacco, not so much Woog.

Grimm and Thompson are light years an improvement over Lee.

Agree on the hockey guys. Also Sonmor is my all-time favorite among homers - love the guy.

I don't know Grimm but didn't care for Lee. Darrell is fine but a little quiet. He may need to step it up with no Mona sitting next to him.

This is a miserable market for sportscasters. Blyleven is good when he talks about what he knows, but like most of these ex-jocks, they think they are a lot funnier than they really are. John Gordon has to be the worst though. Unlistenable when he came to town over twenty years ago and worse now. Gladden provides some good insight, but he's a terrible homer who rips players on other teams with regularity, which is a bit uncalled for. I think Paul Allen calls a good game, but it would be nice if they paired him with someone better. Senser was on the refs ad nauseum and Bercich is a snooze.

Thompson is a decent analyst. We'll wait and see on Grimm. I wonder who, if anyone, will man the third spot in the booth if they have one. I always thought Mona did a good job of cleaning up after Dave Lee and was kind of the glue in the press box for the broadcasts.

There would probably be over a hundred applicants if the Gopher Job was opened up to auditions.

There are a lot of people paying there dues out there.

I for one am very happy that Grimm got the gig!! I am also very happy that Thompson will also add his two cents worth!!!!

Grimm is very good at broadcasting!! I like the homer in him and I also think he tells it like it is!!

Go Gophers!!!!:)

Top Bottom