Shooter: Mark Coyle is expected to receive consideration for the Kentucky a.d. job if he gets an endorsement from men’s basketball coach John Calipari

Before we declare victory based on those hires, I think it is worth noting that of the 10 seasons they have collectively coached, I only count one really good season (Fleck in 2019). The second best season in the bunch is last hockey season (where we were the runner up in the B1G, won the conference tourney, won an NCAA game but then got blown out by Mankato in the 2nd round), so two if you count that as well.
Agreed. Fleck has been solid imo. But women's basketball immediately took a step backward under Whalen and haven't recovered. Men's hockey has had one decent season under Motzko to date and Coyle has taken a complete flier on the men's basketball hire (much like he did with Whalen). It's not like the U has suddenly overcome their penchant for mediocrity under Coyle.

Before we declare victory based on those hires, I think it is worth noting that of the 10 seasons they have collectively coached, I only count one really good season (Fleck in 2019). The second best season in the bunch is last hockey season (where we were the runner up in the B1G, won the conference tourney, won an NCAA game but then got blown out by Mankato in the 2nd round), so two if you count that as well.
Still to be seen how the Whalen and Johnson hires work out.
Motzko was a no brainer. Hard to give much credit there. He's the guy I would have picked, and I'm just a guy on a message board.
PJ was a great hire, although also a bit of a no brainer hire as he was considered a hot commodity.

Motzko was a no brainer. Hard to give much credit there. He's the guy I would have picked, and I'm just a guy on a message board.
PJ was a great hire, although also a bit of a no brainer hire as he was considered a hot commodity.
If they win enough I'll give plenty of credit regardless of how much of a "no brainer" the hire was on the front end, and if they don't, I'll criticize the hire even if it seemed like a "no brainer" at the time. An AD's job isn't to make the obvious choice, it is to make the choice that is going to give us success, so the best time to evaluate a hire is after that coach's time here is done. On all four of the hires discussed (especially the one who hasn't coached a game here yet), I think we are still in "jury is still out" time.

No brainers maybe, but still had to convince them to take the jobs. PJ as you said was a hot commodity, he certainly would have had his pick of jobs. And Motzko had good thing going at SCSU, he could have retired there and continued to have much success in the meantime.

Top Bottom