Shooter: Mark Coyle is expected to receive consideration for the Kentucky a.d. job if he gets an endorsement from men’s basketball coach John Calipari

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Insiders say Minnesota’s Mark Coyle was runner-up on the Parker Executive search firm’s recommendation for athletics director at Missouri, which the other day hired Desiree Reed-Francois from Nevada-Las Vegas. Coyle, a former deputy a.d. at Kentucky, is expected to receive consideration for the Kentucky a.d. job if he gets an endorsement from men’s basketball coach John Calipari. Current a.d. Mitch Barnhart is signed through next spring.

Go Gophers!!

Is Shooter just completely fabricating this rumor? There is nothing that insinuates Barnhart is going anywhere.

As with all this the real question is whether or not Coyle is actually interested in any of these openings or potential openings.

He is from Iowa, started his career at Minnesota. He did work at Kentucky 10+ years ago, no clue how strong of a desire he would have to get back there.

Given the great relationship he apparently has with Fleck here's hoping he wants to stick it out here for the long haul.

I don't think Coyle will take a job elsewhere, namely since he's made enough hires here that if they all average out to mediocre or good he can likely ride on that into retirement without having to worry about getting fired.

Plus, with his relationship to Fleck, i think it's in both of their best interests to stay at the same school.

If he had no interest his name would not continuously surface.
We have a different President than the one he signed on with.
I do not think this counts as his name surfacing. I can find zero reports outside of Shooter that Kentucky is looking or Coyle has any interest in it. I think this speculation is completely pulled out of thin air.

If he had no interest his name would not continuously surface.
We have a different President than the one he signed on with.
Not necessarily true. Names get floated all the time in coach and AD searches, that doesn't mean there is mutual interest.

And to be clear, not saying he isn't interested just that his name being tossed around doesn't necessarily mean he is.

No idea whether the UK job is coming open and not predicting Coyle is heading out, but I think that this is the type of job that Coyle might leave Minnesota to take. First, he speaks quite fondly of his time at Kentucky and his relationship with the people there, including Barnhart. Second, it's the SEC. That means a greater emphasis of sports on campus, a greater influence for the AD, a bigger budget than Minnesota and a torrent of additional revenue coming soon as the new TV deals are negotiated after the arrival of Texas and Oklahoma. Third, UK has a secondary revenue sport cash cow that Minnesota will never match. UK's basketball revenue is double (or more) Minnesota's. Yes, that creates more pressure to win, but they are set up to succeed in basketball and no one realistically expects them to compete with the Alabama/Georgia crowd in football on a regular basis.

Not necessarily true. Names get floated all the time in coach and AD searches, that doesn't mean there is mutual interest.

And to be clear, not saying he isn't interested just that his name being tossed around doesn't necessarily mean he is.
Names get floated by agents. Was his name floated when PJ was hot? ((His hire)
And Whalen was new and considered a HR hire? The softball team at historic highs? No, it wasn’t.
We got a new president. He didn’t pick the basketball coach. He’s not happy.
Seems pretty dang obvious to me.

Names get floated all the time, but it's a little more serious if he was a runner-up as a search firm's recommendation for Missouri. A search firm doesn't only float names, they help determine a candidate's interest -- that's what they're paid for. It still doesn't mean Coyle would've taken it -- or that Shooter had correct information.

Names get floated all the time, but it's a little more serious if he was a runner-up as a search firm's recommendation for Missouri. A search firm doesn't only float names, they help determine a candidate's interest -- that's what they're paid for. It still doesn't mean Coyle would've taken it -- or that Shooter had correct information.
the real crux

No idea whether the UK job is coming open and not predicting Coyle is heading out, but I think that this is the type of job that Coyle might leave Minnesota to take. First, he speaks quite fondly of his time at Kentucky and his relationship with the people there, including Barnhart. Second, it's the SEC. That means a greater emphasis of sports on campus, a greater influence for the AD, a bigger budget than Minnesota and a torrent of additional revenue coming soon as the new TV deals are negotiated after the arrival of Texas and Oklahoma. Third, UK has a secondary revenue sport cash cow that Minnesota will never match. UK's basketball revenue is double (or more) Minnesota's. Yes, that creates more pressure to win, but they are set up to succeed in basketball and no one realistically expects them to compete with the Alabama/Georgia crowd in football on a regular basis.
Minnesota will never match Kentucky in hoops, but UK football is a blackhole, where finishing third in the SEC East is the gold standard. Plus Men's hockey is a potential third money maker, there aren't a lot of schools with three sports with the potential to be in the black. Also the Big Ten currently has a better TV deal than the SEC. Full fledged Big Ten members came out about 9 mill ahead of SEC members in TV money last year. Maybe he takes the UK job for reasons unknown, but from a financial standpoint Coyle's at a better school right now.

I do not think this counts as his name surfacing. I can find zero reports outside of Shooter that Kentucky is looking or Coyle has any interest in it. I think this speculation is completely pulled out of thin air.
Yeah "expected to come up by ... who knows" is pretty distant from ... anything.

Minnesota will never match Kentucky in hoops, but UK football is a blackhole, where finishing third in the SEC East is the gold standard. Plus Men's hockey is a potential third money maker, there aren't a lot of schools with three sports with the potential to be in the black. Also the Big Ten currently has a better TV deal than the SEC. Full fledged Big Ten members came out about 9 mill ahead of SEC members in TV money last year. Maybe he takes the UK job for reasons unknown, but from a financial standpoint Coyle's at a better school right now.
Men's hockey isn't going to make up the basketball revenue shortfall absent a run of national titles. Right now, they can't sell tickets for conference games. Yes, the B1G TV deal is better now, but it will soon be surpassed by the SEC. Lots of reasons to prefer Minnesota to Kentucky, but money in the athletic department isn't one of them. Kentucky has a bigger budget, higher revenues and they even pay their AD more. So what metric are you using to declare Minnesota a better gig "from a financial standpoint."

One of your employees has to approve your hiring?

But maybe the crux here is how good is Shooter's reporting and sources? We have seen a lot of lazy work from Shooter,e specially the last coupla years.

Could Kentucky be tiring of Mark Stoops? I don't think Coyle goes, but if he did, and Gophs have a good season...

What....and give up hockey?

Not to mention that he has a sister who lives in Rochester I believe.

It depends on what source you look at when it comes to revenue. In some Kentucky slight ahead, in others the U of M ahead. Overall, the U budget for athletics is in the top 20-25 consistently.

Men's hockey isn't going to make up the basketball revenue shortfall absent a run of national titles. Right now, they can't sell tickets for conference games. Yes, the B1G TV deal is better now, but it will soon be surpassed by the SEC. Lots of reasons to prefer Minnesota to Kentucky, but money in the athletic department isn't one of them. Kentucky has a bigger budget, higher revenues and they even pay their AD more. So what metric are you using to declare Minnesota a better gig "from a financial standpoint."
And the contract for the B1G is coming up too. So they'll both get more money. And since B1G has less schools to share with, it will make the per school amount greater as well. B1G will continue to be a bigger tv deal than anyone else.

It depends on what source you look at when it comes to revenue. In some Kentucky slight ahead, in others the U of M ahead. Overall, the U budget for athletics is in the top 20-25 consistently.
Here's my source:

College Finances

The U is in the top 20-25 in revenue and budget. Kentucky is in the top 15.
And the contract for the B1G is coming up too. So they'll both get more money. And since B1G has less schools to share with, it will make the per school amount greater as well. B1G will continue to be a bigger tv deal than anyone else.
Yes, the B1G contract will come up and they will certainly try to get more money. Your prediction that the B1G deal will be bigger than the SEC on a per school basis is purely speculation. As it is, even with the larger TV contract rights money coming in now, the U lags Kentucky in revenue significantly.

Mark Coyle gets paid $1M a year at MN (more than Kentucky is paying their current AD) got to choose his own football / basketball coach, and is about as secure in an AD job as he could be.

If he moves to Kentucky then he's going to be at the mercy of his BB coach and on the hot seat every year his team doesn't make the Elite 8.

If he wants to make a move then his coworkers / boss must really suck. Dude can just ride it out into the sunset as long as Fleck keeps Gophers FB competitive. As much as people he complain about him, he hit on his FB coaching hire, the Minnesota athletic department has all the money it needs, and he isn't in the news for harassing female reporters. He's earning an A in terms of athletic director performance.

Last edited:

Mark Coyle gets paid $1M a year at MN (more than Kentucky is paying their current AD) got to choose his own football / basketball coach, and is about as secure in an AD job as he could be.
Source? Info I have seen for 2019-20 shows Coyle's total compensation at just under $900K and Barnhart at UK at $1.225M.
If he moves to Kentucky then he's going to be at the mercy of his BB coach and on the hot seat every year his team doesn't make the Elite 8.
Yes, there is a lot of pressure at UK when it comes to basketball. Certainly more tied to hoops there than any single sport at the U. I think that you may be over-estimating how hard it is to survive there, however. They have had three ADs in the last 30+ years and the one short timer was out due to football violations. (By comparison, the U has had eight over that same time frame, not including interims or the women's ADs when the departments were separate.) Not exactly a high turnover rate at UK for the job, so either the expectations aren't as high as you think or the basketball program has been able to meet them.

If he wants to make a move then his coworkers / boss must really suck. Dude can just ride it out into the sunset as long as Fleck keeps Gophers FB competitive. As much as people he complain about him, he hit on his FB coaching hire, the Minnesota athletic department has all the money it needs, and he isn't in the news for harassing female reporters. He's earning an A in terms of athletic director performance.
Agree that he's doing a pretty good job and that he has a high-level of job security. Disagree that the only reason he might leave is that because he hates the people at the U. In the end, it's a personal choice, but you could certainly make the argument that it's a better job.

Top Bottom