Shooter: Jerry Kill to Kansas State, possible announcement tomorrow

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!
Because the Golden Gopher Athletic Department has too many talented boosters, promoters and fundraisers.

Good job, Kaler. We can't be walking around on a foot that we haven't shot at in the last week or so...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If I am TC I don't want the old coach meddling. Best for both parties to move on.

Because the Golden Gopher Athletic Department has too many talented boosters, promoters and fundraisers.

Good job, Kaler. We can't be walking around on a foot that we haven't shot at in the last week or so...

You do know Kill was offered a job doing those very things and he rejected it because he wanted a greater influence with the football program...right?

Kaler told him no, and made the right decision.

I agree, but the whole thing seems superfluous. From your description, Jerry Kill is the university president of football.

As others have speculated, got to be HC in waiting position...regardless of what Jerry said. I say two years and JK takes over.

You do know Kill was offered a job doing those very things and he rejected it because he wanted a greater influence with the football program...right?

Agree...and I think U was going to pay him more, so...

Yet K-State offered it to him. On the surface this has another "it's a loss" feel to it regardless of how much more difficult it would have been to do here.

Again, facts should never get in the way of a good rant.

Yet K-State offered it to him. On the surface this has another "it's a loss" feel to it regardless of how much more difficult it would have been to do here.

The loss came when Kill announced his retirement from coaching.

As others have speculated, got to be HC in waiting position...regardless of what Jerry said. I say two years and JK takes over.

If Jerry was healthy and had two good to great years leading up to 2018, he might be in line for K State.

If they gave it to him in 2018 after being out of coaching since coaching a mediocre 2015 Minnesota team that he left mid-year due to health reasons, K State fans would rightly go berserk.

Kill was a good coach for Minnesota but he is incredibly overrated by many on here.

If Jerry was healthy and had two good to great years leading up to 2018, he might be in line for K State.

If they gave it to him in 2018 after being out of coaching since coaching a mediocre 2015 Minnesota team that he left mid-year due to health reasons, K State fans would rightly go berserk.

Kill was a good coach for Minnesota but he is incredibly overrated by many on here.

I'm not sure if many of the fans here haven't been around, but Kill had us overachieving our recruit rankings.

He's underrated by many on here.

I continue to be astonished so many would think he'd be a net negative for the program. This has gotten too emotional of an argument. Snyder doesn't know what he's doing. Claeys is a hapless child in Kills presence.

I'm not sure if many of the fans here haven't been around, but Kill had us overachieving our recruit rankings.

I liked Kill as a coach. I wish he were healthy and still our coach. I still maintain that it is insane to think K State is grooming him to be Snyder's replacement.

I agree, and I'm not saying that. OTOH I can see the argument of him falling off the wagon if he does well health-wise the next few years.

Many people don't get their personal health habits, meds, diet figured out for many years. Health scares can wake peopłe up sometimes. Key word is sometimes.

I continue to be astonished so many would think he'd be a net negative for the program. This has gotten too emotional of an argument. Snyder doesn't know what he's doing. Claeys is a hapless child in Kills presence.

I think there would be positives and negatives. In the end I don't think it would make that much of a difference either way.

I think there would be positives and negatives. In the end I don't think it would make that much of a difference either way.

That's where I fall on this as well. Too many acting like it is some massive loss that he is going somewhere else. Could he have potentially been a good hire for the athletic department here, sure. Will the fact that he wasn't hired here hurt the department, doubtful. Does any of it really matter in the grand scheme of things, nope.

It is a shame his coaching career had to end the way it did. Hopefully he is happy and content in his new role, and once this thread dies I will predict we will hear next to nothing about Kill outside of maybe when he is in town for his foundation or whatever.

The man resigned for health reasons and he voluntarily took on a new job at a different employer. End of Chapter. I, for one, am moving on.

The man resigned for health reasons and he voluntarily took on a new job at a different employer. End of Chapter. I, for one, am moving on.

Dan Monson moved on from Gonzaga and his most talented assistant stayed.
Dan Hawkins moved on from Boise and his most talented assistant stayed.

Sometimes the head guy leaving and keeping the most talented guy left behind works out just fine. I'm not too worried. Claeys is the guy now and he sinks or swims on his own. That's whom I support.

Two words: Ron Prince. Kill may be over-rated, but K-State without Bill Snyder is worse than MN and could do a lot worse than a healthy Jerry Kill.

I'd be stunned if he coaches more than a game or two on an interim basis once Snyder quits/has health issue/dies.

I think either Kill is around to help groom the next coach (assuming they have someone on staff they expect to replace Snyder), or Snyder has been getting unreasonable in his demands, and they want a former coach to be the bad guy, since he'll have that coaching perspective. You know, something like, "now Bill, you know you have to fill up your gas tank when you drop your rental car off. When I was at Minnesota, I always..."

:cool: Well done. But, I'm sure at K-State they never commit this egregious error. I mean of course Bob Huggins always stopped off to fill the gas tank. He's a stickler for the rules.

per Sid:

Kill said Wednesday that the most important thing to him was getting to be involved with football again.

“Yeah, I’ll get to go out there and be a part of Saturdays and be a part of the game of football,” he said. “That was important to me. And I think I can be a valuable asset.”

He described what his role will be like.

“My job will be working with the day-to-day operations with football,” Kill said. “[It will] be very similar to what Dan O’Brien did [for the Gophers], except I’ll probably be more involved in a little different process. … I would say that’s the best comparison I can give. I’ll be working with football and the players and coach Snyder and the assistant coaches.”

While some are speculating that Kill was hired to eventually replace Snyder, who will turn 77 in October, Kill said he thinks Snyder can continue coaching for some time.

“He might go forever, he’s like you,” Kill said. “Coach Snyder is an icon in this game, just recently got named to the Hall of Fame. He’s in great shape. Nobody knows the answer to that question but him. You don’t get in the Hall of Fame unless you have done something.

“I get the privilege to work with a great AD, work at a great university, and I get to work with an icon and a Hall of Famer in college football. It doesn’t get much better than that. Then I get to go home and my mom is only two hours away.”

http://www.startribune.com/donald-trump-could-have-been-twins-owner/380050681/

Go Gophers!!

Kill will be back coaching in two years. His excuse will be. "Well, my health has been good for two years. My medication is regulated and I'm eating and sleeping regularly" The guy can't stay off the field. Wish him well,but glad he is not involved with a position at the U.

Agree. Perfect situation for Jerry to be close to the game but be able to have a couple years of stable health. Three years out of coaching after 25 years is a speed bump, non-event. If he wants to coach again, he will get the opportunity, at K St or elsewhere.

Someone ought to tell Snyder he brings no value /ducks/

I don't think anyone (with sense) is saying that. Some are saying he may have been problematic at Minnesota. I don't know.

I see it as a very good hire by K State. Note that in the interview with Sid, Kill sees the job very much as an assistant coach. Nowhere does he talk about being a liaison to the president. It is all about coaching (without calling it that)

It is a very good hire for K State. For $150 000, they get an additional high level football mind. I suspect Jerry is worth 150K that for his recruiting skills/ talent evaluation alone.

Pretty sure he could have had the same job for more salary at Minnesota if Jerry and Claeys wanted it.

Dan Monson moved on from Gonzaga and his most talented assistant stayed.
Dan Hawkins moved on from Boise and his most talented assistant stayed.

Sometimes the head guy leaving and keeping the most talented guy left behind works out just fine. I'm not too worried. Claeys is the guy now and he sinks or swims on his own. That's whom I support.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

If Jerry was still around likely so would Limegrover. I'm not sure we'd be happy about that aspect.

I liked Kill as a coach. I wish he were healthy and still our coach. I still maintain that it is insane to think K State is grooming him to be Snyder's replacement.

Fail to see why you think that is far-fetched.

Fail to see why you think that is far

K State would be hiring a coach with limited success (remember this is a stronger program than Minnesota) who had numerous health issues that forced him to retire 2.5 years prior. Seems like a no-brainer to me that Kill would not be a candidate but I have been wrong before.

Until Snyder retires, we will have to agree to disagree.

Fail to see why you think that is far

K State would be hiring a coach with limited success (remember this is a stronger program than Minnesota) who had numerous health issues that forced him to retire 2.5 years prior. Seems like a no-brainer to me that Kill would not be a candidate but I have been wrong before.

Until Snyder retires, we will have to agree to disagree.

With Snyder it is a strong program...not without. History shows they need the right kind of coach otherwise they are a pretty bad team. There's enough examples of coaches quitting or stepping down for health reasons and coming back for this to be entirely possible.

I still fail to see what value Kill brings to KSU and why he is needed. So he gets paid to hang around the football program and be buddies with everyone? Why do they need that? Could he just be an assistant volunteer, like a grad assistant but only not getting credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom