Shooter: It should be impossible for the Gophers (0-2) to lose next Saturday at Illinois

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

It should be impossible for the Gophers (0-2) to lose next Saturday at Illinois, which will be without its starting QB and top receiver due to COVID-19.

Go Gophers!!

Maryland just ran for over 10 yards a carry with a RB who wouldn't start for most Big Ten teams. Why does it matter if Illinois is missing QB or WR?

This defensive bear market has further to drop before the eventual mean reversion. It historically comes from beating someone like Iowa or Wisconsin out of nowhere just when we've all given up.

Kiss of death

I thought Illinois looked okay when I watched them. I wonder if shooter even watched a snap

Illinois only lost by a TD to the team that is technically at the top of the West right now. Yeah it was a home game and yes it was their top rival. But they sure as heck didn't crap the bed like they did against Wisc. So they clearly still have athletes and put a competitive team on the field.

Not at all a sure thing. They will score points against our D. Will simply be a question of if we can outscore them. Need to let our passing game "go for it" the rest of the reason, obviously still with healthy doses of Mo. No more playing to not lose. Offense has to win every game the rest of the year.

And yes, it would figure if this ends up being the one game that gets no contested due to covid, for us.

Found this note in the Champaign, Illinois newspaper - on the Illinois pass defense:

Smith had less to like about his secondary. Purdue quarterback Aidan O’Connell completed 29 of 35 passes for 376 yards and two touchdowns. That performance came eight days after Wisconsin quarterback Graham Mertz completed 20 of 21 passes for 248 yards and five touchdowns.

All told, opposing quarterbacks are completing 87.5 percent of their passes against the Illini.

If there is any time to air it out, this is the time. Morgan should be looking for Bateman and CAB downfield.

If the Gophers come out and run Mo 30+ times again, that will tell us that the coaches do not trust this version of the OL to pass block.

I may be dead wrong, but that is what my gut tells me about the lack of passing. I don't believe the coaches have lost confidence in Morgan or Bateman. that leaves the OL.

I suspect the Gopher coaches have made a deliberation that they are better off running the ball as opposed to having Morgan drop back 30 times a game because they are worried about sacks and forced throws leading to turnovers.

"Impossible" to lose this game?

What the hell; don't tell me Shooter is stealing from Barriero's grab bag of tired, old schtick.

Found this note in the Champaign, Illinois newspaper - on the Illinois pass defense:

Smith had less to like about his secondary. Purdue quarterback Aidan O’Connell completed 29 of 35 passes for 376 yards and two touchdowns. That performance came eight days after Wisconsin quarterback Graham Mertz completed 20 of 21 passes for 248 yards and five touchdowns.

All told, opposing quarterbacks are completing 87.5 percent of their passes against the Illini.

If there is any time to air it out, this is the time. Morgan should be looking for Bateman and CAB downfield.

If the Gophers come out and run Mo 30+ times again, that will tell us that the coaches do not trust this version of the OL to pass block.

I may be dead wrong, but that is what my gut tells me about the lack of passing. I don't believe the coaches have lost confidence in Morgan or Bateman. that leaves the OL.

I suspect the Gopher coaches have made a deliberation that they are better off running the ball as opposed to having Morgan drop back 30 times a game because they are worried about sacks and forced throws leading to turnovers.
Bolded would just be insane. Morgan can take a hit. He's not made of glass. We have to try to win games.

The RPO is not meant to be a Wisconsin style 3yards and a cloud of dust offense.

"The RPO is not meant to be a Wisconsin style 3yards and a cloud of dust offense."

That's true. But to be fair, here are two points in reply:

1) Wisconsin's "3 yards and a cloud of dust" has been pretty successful for them.

2) Our run game was extremely effective — 262 yards, 5.24 yds/carry, 5 TDs. Mo and the run, along with some key throws, got us back in the game, to be honest.

A loss is actually very possible ... Refer to the YPG allowed thread.

Last edited:

per Shooter:

It should be impossible for the Gophers (0-2) to lose next Saturday at Illinois, which will be without its starting QB and top receiver due to COVID-19.

Go Gophers!!
It should be impossible for the Gophers (0-2) to lose next Saturday at Illinois,
"hold my diet coke" -PJ Fleck

"The RPO is not meant to be a Wisconsin style 3yards and a cloud of dust offense."

That's true. But to be fair, here are two points in reply:

1) Wisconsin's "3 yards and a cloud of dust" has been pretty successful for them.

2) Our run game was extremely effective — 262 yards, 5.24 yds/carry, 5 TDs. Mo and the run, along with some key throws, got us back in the game, to be honest.
Along with some key throws, being the key phrase. Not "run on every play into a stacked box".

RPO is "Run Pass Option".

You understand this, of course.

(and for what little it's worth, I love Wisconsin's (exactly the same as NDSU's, actually) offensive style)

Tanner has to run a few times per game, when there are open lanes, to keep defenses honest. We've got a lot of QB talent behind him. It's OK to let him play the game.

As we all know on any given day, anything can happen. Shooter is off the wall again trying to stir up some trouble.

Along with some key throws, being the key phrase. Not "run on every play into a stacked box".

RPO is "Run Pass Option".

You understand this, of course.

(and for what little it's worth, I love Wisconsin's (exactly the same as NDSU's, actually) offensive style)

As you pointed out, they made some key throws — therefore by definition they did not "run every play into a stacked box".

Would I liked to have seen a few more throws down the stretch? Yes. I'm with you on that.

What would have been even better — and more important — is a stronger showing by the defense.

I'll say it one last time: the play selection on offense was not the reason we lost. Inept defense was what killed us. That seems obvious to me.

Kiss of death

I thought Illinois looked okay when I watched them. I wonder if shooter even watched a snap

Come on man....we are talking about Shooter....can pretty much guarantee he didn't watch a snap. Dude is a straight up moron. He wants to be Sid but he wouldn't even be skilled enough to hold Sid's tape recorder.

As you pointed out, they made some key throws — therefore by definition they did not "run every play into a stacked box".

Would I liked to have seen a few more throws down the stretch? Yes. I'm with you on that.

What would have been even better — and more important — is a stronger showing by the defense.

I'll say it one last time: the play selection on offense was not the reason we lost. Inept defense was what killed us. That seems obvious to me.
Seems like an odd hill to die on that our offenses play calling with a 17pt lead in fourth didn't lead to the loss. One more score or three more minutes off the clock probably doesn't allow our inept defense to kill us.

Seems like an odd hill to die on that our offenses play calling with a 17pt lead in fourth didn't lead to the loss. One more score or three more minutes off the clock probably doesn't allow our inept defense to kill us.

Yeah, I think people like Murray take questioning the offense at all as trying to pin the loss on them. The reality is the offense didn't lose the game for us, the problem is they also didn't go out and win it for us in the 4th quarter when we desperately needed them to sustain a drive and make some plays.

38 points in regulation should be enough to beat most teams, but you can't rest on a lead when you have a defense that is really really struggling to stop anything right now. The D deserves most of the blame for what happened on Friday night just a shame the offense wasn't able to go out and make a few more plays to seal the deal.

Gophers are opening as 9 pt favorites. LOL!!!!

If we lose... We are the worst team in the B10. With the Offense we have, how can that even be? This is a coaching issue.

Odd, you say?

It seems odd to me to fixate on offensive play calling in a game when we gave up 675 yards, but that's just me.

And I'm not sure what you mean by 'dying on a hill'; I said clearly that I, too, would have liked to have seen a few more passes.

Yeah, I think people like Murray take questioning the offense at all as trying to pin the loss on them. The reality is the offense didn't lose the game for us, the problem is they also didn't go out and win it for us in the 4th quarter when we desperately needed them to sustain a drive and make some plays.

38 points in regulation should be enough to beat most teams, but you can't rest on a lead when you have a defense that is really really struggling to stop anything right now. The D deserves most of the blame for what happened on Friday night just a shame the offense wasn't able to go out and make a few more plays to seal the deal.

No, what 'people like Murray' are saying is that our offense, even run just as it was, was plenty good enough to "win the game for us" — though it was far from perfect. All that was required was the hint of a tiny smidgen of defense.

In contrast, the defense was not good enough to win any game, anywhere, in any league. It was putrid.

No, what 'people like Murray' are saying is that our offense, even run just as it was, was plenty good enough to "win the game for us" — though it was far from perfect. All that was required was the hint of a tiny smidgen of defense.

In contrast, the defense was not good enough to win any game, anywhere, in any league. It was putrid.
The defense was good enough to win a game in some league somewhere.
The team was 3 yards away from a win had they gone for two.

Top Bottom