Shooter: Fleck, speaking at a Dunkers gathering in Minneapolis last week, said he got an 18 score on his ACT college entrance exam.

More a function of your family’s ability to pay for prep classes, than anything.
Never paid a cent for a prep class and my publik skewl education allowed me to almost double PJ's score. He makes a lot more than double my dough, though.

The last time I checked the mean score on the ACT was a little over 22 and the standard deviation was 6 meaning 68% of test takers score between 16 and 28. If that was the case back when PJ was testing, his score would be considered statistically average. BTW, the ACT is an achievement test that attempts to measure what's been learned in HS -- it's not an intelligence test in any form. Many colleges use it as an aptitude test to predict first year GPA, and it's historically been a decent predictor of such with medium correlations. That said, colleges have increasingly built robust prediction models using other data points...so much so that standardized tests are now optional for admissions.

The more you know...

I don't think this is something I would be bragging about in public. Your basically telling everyone that you are a knuckle head. Maybe he has a learning disability.
I think its actually for his players. Look guys, I'm not the smartest guy and look what I have achieved, follow me and imagine what you can achieve...

I think its actually for his players. Look guys, I'm not the smartest guy and look what I have achieved, follow me and imagine what you can achieve...
Just what I want in my coach, I guy scoring lower then the dumbest guy on the HS football team.

I got an 18 and got in and graduated from the U. Has never hindered my goals.

I have a hard time believing he got an 18. He’s smarter than me and I got a 26 while hungover on my first attempt.

The ACT is a load of BS that just measures logic problem skills and speed reading mostly. I got a 34 because I'm naturally gifted at that stuff but I really struggled in school, I think I had below a 3.0 GPA in HS. Didn't get accepted at the U.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if he got an 18, different people are skilled at different things.

This video from 2019, the last real year we had shows the greatness of PJF

Holy crap, who can match this outside the Cali schools.

I got an 18 and got in and graduated from the U. Has never hindered my goals.
Would be hard to get in to the U these days with an 18. Although they've waived the ACT requirement the last 2 years. Last I checked, average ACT score for the College of Science and Engineering (I'm an IT grad) was a 31. Crazy.

I didn't even take it. My high school counselor told me in these exact words "Fredcoxrocks (not my real name at the time), you're not college material."

I'm not speaking for you personally but more HS counselors need to say this.

Why? Getting a college degree is one of the most guaranteed ways increase income and quality of life.

Not knocking the trades route, at all. That can be a very good route, as well.

He was right and I didn't take too much offense. I remember taking the PSAT test. It was a horrible experience and I was filled with anxiety. After watching most of my classmates turn their tests in one-by-one I just said "F it" and started writing anything down and even skipped part of it. It was a true reflection of my academic abilities and effort. I was not a good student.
But I could throw one hell of a keg party!

What is intelligence, then? I think that's a very difficult question, with many different answers depending on the situation and context.

(To your point, a test is just a test)
I'd say something along the lines of: problem solving without having the answers memorized in advance. The thing I don't like about most tests is that preparation and some luck count for more than they should. If you're doing the verbal part and you get a question like "love is to tennis as _____ is to golf" or something, but you have no idea what "love" means in tennis, then you can only guess what the answer is, but if the person next to you grew up golfing and playing tennis, that person will get it correct, regardless of their intelligence.

For me, I remember a particular class I had and me and a bunch of friends were studying right before the final. We were getting up and getting ready to go take it and someone asked a random question, and so we looked up the answer. I was wrong about the answer. Lo and behold, that exact question was on the final exam and of course, I got it correct, and those 5 points were the difference between an A- and a B+. If she doesn't pose the question, I get it wrong and get the B+. That's what's wrong with tests.

Whew, that was long-winded lol.

I find it interesting that the ACT topic goes a lot like analyzing how the team will do each year. In reality everyone would love to score a 36, but most score average. There are a group of people rationalizing why doing well on a national test does not matter, it is usually the people that do not have the ability to do well. Then there are honest people that just accept their score and really do not care how they do. Philosophy 101 on the Goper hole. I think therefor I am.

I find it interesting that the ACT topic goes a lot like analyzing how the team will do each year. In reality everyone would love to score a 36, but most score average. There are a group of people rationalizing why doing well on a national test does not matter, it is usually the people that do not have the ability to do well. Then there are honest people that just accept their score and really do not care how they do. Philosophy 101 on the Goper hole. I think therefor I am.
I got a 34 on the ACT and think standardized tests are inherently flawed....

Never paid a cent for a prep class and my publik skewl education allowed me to almost double PJ's score. He makes a lot more than double my dough, though.
Mine sure didn't. I went to a Minneapolis public school and I was woefully unprepared for college, and I was top 4 in my senior class.

A sophomore from a private school like De La Salle would have been more prepared than I was after graduating.

I'd say something along the lines of: problem solving without having the answers memorized in advance.
Inference. Sure, that is important.

But just one of the many intellectual skill types that humans can posses. Creativity being another. Etc.

Top Bottom