Shooter: Fleck, speaking at a Dunkers gathering in Minneapolis last week, said he got an 18 score on his ACT college entrance exam.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck, speaking at a Dunkers gathering in Minneapolis last week, said he got an 18 score (average is 20) on his ACT college entrance exam. He also said 106 of his 120 players have a 3.0 (B) grade-point average and that the team’s overall GPA is 3.4.

Go Gophers!!

Those numbers don't quite make sense unless more than the 120 players are counted in the team GPA...if the remaining 14 had a 4.0, that doesn't make it to the 3.4 average...Maybe he meant 106 have at least a 3.0 and there are 14 under 3.0, which would give more room to hit that 3.4 average.

Those numbers don't quite make sense unless more than the 120 players are counted in the team GPA...if the remaining 14 had a 4.0, that doesn't make it to the 3.4 average...Maybe he meant 106 have at least a 3.0 and there are 14 under 3.0, which would give more room to hit that 3.4 average.
The U doesn't grade on a simple 4 point scale, they give fractional points for +/- letter grades (like B-, B, B+, A-, A), so what you say here makes sense to me.

I doubt that many have exactly a 3.0. That would be weird/unlikely. So must have meant at least a 3.0.

Regarding the title to this post. He has been saying that forever. Maybe he didn't study. Maybe he just says it to be more relatable. Think at this point in his life, doesn't really matter anymore.

18 is plenty enough to get into Northern Illinois.

I don't remember what I got on the ACT but it must of been average as I was able to get into the U and not have to start off in, what was called back then, General College. Probably should have though as I can relate to Blutarsky.

I heard from friends who went to HS in Duluth that Rick Rickert's ACT was like a 12.
Declared early for the draft because he believed he was a NBA first-rounder. The NBA, however, did not.

I checked his wikipedia page and found a link to an article about how KG punched him in the face during a pickup game:

Motivation counts alot more than brains.

Grades are 95% motivation also. If you show up, try and aren't an idiot then a 3.5 is easy.

Does anyone have a 8-ball of motivation to sell me?
🥴🥴🥴🥴
Having done undergraduate education twice...having too much fun the first time...and setting the curve the second time...my experience suggests that putting in the work pays off in GPA (even as an "older" student).

Then of course there was the guy with a photographic memory the second time. All of it was easy for him and I worked my ass off for every 0.1 pts. We both had the same senior project to conduct for a particularly challenging class. His final grade was 100++. Mine was 100+++. Bragging rights secured.

I don't remember what I got on the ACT but it must of been average as I was able to get into the U and not have to start off in, what was called back then, General College. Probably should have though as I can relate to Blutarsky.

Appleby High? Without it, we would've lost out on a lot of athletes.

GC was for morons, athletes, and smart kids in college who weren't motivated in high school.

I heard it was shut down. Can they still get those 12 ACT athletes in without it?

1Jr72GL.gif

*have.

...must HAVE been average...

I've heard PJ recount his ACT score probably a dozen times. I gotta say: I don't believe that. PJ is manifestly more intelligent than that. I take it as one component (among several) of his self-constructed underdog persona.

BTW - I think PJ is the real deal, and that, acronyms and slogans aside, his message contains authentic basic truths.

I've heard PJ recount his ACT score probably a dozen times. I gotta say: I don't believe that. PJ is manifestly more intelligent than that. I take it as one component (among several) of his self-constructed underdog persona.

BTW - I think PJ is the real deal, and that, acronyms and slogans aside, his message contains authentic basic truths.
He's definitely intelligent, but not in that Sean Mcvay/Lincoln Riley/Kliff Kingsbury boy wonder super genius way. Who knows if he actually got an 18 but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't score all that well. Probably hard for him to sit and focus for 3+ hours like that.

Most standardized tests aren't actually good at determining intelligence, rather how good you are at taking tests.

I knew plenty of people I considered more intelligent than me and who got better grades who got lower ACT scores than I did.

Most standardized tests aren't actually good at determining intelligence, rather how good you are at taking tests.

I knew plenty of people I considered more intelligent than me and who got better grades who got lower ACT scores than I did.
What is intelligence, then? I think that's a very difficult question, with many different answers depending on the situation and context.

(To your point, a test is just a test)

I didn't even take it. My high school counselor told me in these exact words "Fredcoxrocks (not my real name at the time), you're not college material."

They don't all have exactly a 3.0. I am guessing at least a 3.0. Would be shocking if Shooter misquoted

People that help change the world, think tech entrepreneurs, scientists and so on (think Elon or Bezos in modern times) tend to be pretty book smart as well as driven. Steve Jobs tested at a tenth grade level in fourth grade, for example. These folks don’t have to try that hard to soak up and retain information. College and advanced formal education is superfluous in some ways. Many examples. OTOH IIRC Einstein was labeled a poor student in grade school…

For most rank and file students, standardized tests reveal something, maybe and ability to assimilate information, focus, and dedicate to studies. Some people will find the tests easy without any prep time whatsoever while others require expensive tutors to prepare and many hours of prep - and end up with the same score. It’s not worthless though, I’d argue, even if numerous very successful businessmen, entertainers, communicators, sales people are probably much higher on the interpersonal communications scale and much lower on the SAT scale. See PJF.

per Shooter:

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck, speaking at a Dunkers gathering in Minneapolis last week, said he got an 18 score (average is 20) on his ACT college entrance exam. He also said 106 of his 120 players have a 3.0 (B) grade-point average and that the team’s overall GPA is 3.4.

Go Gophers!!
I don't think this is something I would be bragging about in public. Your basically telling everyone that you are a knuckle head. Maybe he has a learning disability.

People that help change the world, think tech entrepreneurs, scientists and so on (think Elon or Bezos in modern times) tend to be pretty book smart as well as driven. Steve Jobs tested at a tenth grade level in fourth grade, for example. These folks don’t have to try that hard to soak up and retain information. College and advanced formal education is superfluous in some ways. Many examples. OTOH IIRC Einstein was labeled a poor student in grade school…

For most rank and file students, standardized tests reveal something, maybe and ability to assimilate information, focus, and dedicate to studies. Some people will find the tests easy without any prep time whatsoever while others require expensive tutors to prepare and many hours of prep - and end up with the same score. It’s not worthless though, I’d argue, even if numerous very successful businessmen, entertainers, communicators, sales people are probably much higher on the interpersonal communications scale and much lower on the SAT scale. See PJF.
Certainly not worthless, but also probably given a bit to much importance IMO. Universities have started to be more lenient with entrance exams because of cases like PJ, someone who doesn't test well, but will work hard and learn. Not to mention there is some amount of it that is related to how well your local school was at teaching. A student with the same natural intelligence and work ethic could easily get different scores by going to a different school, maybe even if they were taught by a different set of teachers at the same school.

There's so much to college and the workplace that is just impossible to capture in a single, 6 hour written test.

That is all to say, I'm not a fan of standardized testing. I just don't think it accurately captures one's learned knowledge, nor one's ability to learn.

Certainly not worthless, but also probably given a bit to much importance IMO. Universities have started to be more lenient with entrance exams because of cases like PJ, someone who doesn't test well, but will work hard and learn. Not to mention there is some amount of it that is related to how well your local school was at teaching. A student with the same natural intelligence and work ethic could easily get different scores by going to a different school, maybe even if they were taught by a different set of teachers at the same school.

There's so much to college and the workplace that is just impossible to capture in a single, 6 hour written test.

That is all to say, I'm not a fan of standardized testing. I just don't think it accurately captures one's learned knowledge, nor one's ability to learn.
More a function of your family’s ability to pay for prep classes, than anything.

That is the whole purpose of an entrance exam, to evaluate your level of preparation and your innate intelligence. They should start recruiting players not based on their size, or 40 times, but how hard they work.

I’d argue it’s an important piece of the puzzle although cannot be taken in isolation. Listen to PJF and you realize where his elite skill set is in 30 seconds. Can’t teach that. Everybody is good at something. Some are great.

Top Bottom