Shooter: Darrell Thompson said Race Thompson's recruiting visit to Minnesota was “kind of lukewarm.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Race Thompson, the 6-8, 225-pound son of former Gophers football star Darrell Thompson, is averaging 10.5 points for Indiana. That includes a 22-point, 13-rebound early-season victory over Providence.

Thompson was heavily recruited out of Armstrong High School, including by the Gophers.

“It really just came down to it was the right fit for him,” his father said. “He wanted to go to a place where basketball was a priority, and there’s only a handful of places where basketball’s the No. 1 priority. He had a really good visit, liked the teammates and players, and decided that’s where he wanted to go.

“I thought it was right for him to go where he wanted to go, and he did that.”

Darrell said Race’s recruiting visit to Minnesota was “kind of lukewarm.”

“Race” is a distinctive first name.

“I don’t remember exactly where we found the name, but it was just something that was unique. We liked it, and felt like it just fit him,” Darrell said. “We felt the name was a spirited character.”

The Gophers are scheduled to play Indiana just once this season, Feb. 17 in Bloomington, Ind.

Go Gophers!!

Johnny Quest????

Darrell and the Mrs. are cartoon nerds?? - cool.

Would be nice to have him of course, but he ended up where he was supposed to go.

He's been solid this year for Indiana but that team chronically disappoints.

Recruiting would be a nightmare. Some 5 Star 18 year old kid tells you he’s leaning your way. You meet the just okay local guy. You’d like to keep him in the loop as a backup but there are also three other guys you are pretty sure you can get one of and prefer to land one of them. Definition: Lukewarm visit.

Recruiting would be a nightmare. Some 5 Star 18 year old kid tells you he’s leaning your way. You meet the just okay local guy. You’d like to keep him in the loop as a backup but there are also three other guys you are pretty sure you can get one of and prefer to land one of them. Definition: Lukewarm visit.
To me it sounded more like he didn’t like how Minnesota was part of an athletics department

at Indiana the athletics department is part of the basketball program

he found out Indiana basketball stars can open a restaurant after graduation and be set for life

he found out Indiana basketball stars can open a restaurant after graduation and be set for life

The Hump opened quite a few restaurants post-basketball AND he married a Kardashian.

Go Gophers!!

So your son's recruitment isnt as intense as u would like by the local school. 2 1/2 years later you remind people of this through the press. Not impressed.

Race is starting as a junior and doing just fine at Indiana. Leave it at that.

So your son's recruitment isnt as intense as u would like by the local school. 2 1/2 years later you remind people of this through the press. Not impressed.

And it is your own alma ! Of course shooter could have screwed up the entire conversation.

I was just saying it's gotta be tough to juggle recruits. There are program changers you think you have a chance at BUT if you soft pedal the lesser guys and then they go elsewhere ... you may be left scrambling when the big dog also says no. I think it'd be tricky all the way up...Duke, Kentucky whomever...you only got 1, 2 or 3 scholarships most years. (Well, it used to be like that before transfer city) There's a Holmgren and a Suggs every year you need one for, just in case.

And back to Race...it is entirely possible Race was the one lukewarm on the Gophers going in and
didn't get blown away to change his thoughts on the visit. Meh, lukewarm.

And Charlie may be hallucinating all through today's column.

Maybe it means no bag

The Hump opened quite a few restaurants post-basketball AND he married a Kardashian.

Go Gophers!!
If I recall, Hump's restaurants have the Five Guys flag on them, not his name. I may have had a burger at one without knowing it. A little different having Five Guys franchises versus Race's Minnesota Lutefisk in Bloomington or Indy.

Are we supposed to sell marrying a Kardashian as a recruiting tool?;)

100 percent.

I believe the Kardashian marriage was very short lived.
Darell Thompson had magical hamstrings when he played for Green Bay.
Every summer they were fine and then after the first or second league game- Poof, they were kaput.
He was able to scheme the Packers for years and retired a very well to do ex FB player with his brain and body intact.
I read some Packer fans called him MN's revenge on the Packers.

Top Bottom