Shooter: At this juncture, it looks like Gophers 6-6 junior guard Both Gach is more advanced than was 6-7 Amir Coffey.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

At this juncture, it looks like Gophers 6-6 junior guard Both Gach is more advanced than was 6-7 Amir Coffey, who left the Gophers after his junior season to sign with the L.A. Clippers. Goch, from Austin, Minn., is more aggressive to the basket and a better shooter.

Go Gophers!!

Evidently, at some point Shooter wrote something Richard expressed his opinion about not agreeing with. Shooter took offense and now, is just making stuff up. What the heck has he been watching?
Gach can be amazing and one can see flashes but he is much better than he has played the last three games. Coffey had far more impact and a bunch of very aggressive attacking half court offensive dunks.

This might be the stupidest thing Shooter has ever said (yikes).

I love Gach, he's a good player with loads of potential. But you could legitimately argue the Amir was better as a freshman, while starting on a very good team, than Both is right now as a junior.

Shooter remains the most garbage “sports person” in this market and we have Doogie, Ruesse and Souhan so that is saying something.

Man this is bad, lol i like Gach but Amir was far superior in pretty much every part of the game.

Ridiculous. Like saying lutefisk is bad or ice fishing is fun or Badgers style of play is fun to watch or a short game isnt important or lebron is better than michael. Totally nonsensical. Hard to imagine a more ill-informed statement.

Last edited:

Ridiculous. Like saying lutefisk is bad or ice fishing is fun or Badgers style of play is fun to watch. Totally nonsensical. Hard to imagine a more ill-informed statement.
Actually, most coaches love watching UW. I do as i really enjoy defense, discipline and some of the most efficient offenses in history. PPP is so critical. Love block outs. No doubt lots of fans do not enjoy it, Damn, almost forgot, winning basketball. I remember their fans hating that style of play when they could not build a winner. Now they give standing ovations for causing shot clock violations, team offense and hanging banners. To each their own. Some fans hate Tom Brady, some would rather watch Cousins.Some like the Bee Gees, some like Led Zeppelin .

Blocking out for rebounds is such an undervalued skill to the novice basketball fan. No dazzle. No showboating. Just straightforward work!

The Gophers should partake a little more in this.

I do prefer Gach as a player and his style of play more, and he is the farrrrr superior ball handler, but I must admit that Amir is pretty much better in every other facet of the game.

I do prefer Gach as a player and his style of play more, and he is the farrrrr superior ball handler, but I must admit that Amir is pretty much better in every other facet of the game.
Until I see Gach play hero ball and go through 3 NBA caliber Maryland players for 30 points singlehandedly, I'll go with Amir as a better ballhandler.

Evidently, at some point Shooter wrote something Richard expressed his opinion about not agreeing with. Shooter took offense and now, is just making stuff up. What the heck has he been watching?
Gach can be amazing and one can see flashes but he is much better than he has played the last three games. Coffey had far more impact and a bunch of very aggressive attacking half court offensive dunks.

I mean, 1st world problems...but come to think of it, not a whole lot of dunking on this current Gopher squad other than a few by Robbins that I can remember.

Both is not a far superior ball handler. I like both also but that is just not true. Amir's turnover % is way lower than Gach's for one example. Amir also played 35 minutes at PG his junior year. Gach sees no where near that or handles the ball as much as amir did his junior year.

This is not a good take by Shooter. Really like Gach and think he is going to be a huge part of the equation whether we succeed or fail this year, but Amir was All Big Ten.

He is in the NBA. Was a great scorer and more athletic. Gach is a nice player, but he is not on the level of Amir Coffee or he wouldn't have had to settle for Utah.

This is not a good take by Shooter. Really like Gach and think he is going to be a huge part of the equation whether we succeed or fail this year, but Amir was All Big Ten.

He is in the NBA. Was a great scorer and more athletic. Gach is a nice player, but he is not on the level of Amir Coffee or he wouldn't have had to settle for Utah.
Gach is like a wild stallion: hard to harness and inconsistent. Gach, I feel is way more athletic than Amir. However, Amir was much more calculated and knew the game better. Also, amir could take over a game.

Gach still has ridiculous potential though and a higher ceiling though and is a better shooter from deep than Amir.

Gach is like a wild stallion: hard to harness and inconsistent. Gach, I feel is way more athletic than Amir. However, Amir was much more calculated and knew the game better. Also, amir could take over a game.

Gach still has ridiculous potential though and a higher ceiling though and is a better shooter from deep than Amir.

Like I said. If this were true, he would have had offers from high level power 5s.
He also would have signed on to play at a large power this season. Amir could have gone to any school in the nation.

What are their career 3point % ? Seems about even.

Like I said. If this were true, he would have had offers from high level power 5s.
He also would have signed on to play at a large power this season. Amir could have gone to any school in the nation.
Amir could not have gone to any school. Several schools liked players they landed and would not have offered Amir no matter what. However, your point on his offers dwarf Gach as the evals all supported Coffee.

Actually, most coaches love watching UW. I do as i really enjoy defense, discipline and some of the most efficient offenses in history. PPP is so critical. Love block outs. No doubt lots of fans do not enjoy it, Damn, almost forgot, winning basketball. I remember their fans hating that style of play when they could not build a winner. Now they give standing ovations for causing shot clock violations, team offense and hanging banners. To each their own. Some fans hate Tom Brady, some would rather watch Cousins.Some like the Bee Gees, some like Led Zeppelin .
Was there actually a poll of college coaches on this question? How many is "most coaches"? Do you have a percentage?

Was there actually a poll of college coaches on this question? How many is "most coaches"? Do you have a percentage?
Have not met or heard one yet that did not enjoy it. They have been talking about it at clinics for 25 years.Coaches love great picks, low turnovers, quality shots and great defense.

Amir could not have gone to any school. Several schools liked players they landed and would not have offered Amir no matter what. However, your point on his offers dwarf Gach as the evals all supported Coffee.
Amir is a better player. However, I'm just stating that Gach is more athletic but super inconsistent. If we could make him more consistent, I feel like he would be similar to Amir.

Remember, Amir went to a powerhouse HS in MN, played on a well known AAU then transitioned to a P5 school.

Both came from Austin MN, has scholastic issues and couldnt get in anywhere, went to prep in AZ, then got a schollie to Utah where he played well but was on the west coast.

Of course Amir is better but Gachs potential is still not even close to tapped yet I feel

Amir is a better player. However, I'm just stating that Gach is more athletic but super inconsistent. If we could make him more consistent, I feel like he would be similar to Amir.

Remember, Amir went to a powerhouse HS in MN, played on a well known AAU then transitioned to a P5 school.

Both came from Austin MN, has scholastic issues and couldnt get in anywhere, went to prep in AZ, then got a schollie to Utah where he played well but was on the west coast.

Of course Amir is better but Gachs potential is still not even close to tapped yet I feel
All true except his efficiency metrics at Utah were not very good. Still, he has time to get better, has a chance to be on far more successful teams than Amir. The hardest part is his court IQ is below that of Amir and that has a great deal to do with where they came from. He is a very important part of this team.

Coffey playing off the ball with a good primary ball handler who could also shoot would be able to get the rim at will. Which is why he is in the NBA. Elite slasher role player potential. He at times looked disappointing because he was trying to play a position that his skill set isn’t perfect for (primary ball handler)

per Shooter:

At this juncture, it looks like Gophers 6-6 junior guard Both Gach is more advanced than was 6-7 Amir Coffey, who left the Gophers after his junior season to sign with the L.A. Clippers. Goch, from Austin, Minn., is more aggressive to the basket and a better shooter.

Go Gophers!!
I couldn’t resist.

The random keyboard monkeys didn't write the complete works of Shakespeare, but they did evidently pound out a sports column.

Until I see Gach play hero ball and go through 3 NBA caliber Maryland players for 30 points singlehandedly, I'll go with Amir as a better ballhandler.
I am still waiting.

Haha I had to look through all the posts to make sure I didn't write something stupid like "Both is SOOOOOO much better"

I'm safe of stupidity...at least in this thread.

Top Bottom