Shooter: Adam Weber wants to be part of the hiring process

I find this very interesting and disappointing about Mr. Weber. It makes me question his leadership skills especially the last paragraph. I'll leave it at that.

I agree with everyone else when I think you read too much into that paragraph.

Also, you didn't leave it at that.:)

Why not?

Adam Weber has gained a wealth of experience dealing with a variety of coaches during his five year career. Why not use that? A player's perspective is something that Maturi, the President and Mona don't have. Maturi has to get this one right and he would be foolish not to use the available resources.

Serious? How come I get the feeling that if most of the people who post on Gopherhole were to be placed in a room you'd have an event that would resemble a Star Trek Convention. Weber is one of the Three Stooges in this nightmare that is going to end soon (Along with Brewster and Cosgrove. You'd also be able to throw in Maturi as Shemp) Can we please look forward to gutting this thing and moving on. No more Weber is the greatest threads, or Theret was a heck of a competitor Thread, or Sam Maresh is getting his *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#e together and will wave the flag again thread. At the conclusion of the Iowa thread hoist your glasses and toast to never having to deal with these clowns again.

How come I get the feeling that if most of the people who post on Gopherhole were to be placed in a room you'd have an event that would resemble a Star Trek Convention.

I take offense to that. I am purely a sports nerd.

This kid thinks he must have the requisite experience to address questions related to head coaching. Very cocky and misguided. Earth to Adam: get some experience.

I assumed most people were the overweight still having keggers in their garage thinking they can play better then the players they are watching crowd because they played a bit of high school football.

There have only been a handful at most that have commented on any post that I've made that shows my nerdy side.

It shows how he really felt about the previous coach, how he didn't respect him because he didn't have a prove track record. If that is how Adam felt he should have transferred not been the "leader" of the team and captain for 3 years. To me his comments read as though he thinks he wasn't part of the problem of Gopher football the past four years and above criticism.

You need to get your comprehension fixed, ASAP.

This kid thinks he must have the requisite experience to address questions related to head coaching. Very cocky and misguided. Earth to Adam: get some experience.

Uh. Maybe because he was ASKED thos questions? BTW, I never saw anything in that article that he said he wanted to be a part of the hiring process. That title is EXTREMELY misleading.

WTF?!? Yeah, letting players pick out the next coach always works out so well. Look at MSU bringing in Barry Williams after Saban bolted.

The Gophers football team lobbied for John Gutekunst to be named head coach after Lou Holtz left in 1985.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_16447193

What kind of coach would Weber choose?

"That's interesting," he said. "Somebody has to understand the market they're in, knowing that this isn't a normal city when it comes to college athletics. You look at a place like Madison or Columbus or Iowa City or Champaign. Predominantly, all they have is that school. Maybe they might have some smaller professional teams, where here you have the Vikings, the Twins, the Wild, the Timberwolves, all sorts of things. So you're not going to be the center of attention.

"I would say the next coach has to understand the history and also the market they're playing in."

As for the experience and style of play Weber would prefer in a new coach, he said, "Until you get in those interview rooms and you get to meet the people, it's hard to say. But just from the outside looking in with this search, I kind of foresee us going the route of a guy like (Gophers men's basketball coach) Tubby Smith, a guy with a history and a name to himself, a proven guy.

"It depends on the guy, but a guy who's shown he's done it before, and a guy who players naturally have respect for — a guy who might come in and change things around, but it would be hard to question him because of his track record."

Go Gophers!!
Weber gets the same question to ask each candidate:"At what point would you have replaced me as QB?" If they answer "never", we don't want them as our coach.

Uh. Maybe because he was ASKED thos questions? BTW, I never saw anything in that article that he said he wanted to be a part of the hiring process. That title is EXTREMELY misleading.

Good point. Neither did I. Read my post again and ask the question of whether I said he wanted to be part of the hiring process. Just to fill in the blank for you, I said he should stay out of the process and get more life experience. It would be good advice to the young man if I could say it too him. In fact, if I were to advise him further, I would suggest he use this tried and true answer, "I have no comment on that question at this time." It's a charmer. Keeps people coming for more without committing any errors.

I keep committing my own errors and anybody on the GH can critique my comments at their leisure because that is what it is all about.

Yes, that is what I am saying. If he didn't like/trust/believe in the former coach he should have transferred. The U is a nice school, but he could have gone to a school that was just as good academically and found playing time. If it was his dream to play at the U (and I believe it was) he should have found a way to buy into what the coach was saying. He deserves to get treated fairly based on his play on the field, not get props for sticking it out.

Wow. You are reading too much into things. Over 4 years he's done dozens of interviews and I've yet to see him respond in a way that says he hasn't bought in.

Good point. Neither did I. Read my post again and ask the question of whether I said he wanted to be part of the hiring process. Just to fill in the blank for you, I said he should stay out of the process and get more life experience. It would be good advice to the young man if I could say it too him. In fact, if I were to advise him further, I would suggest he use this tried and true answer, "I have no comment on that question at this time." It's a charmer. Keeps people coming for more without committing any errors.

Why shouldn't he have an opinion and express it? Should we also refrain from giving an opinion on who the next coach should be?

Weber never fails to amaze. He has to be the most inconsistent (read as incompetent if you wish) QB I've seen at this level in a long time. Brewster's biggest crime here was tying his success / failure to a guy who can rack up numbers through longevity and game style but at the end of the day be outplayed by even FCS QB's. Maybe after this season, when he's finally gone, my head will stop hurting. Or perhaps Maturi should make a deal with him just to shut him up: Do one of the following and we'll give you a seat at the search committee table:

1. Outplay the opponent's QB, just once in your career here.
2. Play one game in which you don't throw a gift to the opponent and kill your team's momentum.
3. On at least one play before the season ends, move out of the pocket without tripping over your own feet.

No, it doesn't. You're reading into it what you want to read into it. Saying we need a coach with a proven track record is what just about everyone is saying. It's not a comment on Brewster at all. He doesn't say or imply that he didn't respect Brewster. And he never says or implies that he is above criticism.

Yes it does. And if you can't buy that, just review a few game films and get a load of his whining, finger-pointing attitude on the sidelines. Thank God this delusional kid is a senior.

Why not?

Adam Weber has gained a wealth of experience dealing with a variety of coaches during his five year career. Why not use that? A player's perspective is something that Maturi, the President and Mona don't have. Maturi has to get this one right and he would be foolish not to use the available resources.

Okay, this is it for my comments on this topic, so everyone can breathe easy. Ahem, we have listened to players before. Does anyone remember Gutekunst and how he was given the head coaching job?

I think it's time this country began turning to college students for guidance. For too long we have dismissed their wisdom and insight. When I meet a college student I almost always think, "This person is ready to shoulder responsibility and to begin making big decisions."

I kid, I kid!

I think it's time this country began turning to college students for guidance. For too long we have dismissed their wisdom and insight. When I meet a college student I almost always think, "This person is ready to shoulder responsibility and to begin making big decisions."

I kid, I kid!

Quite right, when everyone knows that coaches should be hired by posters on message boards.

It's an interview, that's it. Does anyone really think Maturi would ask for Weber's opinion in something this big? Of course not. We all have our opinions, that's all this was.

I swear, if there was an article about Weber pushing a kid out of the way of a car, someone would rip on him for something. Weber's been a disappointment to say the least. Can't we just leave it at that?

I don't see anything outlandish about what Weber says in the interview. I believe the last paragraph may say something about Brewster, but not any big negative. Brewster came in and changed things around and was criticized for doing that. I believe what Weber is saying that if someone comes in and changes things around, it's important that there be a record showing that there's some historical framework for what may happen--hopefully good--when the changes take place.

I had high hopes for Brewster, but he didn't work out. What I believe Weber is saying that it's alright to question after four years, but the questioning shouldn't start on Day 1 of the new regime, as it did with Brewster. Someone with a track record of success would at least delay the savagery.

Weber's involvement could be valuable - take what he says and do the opposite.

Weber seems like a great kid, but while Brewster spoke of him as such a great leader, his actions/performance on the field and the reactions of his teammates to said actions/performance clearly said otherwise (anybody else notice the reactions of the receivers on those incomplete passes? If so, do you think they would be shaking their heads, throwing their hands in the air, looking to the sideline, if they truly respected Weber?). MV on FBT is dead on - if Weber were to have any input whatsoever in this process, then we are as bush-league as we have ever been.

The candidate list has been intercepted and returned for six.

Top Bottom