Shooter: Adam Weber wants to be part of the hiring process

BleedGopher

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_16447193

What kind of coach would Weber choose?

"That's interesting," he said. "Somebody has to understand the market they're in, knowing that this isn't a normal city when it comes to college athletics. You look at a place like Madison or Columbus or Iowa City or Champaign. Predominantly, all they have is that school. Maybe they might have some smaller professional teams, where here you have the Vikings, the Twins, the Wild, the Timberwolves, all sorts of things. So you're not going to be the center of attention.

"I would say the next coach has to understand the history and also the market they're playing in."

As for the experience and style of play Weber would prefer in a new coach, he said, "Until you get in those interview rooms and you get to meet the people, it's hard to say. But just from the outside looking in with this search, I kind of foresee us going the route of a guy like (Gophers men's basketball coach) Tubby Smith, a guy with a history and a name to himself, a proven guy.

"It depends on the guy, but a guy who's shown he's done it before, and a guy who players naturally have respect for — a guy who might come in and change things around, but it would be hard to question him because of his track record."

Go Gophers!!

"That's interesting," he said. "Somebody has to understand the market they're in, knowing that this isn't a normal city when it comes to college athletics. You look at a place like Madison or Columbus or Iowa City or Champaign. Predominantly, all they have is that school. Maybe they might have some smaller professional teams, where here you have the Vikings, the Twins, the Wild, the Timberwolves, all sorts of things. So you're not going to be the center of attention.

"I would say the next coach has to understand the history and also the market they're playing in."

As for the experience and style of play Weber would prefer in a new coach, he said, "Until you get in those interview rooms and you get to meet the people, it's hard to say. But just from the outside looking in with this search, I kind of foresee us going the route of a guy like (Gophers men's basketball coach) Tubby Smith, a guy with a history and a name to himself, a proven guy.

"It depends on the guy, but a guy who's shown he's done it before, and a guy who players naturally have respect for — a guy who might come in and change things around, but it would be hard to question him because of his track record."

Go Gophers!!

I find this very interesting and disappointing about Mr. Weber. It makes me question his leadership skills especially the last paragraph. I'll leave it at that.

Is this kid nuts? Why him? He should spend his time worrying about becoming Mr. Double 1-11 then choosing the next coach! Hi never ending, right out the door endorsement of brewster tells us all we know about his ability to pick anything.

Already too many decision makers, keep Adam away.

I'm an Adam Weber fan, only because he seems like a good kid. It wasn't by his choice to be led so poorly by the revolving door of coaches and inept administration, but seriously.. Adam needs to concentrate on playing football and his own improvement. I keep hearing him say what a great coach Brewster was, and that gives me no faith that Adam should even be near those making the decision. Adam doesn't know what a good college coach is because he's never had one. Go Gophers!

Good for Weber. Kid has a bright non-football future ahead of him.

It depends on the guy, but a guy who's shown he's done it before, and a guy who players naturally have respect for — a guy who might come in and change things around, but it would be hard to question him because of his track record.

What's wrong with this paragraph? A guy who's shown he's done it before, everyone's looking for that, right? Respected by players, surely that's not a bad thing. Changing things around, that's what new coaches do. And people are going to second guess a coach with a solid track record a lot less than they would a coach with no track record.

I don't think he's said anything that everyone else hasn't said. I don't think its particularly valuable though, no current player has the perspective to have special input on who the next coach has been. Picking the player favorite has often been a mistake.

What's wrong with this paragraph? A guy who's shown he's done it before, everyone's looking for that, right? Respected by players, surely that's not a bad thing. Changing things around, that's what new coaches do. And people are going to second guess a coach with a solid track record a lot less than they would a coach with no track record.

I don't think he's said anything that everyone else hasn't said. I don't think its particularly valuable though, no current player has the perspective to have special input on who the next coach has been. Picking the player favorite has often been a mistake.

It shows how he really felt about the previous coach, how he didn't respect him because he didn't have a prove track record. If that is how Adam felt he should have transferred not been the "leader" of the team and captain for 3 years. To me his comments read as though he thinks he wasn't part of the problem of Gopher football the past four years and above criticism.

"I would say the next coach has to understand the history and also the market they're playing in.

At least Weber understands why we need to get a big name coach in this market, and doesn't underestimate the relationship between a major city and college sports.

It shows how he really felt about the previous coach, how he didn't respect him because he didn't have a prove track record. If that is how Adam felt he should have transferred not been the "leader" of the team and captain for 3 years. To me his comments read as though he thinks he wasn't part of the problem of Gopher football the past four years and above criticism.

No, it doesn't. You're reading into it what you want to read into it. Saying we need a coach with a proven track record is what just about everyone is saying. It's not a comment on Brewster at all. He doesn't say or imply that he didn't respect Brewster. And he never says or implies that he is above criticism.

At least Weber understands why we need to get a big name coach in this market, and doesn't underestimate the relationship between a major city and college sports.

What didn't Brewster understand? He seemed to work hard to embrace the history of the program. I don't recall him thinking he was bigger then the Vikings or Twins. Was it his stated goal to win a rose bowl that showed he didn't get it? Was it implementing the Victory Walk and singing the school song after games? For a coach who didn't get it Brew sure worked hard to engage fans, old lettermen, and high school coaches! Now he couldn't coach at this level and that justified his termination. Weber doesn't get anything, so he wants to be in the hiring process but has no idea what he is looking for in a coach.

I took from it that after all the coaching carousel the one thing that is creeping up is cynicism when listening to a new coach come in and talk about why it will be different. If you have a coach who can point to something in the past it will help lend weight to his comments, and help stop the water cooler talk of "yeah we've heard this bull before"

Disagree totally. I have no problem with what he says at all. I'm guessing he doesn't respect Brew (as much - I didn't say "at all") because he changed the offensive system 12 times in Adam's 5 years here.

I don't respect that either.

The last paragraph is great. "If they hire a guy that comes in here to rip apart the program and change everything, he better have a proven track record." I don't see the problem with that statement.........

Disagree totally. I have no problem with what he says at all. I'm guessing he doesn't respect Brew (as much - I didn't say "at all") because he changed the offensive system 12 times in Adam's 5 years here.

I don't respect that either.

The last paragraph is great. "If they hire a guy that comes in here to rip apart the program and change everything, he better have a proven track record." I don't see the problem with that statement.........

Are you familiar with how quotes work? Nice rewrite of the last paragraph. I thought the offense was changed twice (once to many), I didn't know it was 12 times. So if you look at what Weber actually said in the last paragraph he isn't sure that a new coach would come in and change things, that might happen?

Who gives a shiit what Weber thinks, thank god hes gone after this year

I didn't click the link but other than the title, where did Adam say he wants to be part of the hiring process?

you're saying weber should have transferred when he didn't like the coach when most sane people advocate that you should choose your school not just based on the football program. that's hypocritical. for all of his faults, weber is a second generation gopher who showed nothing but loyalty to the program and he should get props for playing his whole career here.

I didn't click the link but other than the title, where did Adam say he wants to be part of the hiring process?

Just click on the link next time. Try the first 3 sentences of the article.

This is absurd.

you're saying weber should have transferred when he didn't like the coach when most sane people advocate that you should choose your school not just based on the football program. that's hypocritical. for all of his faults, weber is a second generation gopher who showed nothing but loyalty to the program and he should get props for playing his whole career here.

Yes, that is what I am saying. If he didn't like/trust/believe in the former coach he should have transferred. The U is a nice school, but he could have gone to a school that was just as good academically and found playing time. If it was his dream to play at the U (and I believe it was) he should have found a way to buy into what the coach was saying. He deserves to get treated fairly based on his play on the field, not get props for sticking it out.

Why not?

Adam Weber has gained a wealth of experience dealing with a variety of coaches during his five year career. Why not use that? A player's perspective is something that Maturi, the President and Mona don't have. Maturi has to get this one right and he would be foolish not to use the available resources.

He has stated many times his feelings of Brewster and they have been positive. I think his point is based on the continuous change there needs to be a coach who comes in and says something new (again) and should be able to point to his history to validate it.

What didn't Brewster understand? He seemed to work hard to embrace the history of the program. I don't recall him thinking he was bigger then the Vikings or Twins. Was it his stated goal to win a rose bowl that showed he didn't get it? Was it implementing the Victory Walk and singing the school song after games? For a coach who didn't get it Brew sure worked hard to engage fans, old lettermen, and high school coaches! Now he couldn't coach at this level and that justified his termination. Weber doesn't get anything, so he wants to be in the hiring process but has no idea what he is looking for in a coach.

Brewster understood all of those things and did some great stuff, no doubt. I love how he tried to reconnect with the history of the program. No question Maturi was a force behind that as well.

My point is that we need a big name coach to get the media to cover the team more, to get the casual fan interested (remember, you and I are not the typical target market we need to capture), to give the future Michael Floyds and Seantrel Hendersons a reason to stay here.

Maturi and Bruininks are finally starting to realize this, so this is why this is the desired group of the search.

Weber - "I want to be part of the process"

WTF?!? Yeah, letting players pick out the next coach always works out so well. Look at MSU bringing in Barry Williams after Saban bolted.

There's only one aspect in how Weber should be part of the process. Show candidates a picture of #8, and ask them "In 50 words or less, how would you recruit & develop a better QB than this guy?"

Brewster understood all of those things and did some great stuff, no doubt. I love how he tried to reconnect with the history of the program. No question Maturi was a force behind that as well.

My point is that we need a big name coach to get the media to cover the team more, to get the casual fan interested (remember, you and I are not the typical target market we need to capture), to give the future Michael Floyds and Seantrel Hendersons a reason to stay here.

Maturi and Bruininks are finally starting to realize this, so this is why this is the desired group of the search.

Josh, I think that coach is winning, it won't matter what the name on the paycheck is. Do you think Tubby has gotten more coverage than either Clem or Monson? I think he has gotten the same amount as Clem and more then Monson. Why, because so far he has won more than Monson and has the program currently in the general area where Clem had it.

Weber in no way says or infers anything about Brewster. To claim he does infers that every fan who now wants the same kind of guy Weber wants must have never supported Brewster.

In terms of him desiring some input into the process, why shouldn't he? Every guy on this board would like input into the process. Wanting input into the process doesn't mean he'll get it, and spending five minutes talking to a reporter isn't exactly distracting him from football.

This is like when Mona was hired by the Gophs. A lot of guys suddenly panicked and overreacted thinking Mona was going to have a big say in the process. Many still believe Dungy somehow has a lot of control over the situation.

Hey, Obama was on campus last weekend. Why the hell is he involved in the coaching search?

It obviously weighs on his mind as he's watching a Wisconsin defender step in front of the WR and pick off his latest pass. :rolleyes:

It obviously weighs on his mind as he's watching a Wisconsin defender step in front of the WR and pick off his latest pass. :rolleyes:

Irrelevant.

Just because he isn't as good of a QB as everyone wanted doesn't mean he can't understand the situation surrounding the program and what it will take to win, especially having been in the middle of it for 5 years, as well as growing up right smack dab in the Twin Cities metro area.

Irrelevant.

Just because he isn't as good of a QB as everyone wanted doesn't mean he can't understand the situation surrounding the program and what it will take to win, especially having been in the middle of it for 5 years, as well as growing up right smack dab in the Twin Cities metro area.

That's fine. And the new coach does need to 'understand' it too. He's not going to have 3 different coaches shows with people fawning all over them. He'll have one and only die-hards will listen. If his ego needs the former then I guess he needs to coach somewhere else. On the other hand, he'll be able to have dinner downtown without being bothered. That probably isn't possible in Iowa City. One of these things is 'negative' the other is 'positive' and neither of them has any affect on the coach's ability to win football games, which is the bottom-line.

Josh, I think that coach is winning, it won't matter what the name on the paycheck is. Do you think Tubby has gotten more coverage than either Clem or Monson? I think he has gotten the same amount as Clem and more then Monson. Why, because so far he has won more than Monson and has the program currently in the general area where Clem had it.

Why do you think Tubby is winning more than Monson? Do you think Dan could have gotten high-ranked local recruits to commit like Rodney Williams, Royce White, & Trevor Mbakwe? Or the guys he's brought in out of state? Not to mention the ticket sales even before Tubby's team ever played a game? How do you explain that? And that's just the recruiting/media aspect, not to mention he's a whole lot better coach to begin with.

The coach matters.

Yes, if you win, the fans will come - but isn't it a whole lot easier to hire a coach to instantly create excitement and new fans rather than to keep trying what we have been unable to do in the last 40+ years - to magically find the savior of the program and then get the fans after 5 or 10 years?

Why do you think Tubby is winning more than Monson? Do you think Dan could have gotten high-ranked local recruits to commit like Rodney Williams, Royce White, & Trevor Mbakwe? Or the guys he's brought in out of state? Not to mention the ticket sales even before Tubby's team ever played a game? How do you explain that? And that's just the recruiting/media aspect, not to mention he's a whole lot better coach to begin with.

The coach matters.

Yes, if you win, the fans will come - but isn't it a whole lot easier to hire a coach to instantly create excitement and new fans rather than to keep trying what we have been unable to do in the last 40+ years - to magically find the savior of the program and then get the fans after 5 or 10 years?

I almost got Basketball season tickets from the hire alone. The price was out of my budget, but that type of hire can easily get fans to buy tickets before they even win.

Top Bottom