Shama with Gophers NIL

If this is true, we seem competitive in the NIL game and shouldn’t use it as an excuse.

While Burns didn’t offer figures as to how much money DA has to potentially benefit Gophers football and basketball players, he said that “maybe in the middle is a good way to put it” in comparison with its 13 Big Ten rivals. Burns said no matter how high or low the numbers are “it will be manipulated and used in recruiting.”

Go Gophers!!

If this is true, we seem competitive in the NIL game and shouldn’t use it as an excuse.

While Burns didn’t offer figures as to how much money DA has to potentially benefit Gophers football and basketball players, he said that “maybe in the middle is a good way to put it” in comparison with its 13 Big Ten rivals. Burns said no matter how high or low the numbers are “it will be manipulated and used in recruiting.”

Go Gophers!!
The way to promote or sell anything is to tell stories. Give me some examples of something beyond a one time hundred dollars personal appearance.
Somebody must have signed a deal by now? Isn't the idea marketing, advertising? Tell somebody about it. Who is the adult beverage? How much money is it? What's the money going to be used for?
It seems to me they are focusing on all the individuals of all 50 sports or however many we have. I'd like to see a guaranteed monthly income for each of the basketball teams. 13 and 15 players. Then expand outward after you got a system in place to do those two teams.
A 1,000 athlete free for all competition amongst all the Gopher athletes seems counter productive to me.
Each player can hire an NIL agent if they choose . We need a coop focusing on teams.
If we are in the middle tell why, how.
The only deals I have read on here have been the different Baldy's promotions. Is he the only guy doing anything?

as I read the article, Burns is saying that MN is competitive in - for lack of a better term - "legal" NIL.

"HS QB gets 7-figure NIL deal" makes a great headline - but that is not what NIL was supposed to be about.

there is a huge difference between letting the QB or RB sell their own t-shirts, and some booster throwing 6-figure deals at HS recruits.

MN is trying to do NIL the way it was intended, but doing things the 'right' way can also be the more difficult way. and that is what DT needs to explain to people.

Are your able to specify where/who you want your money to go?

Focusing solely on the current student athletes seems like a mistake to me. Burns mentions how they are looking for more regular donors outside of the hardcore fanbase, but that seems like an impossible task without slightly better football seasons and exponentially better basketball seasons. How do you get a moderately invested Gopher football fan to give $ to keep the players together who are leading us to seasons outside of the top 25 or the Gopher basketball fan to give $ to keep the players together who have had two of the worst seasons in the history of the program? What is the pitch? People want to see a path forward and everybody (even the wealthiest people) want to see that their donations are making a difference. Obviously, it's important to keep the best players on the current rosters in Minnesota, but it's also important to add talent at a level at or above what our peers are bringing in. It seems like individual donors that can give $10-$100 a month are far more likely to come aboard when they see that the $'s their friends and neighbors (or hopefully some bigger businesses) donate have actually resulted in better on field performance.

I know that PJ has given interviews where he has suggested that the current model of how Minnesota is approaching NIL works for him and used some of the same potential pitfalls that Burns cites in this interview. I hope I am not betraying anyone's trust by saying this, but I have heard off the record that PJ is pretty frustrated with how Minnesota is approaching NIL and where we stand. I know their is a gray area involved with what can and can't be done with players before they arrive on campus, but it also seems that staying solely in the black and white puts you far, far behind what many programs are doing.

It's probably a good thing that DTA is working on a beverage deal. I believe the Iowa Swarm has both a beer and a hard liquor (vodka?) partnership. I think the beer one alone has brought in like $30k or more a month since it's inception to go to NIL.

Burns pointed out that the football program sells about 24,000 season tickets and there is a lot of potential within that group. If 10,000 become Dinkytown Athletes members at even $10 a month, that’s over $1 million per year for DA.

I don't mind being a season ticket holder but I am already making a "donation" to the U with my seats, I'm not about to get on board and give another 120/yr even if its only "$10" a month

Burns pointed out that the football program sells about 24,000 season tickets and there is a lot of potential within that group. If 10,000 become Dinkytown Athletes members at even $10 a month, that’s over $1 million per year for DA.
It's a nice soundbite quote, but I wonder how many accounts that is? They aren't looking for 10,000 members from 24,000 account holders. I'd guess it's more like 8,000 accounts.

Top Bottom