Shama: U State Hoops Recruiting Not Okay

If this guy had a Hopkins jersey on, virtually all (male) Gopher fans would be creaming their shorts:

There would still be a strong contingent that would upset over not getting Garcia, Terry, Wright, etc... Some can't focus on what we have.

This is not a good article.

Pitino has been decent at getting good kids from in state. Decent at best. Oturo and Coffey are who you hang your hat on. The rest of that list is silly. None of them would be difference makers most likely and aren't any better than the guys on our bench already.

If he can get at least 1 of the top 2-3 kids from in state each year, I'd say that's fair and also about what we should expect. One of these times also, I'd like to see them land that 5 star kid or have a season where you get 2-3 kids from in state that also are being recruited by the big boys.

Oturo had Kansas and many other offers, Purdue wanted Gabe. It's happened.

I think there is a valid point in here somewhere, and I think part of that point is that it's a tough road competing against other top programs for Rivals star ratings. What you're looking for is talent, and you have to scout and exploit informal networks to find talent sometimes. The Gophers would never have gone to the rounds of 16 and 8 in 1989 and 1990 without Walter Bond and Kevin Lynch, who were talented but not hotly recruited. Those are the type of players who would round out our present roster nicely and potentially even compete for starting roles if they develop well.

Oturo had Kansas and many other offers, Purdue wanted Gabe. It's happened.
Purdue never offered Gabe, they looked at him real hard. Oturo wanted to stay home but i do not care as it has happened regardless of where they came from. By rankings we have out recruited UVA several times since 2012, same with UW. Have we scouted and developed as well, have we instilled a identity. That is what you recruit to.

Purdue never offered Gabe, they looked at him real hard. Oturo wanted to stay home but i do not care as it has happened regardless of where they came from. By rankings we have out recruited UVA several times since 2012, same with UW. Have we scouted and developed as well, have we instilled a identity. That is what you recruit to.

Yeah I could care less if they have one MN kid on the roster. My bad on Gabe, I thought they'd offer. UW and UVA are easy examples, but also looking at how TT has built their rosters and the adjustment of Scott Drew's recruiting down at Baylor and of course Jay Wright at Nova are great examples as well of recruiting with a purpose and identity over a star/rating count

Top Bottom