Shama: Put this in the 2025 prediction bucket: incoming freshman point guard Isaac Asuma will be the Gophers’ starting point guard by mid-January.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

Put this in the 2025 prediction bucket: incoming freshman point guard Isaac Asuma will be the Gophers’ starting point guard by mid-January.

Go Gophers!!

Who does he have to compete against? he should be PG1 with this roster from day 1… but it’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t environment…if he excels, look out for a potential portal exit next year to big NIL

Who does he have to compete against? he should be PG1 with this roster from day 1… but it’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t environment…if he excels, look out for a potential portal exit next year to big NIL
Exactly.

He has to compete with Caleb Williams, but he can move Williams to SG if he has good enough handles to be the #1 PG.

At this point there is no reason to even look ahead to future seasons. If he can play now you play him, if he leaves after this year so be it.

In regards to Asuma and the starting PG job, assume a lot hinges on if we can get a guy like Patterson or not. Roster as it stands right now, yeah, Asuma should be the starter fairly quickly if he is good. But seems likely that they are still looking for an experienced PG to bring in.

Williams is not a PG
He will be a PG if Mitchell is the SG.
If Mitchell doesn't play as well at SG as Asuma plays at PG then Asuma becomes the starting PG.
But Patterson transferring in to play PG changes that and Williams would play SG.

I would take that bet. Freshman PG is not a good recipe for success. I like the idea of Asuma being Big Ten ready, but likely its an unrealistic jump. Time will tell depending on who we sign in the next few weeks.

I have only seen him play at the State Tournament, and that is against Class A competition. I know he has faced stronger competition in AAU play.

Asuma is a good athlete. very strong, good body control, good quickness. But - I'm not sure he is a B1G-level PG when it comes to handling the ball, especially when facing players who are just as athletic as he is or better. from what I've seen, Asuma's game in HS revolves around driving to the basket and taking advantage of players who just don't match up with him physically.

Hey - I could be dead wrong. Asuma may turn out to be a legit major-conference PG. but I will be very surprised if it happens that quickly. I see him as a player who will need at least a year to adjust to the higher level of competition. playing behind Hawkins for a year would have been an ideal situation. but - that is no longer possible.

Williams is not a PG
Williams WAS not the point guard at Macalester because he was the scoring guard. Doesn't mean he couldn't play the point for the Gophers. Maybe he can't, but he's open to the possibility.

I saw Williams play against the Gophers and I saw Williams play against Hamline one game he lit it up the other he did not.. he played similar both games… he has some quickness and some handle but he used those traits to hunt shots.. which many two guards do… quickness and handle to create space for his shot or to get to a spot for his shot… I am glad he is getting his chance… there is a difference between using your handle and quickness to create/facilitate and get assists and using it to get your shots… big stretch for him to play big 10 point guard IMO.. some two guards struggle to run point because of it..

Plus just my two cents reading into things which I don’t like to do too much.. but UC Davis his only other visit.. doesn’t add up.. Williams said Ben was honest and direct with him to me means come here work your ass off and we will see what happens… If a guy had big 10 point guard potential other teams would of been all over him..

Hopefully we hit the jackpot! I talked to Two MIAC refs and one assistant they think he can help but has limitations

I saw Williams play against the Gophers and I saw Williams play against Hamline one game he lit it up the other he did not.. he played similar both games… he has some quickness and some handle but he used those traits to hunt shots.. which many two guards do… quickness and handle to create space for his shot or to get to a spot for his shot… I am glad he is getting his chance… there is a difference between using your handle and quickness to create/facilitate and get assists and using it to get your shots… big stretch for him to play big 10 point guard IMO.. some two guards struggle to run point because of it..

Plus just my two cents reading into things which I don’t like to do too much.. but UC Davis his only other visit.. doesn’t add up.. Williams said Ben was honest and direct with him to me means come here work your ass off and we will see what happens… If a guy had big 10 point guard potential other teams would of been all over him..

Hopefully we hit the jackpot! I talked to Two MIAC refs and one assistant they think he can help but has limitations
I think there will be games where we hope he doesn't see another minute and games where he is our favorite player.

I agree with your assessment. I don't think he is a PG. He is a good enough ball handler that I think playing him with Asuma/Mitchell/Patterson will help them as a secondary ball handler, but I see him as a SG in a point guard's body.

I think there will be games where we hope he doesn't see another minute and games where he is our favorite player.

I agree with your assessment. I don't think he is a PG. He is a good enough ball handler that I think playing him with Asuma/Mitchell/Patterson will help them as a secondary ball handler, but I see him as a SG in a point guard's body.
If we get Patterson, Williams could play PG only as a third option after Patterson, and Asuma. If he is not as good a PG as Mitchell, then Mitchell becomes the third option.

Williams WAS not the point guard at Macalester because he was the scoring guard. Doesn't mean he couldn't play the point for the Gophers. Maybe he can't, but he's open to the possibility.
We are not going to have a point guard in the classical tradition. Asuma, Williams, and Mitchell can all bring the ball up the floor and set up a rapid ball movement offense with cutters and finding open threes. It's a better offense than having the ball in one guy's hands for much of the shot clock.

We are not going to have a point guard in the classical tradition. Asuma, Williams, and Mitchell can all bring the ball up the floor and set up a rapid ball movement offense with cutters and finding open threes. It's a better offense than having the ball in one guy's hands for much of the shot clock.
I highly doubt we play fast with our roster. I'd say like somebody else mentioned we are more like year one offensively. We are not riddled with shooters or offensive talent. Ben likes to burn the shot clock....think more Wisconsin style. Hopefully we post up now that Payne has moved on. :)

Education...getting his Masters Degree in one year seemed to be his priority over basketball. Honor student. Listening to him in the interview he did what the coach wanted him to do at Macalester...willing to do what the team needs him to do to win for the Gophers....and seemingly smart enough to be able to adapt.

I highly doubt we play fast with our roster. I'd say like somebody else mentioned we are more like year one offensively. We are not riddled with shooters or offensive talent. Ben likes to burn the shot clock....think more Wisconsin style. Hopefully we post up now that Payne has moved on. :)
We're going to have depth, so Ben needs to be able to use that as an advantage. I wouldn't mind seeing us up the tempo against teams with short benches, and teams with slow guards.

Top Bottom