Shama: Pitino: Gophers Program ‘Can Win Big’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The following interview also included subjects beyond basketball to provide readers insights about Pitino the person, not just the coach. His responses have partially been edited for brevity and clarity.

You can bet this about the 2015-2016 Gophers: I would hope that we compete regardless of the circumstances at the highest possible level—and play as hard as we possibly can. Get the most out of our abilities individually and…as a team. (I) would hope that we’re playing our best basketball at the end of the year, not at the beginning.

Who are the players vital to Minnesota’s success this season? Probably the six returners (Charles Buggs, Gaston Diedhiou, Joey King, Bakary Konaté, Nate Mason and Carlos Morris). I would say those guys are extremely important because they played last year, so they know what to expect. It’s crucial that they take the next steps and get the younger guys better, and get them…ready for what’s coming.

What did you learn as a coach last season losing nine games by six points or less? I think the one thing I’ve taken out of it is do a better job of preparing your guys. Getting your guys to prepare for the fact that it’s not (always) going to go your way. …It’s how do you respond to that adversity, and that’s something we’re really, really working on a lot.

What will it take to eventually win a Big Ten championship? And even multiple Big Ten championships? Stability would be one (thing). You look at the programs that have been good every single year, there’s stability, (and) there’s continuity from the (school) president all the way down to the head coach, assistant coaches and strength coach. That is so crucial. (Also) great recruiting, and not just one class but three, four, five classes to where you get great stability…because unfortunately you deal with injuries.

What’s the likelihood of Minnesota winning a Big Ten championship in the next five years? As a coach you don’t really think that way, but that’s something that we’re building towards, and that’s a dream of ours…to do it. I think we’re moving in that direction. We know there’s a lot of great teams, there’s a lot of great programs. In order for us to do it, we’re going to have to be a really strong program and that’s something we’re moving towards.

People who think I won’t be at Minnesota long-term should know: They probably don’t know how much I love it here. My wife loves it here, our kids (too). I think the biggest thing is there is no reason why we can’t win and win big here. It just takes time. I am really enjoying the journey getting towards that.

If you were a Gopher player what would you think of coach Pitino? He’s a guy who is really, really eager to build this (program) into a powerhouse. Really wants to do it together. Very fair, very honest about the right things, and extremely hard worker.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom