Shama: Pitino’s career record in BT regular season road games is 14-55; U alum Brian Dutcher has won 13 straight regular season road games

I'm surprised we've won 14 honestly. I'd have to think to find those games

Coach K is 73---Roy Williams 70---Leonard Hamilton 72---John Calipari 61--Tom Izzo 65
Man I dont know what we would do with a 61 yr old coach, There is ZERO precedence for a coach ever winning a game over the age of 60! Also better never consider Mark Few, that WCC is trash, bet that guy couldnt coach anywhere else! People in here astound me.

Sure winning 13 in a row on the road in the MWC isnt as daunting as doing it in the big 10 but 14-55 is on the other spectrum of embarrassing. Thats basically beating one of Rutgers/NW/Neb on the road each year and then having 1 random miracle game (Purdue/Wisc).

Would Dutcher work here, who knows. Would he stay 10+ years, who knows. But to definitively say you dont want him while we have accepted a guy who has a 20% win rate on the road in conference and has never sniffed a conference title or sweet 16 is pretty classic.

Coach K is 73---Roy Williams 70---Leonard Hamilton 72---John Calipari 61--Tom Izzo 65
Man I dont know what we would do with a 61 yr old coach, There is ZERO precedence for a coach ever winning a game over the age of 60! Also better never consider Mark Few, that WCC is trash, bet that guy couldnt coach anywhere else! People in here astound me.

Sure winning 13 in a row on the road in the MWC isnt as daunting as doing it in the big 10 but 14-55 is on the other spectrum of embarrassing. Thats basically beating one of Rutgers/NW/Neb on the road each year and then having 1 random miracle game (Purdue/Wisc).

Would Dutcher work here, who knows. Would he stay 10+ years, who knows. But to definitively say you dont want him while we have accepted a guy who has a 20% win rate on the road in conference and has never sniffed a conference title or sweet 16 is pretty classic.
Good point. I am in the crowd that is thinking Dutcher is too old. I'm not backing Pitino though. I just think by the time Dutcher would have his guys and system in place he's already 65. Is that too old to coach? No, you pointed out examples, however is having a coach over 65 and keeping him well into his 70's the norm? Probably not.

If Pitino isn't the guy fine. Let's move on, but let's find a guy who if he is successful can be successful here for a long time.

Good point. I am in the crowd that is thinking Dutcher is too old. I'm not backing Pitino though. I just think by the time Dutcher would have his guys and system in place he's already 65. Is that too old to coach? No, you pointed out examples, however is having a coach over 65 and keeping him well into his 70's the norm? Probably not.

If Pitino isn't the guy fine. Let's move on, but let's find a guy who if he is successful can be successful here for a long time.

There is never a 100% full proof plan, but I guess the theory is that Dutcher/whoever sets up a good program that is easier to continue type thing. The easiest two examples are San Diego St where Fischer got them rolling, retired and Dutcher now has kept it rolling and Michigan where Beilien got it going and Howard now has it continued. I absolutely understand the premise of finding a guy like PJF who is young and in theory could be here for 30 years. Thats a great idea and I would love that, but in reality what are the actual odds of that? The coach is either most likely too successful and leaves or gets stale over time and gets fired. That is why I am not worried about age, the odds any college coach sticks to 1 program his entire career is so small its not worth thinking about in my opinion. Sure you have the Mark Few's of the world but that is clearly the exception. If you don't have a true blue blood job its just never a lifetime gig most likely.

Pining after a 60+ coach is kind of silly

Technically, pretty much every "great" coach started in a lower level league. Coach K was at Army before Duke.
That's much different than saying every coach that succeeds at a lower level will succeed at a higher level, which is what my comment pertained to.

Only hire Dutcher after he beats us in the NCAA tourney. Only then will we know we have the right guy.

I was just thinking the same thing. Didn't we hire some guy a few years ago that was coaching some low division team in Spokane? Seems to me he beat us in the NCAA's. That went well after that. Coach was a good guy though. He did a heck of a job building Gonzaga. He just could not do it here and could not duplicate it at other schools either. Of course here he inherited a team that had very little left except for years of probation.

Watching Craig Smith's team defend and move the ball against SDSU was a thing of beauty last night. If we move on or Pitino moves on, he's my top choice and it's not close. They started out 0-2 and he's since adjusted and they are on a roll.

Watching Craig Smith's team defend and move the ball against SDSU was a thing of beauty last night. If we move on or Pitino moves on, he's my top choice and it's not close. They started out 0-2 and he's since adjusted and they are on a roll.
They have turned it on. They look very good. I'd be good with him too. That Queta is a stud. Wolves could use him

Has he coached a team that defeated the gophs. The regents only buy in when they see the box score.

color me impressed.

Top Bottom