Shama: Pitino’s career record in BT regular season road games is 14-55; U alum Brian Dutcher has won 13 straight regular season road games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Coach Richard Pitino’s Golden Gophers basketball team lost 86-71 at Iowa yesterday and has dropped six consecutive Big Ten regular season road games dating back to last season. Pitino, now in his eighth season as Minnesota’s coach, has been unable to find success on the road in conference games except for the 2016-2017 season when the Gophers were 5-4.

Pitino’s career record in Big Ten regular season road games is 14-55, a 20 percent winning percentage. Most years the Gophers have won only a couple games away from Minneapolis and that goes a long way toward explaining the season-ending conference finishes of Pitino teams. In seven full seasons he has a fourth place finish in the conference standings (2017), with the next best results two years (2014 and 2019) when the Gophers placed seventh.

Big Ten title contenders win on the road, as history shows. When the Gophers won conference championships in 1982 and 1997, they lost two away games each season. Despite highly competitive road competition in the Big Ten last year, Wisconsin managed a 5-4 record on the way to a share of the conference title.

The Gophers are 10-4 overall and 3-4 in Big Ten games. Their four losses (all on the road) against Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin have been double-digit defeats. Minnesota has been way behind in road games and often because of poor defense and undisciplined offense. The Gophers have also been unable to match the energy of opponents on the road.

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Worth Noting

Minnesota native Brian Dutcher, the San Diego State coach who has a special opt out in his contract that would allow him to coach the Gophers if the job opened, has won 13 consecutive regular season road games dating back to 2019.

Go Gophers!!
I was just going to post this. I'd sure like a coach who can win consecutive road games...

Dutcher is 61...
Exactly...even if we hire him for next year he's already 62...takes a few years to get his own recruits and system in place so he's 65+ when he's in his "peak" years. No thanks. Don't need a coach retiring or dying after giving us a few years and who knows if those years would even be good.

It is all relative. You should be able to recruit better players to a Big 10 school to beat Big 10 teams.
He’s a better coach relative to the mountain west. Doubt the same could be said if he was in the big ten.

He’s a better coach relative to the mountain west. Doubt the same could be said if he was in the big ten.
Agree. He is not the guy that can walk in here and win like he did there. There are coaches that would win here like they did elsewhere.

With that logic then any successful coach at a lower level will be great in the Big Ten, wrong.
I never said that. The question is whether Dutcher would be better than our guy. And i read the Dutcher comment about 13 in a row on the road compared to 7 plus years here to total 14 ! It is just really hard to look at 14-55 and believe it. That is Northwestern territory.

Last edited:

I think we get too wrapped up in hiring a coach that's going to spend decades at a school. There's maybe a dozen coaches that have the kind of loyalty or maintain the success to remain in a position for 10-15 years. I look at Dutcher as someone who can lay the foundation for the program and then yes, you can look for that younger longer term option a decade from now. He can give the program an identity to recruit to, rebuild relationships with HS coaches and AAU programs in the region and I believe he's someone who would reenergize the fan base with the local ties he has and with what he's accomplished at SDSU.

I don't see this as a tear down and rebuild either. Like with the football program when Fleck took over, there's talented high character kids that are coachable like Pitino has spoke about on multiple occasions. Sure, he would need a couple years to bring in recruits but that's the case with any new hire. There's been variations of Dutcher's philosophy that have worked in the Big Ten, no reason we couldn't have similar success here. There's good options elsewhere but his age shouldn't disqualify him, Mack Brown at UNC is an example of the benefits to hiring an older head and the model they've given of hiring older to establish the foundation to then hire younger is something we could follow. We lack identity.
I get what you're saying but I just don't see the program taking the next step if they have a coach for 10 years and MAYBE 5 of them are good years. I think we need a guy who can be the face of the franchise for years to come. He doesn't have to be 30 like Pitino was but being 65+ before your first recruiting class graduates may not be ideal.

Darn BADGER - I guess others do indeed know the score..........

I never said that. The question is whether Dutcher would be better than our guy.
You responded to a sarcastic comment saying that winning on the road in the Mountain West was the same as the Big Ten with:

"It is all relative. You should be able to recruit better players to a Big 10 school to beat Big 10 teams."

So the context of what you were replying to and your response implies success at a lower level translates to success at a higher level, because ". . .you should be able to recruit better players to a Big 10 school to beat Big 10 teams", so you didn't say it, but you made the point without saying it. Otherwise your response was pointless if it wasn't in context of the literal post you quoted and responded to.

Go ahead and hire Dutcher then. The MWC
Could have hired him a couple years ago after Pitino's 4-10 B1G season.

The MWC is no B1G. Not at all convinced he would be able to recruit and be successful here at age 61. FWIW I think the Gophers next basketball coach should be an African-American.

I am a minority and i want the next coach here to be the best coach we could hire no matter what color they are. The worst hire for me is to hire because of pigmentation. Why do you think they should hire someone with more melanin ? That is a form of racism to me.

The MWC is no B1G. Not at all convinced he would be able to recruit and be successful here at age 61. FWIW I think the Gophers next basketball coach should be an African-American.

Tubby Smith, come on down!

With that logic then any successful coach at a lower level will be great in the Big Ten, wrong.
With your logic success at a lower level should be ignored when hiring a coach.

the way it often seems to go is that, when a school makes a coaching change, they hire someone who is seen as a contrast to the previous coach.

so, going by that logic, since Pitino was a younger, less experienced coach, then the next hire should be older with more experience.

With your logic success at a lower level should be ignored when hiring a coach.
Yes sir, then miss guys like Bennett, Ryan, Beard and Oats and Self, Stevens, Matta, Keady,Wooden,Knight, K and on and on. Hell, we took our guy after one year at a lower level, hardly proven and on the politics of Teague.

Only hire Dutcher after he beats us in the NCAA tourney. Only then will we know we have the right guy.

His team was ranked #6 last season. Dad coached here and he is an alum. The MAC is no B1G but U hired Fleck.

Top Bottom