Shama: Patrick Klinger on what he sees as changing landscape of attending sporting events

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Patrick Klinger is the former vice president of marketing for the Twins and still lives in the Twin Cities where he is president of Agile Marketing Partners. During his many years with the Twins, Klinger was known for his innovative promotions, events and marketing that enhanced the fan experience at the Metrodome and Target Field.

Klinger is an optimist, but also a realist who understands the sports and entertainment public. He believes when American sports resume there will be a great appreciation for the impact they have on our lives. He shared several other thoughts about what could lie ahead in the American sports environment in an email yesterday. The email was edited for publication below:

“I believe there will be a contingent of fans reluctant to go back into arenas, ballparks and stadiums (where strangers sit shoulder to shoulder) until there’s a vaccine for COVID-19, or an assurance that the crisis has completely passed. We’ve learned that ‘social distancing’ is the key to containing the spread of viruses. Sports attendance is unlikely to snap right back. However, I do believe it WILL come back in full force in time.

“I’m sure teams, leagues and venues are considering how to ensure fans are safe and comfortable when they return. Will a fan still be able (or want) to get a hot dog passed from a vendor through the hands of six strangers before it lands with the customer? Will concession stands still be manned by volunteers or part-timers with no professional experience with food service? If so, will they be required to wear masks?

“Will venues be completely wiped down with anti-bacterial solution following every game, a special challenge for MLB with its long homestands? Will additional hand washing stations and/or hand sanitizer be placed throughout the venues? There is also the need to keep high-priced players safe in the close confines of locker rooms and dugouts where sweat and spit is ubiquitous.

“We’ll likely think twice before high-fiving the person next to us after a home run, touchdown or game winning basket or goal. Just another way sports may look and feel different when the games begin again.”

Go Gophers!!

I feel like we're reaching the levels of 9/11 where it was proclaimed that "Irony is dead"... and maybe going through this severely distorts our views of what is on the other side.

I'll high five folks after this.

I feel like we're reaching the levels of 9/11 where it was proclaimed that "Irony is dead"... and maybe going through this severely distorts our views of what is on the other side.

Agreed:

1585930503071.png

Go Gophers!!

just be sure they want to be high-fived. If you touch someone who does not want to be touched, that could be a big problem.

At this point we just don't know what the future holds. Will covid-19 be "cured" and go away like smallpox - or will it become an on-going factor in our lives?

No doubt, a lot of people want to get back to "normal," - but some will be less willing to jump back into mingling with crowds. I'm not paranoid, but I would be reluctant to sit in a crowded stadium
or go to the state fair this year. (if there is a state fair....)

just be sure they want to be high-fived. If you touch someone who does not want to be touched, that could be a big problem.

At this point we just don't know what the future holds. Will covid-19 be "cured" and go away like smallpox - or will it become an on-going factor in our lives?

No doubt, a lot of people want to get back to "normal," - but some will be less willing to jump back into mingling with crowds. I'm not paranoid, but I would be reluctant to sit in a crowded stadium

Don't be leaving anyone hanging bro....

My wife has been living like this for years. People might get closer to her after this. Not eating out during flu season, using hand sanitizer religiously, not making visits if someone has a cough.

It’s exhausting. But she’s boasting right now.

Exactly. This will be with us likely forever. Like smallpox (thanks anti-immunizers), like malaria (thanks misuse and misunderstanding of DDT), like traffic deaths (you can't engineer stupid).

Life will not be different for most of us. Some, way different.

Stay healthy.

Exactly. This will be with us likely forever. Like smallpox (thanks anti-immunizers), like malaria (thanks misuse and misunderstanding of DDT), like traffic deaths (you can't engineer stupid).

Life will not be different for most of us. Some, way different.

Stay healthy.
Look no further than the Off Topic board for a jackwad saying he won't get the vaccine, even if they come up with one. Something about the government and chipping him while they do it.

Reactions: Go4

The germ-o-phobia will pass after the first (partial) season of games. We might see masks become a long-term cultural trend some people wear when sick like they have been in East Asia for decades. Unless this virus remains with society and people don't get lasting immunity it won't change how we watch sports too much.

I came here for the technological change I think this will accelerate in sports-watching. E-sports are already having their moment right now, and I guarantee there's some folks working overtime at the NFL/FOX/CBS/ESPN right now trying to figure out how they dramatically accelerate long term plans to broadcast games in VR, with virtual crowds, etc.

Is there a mask with a quick connect nipple for that beer we need to have at the game?

I'm going full Daft Punk this season:

original-esquire-daft-punk-helmet-43-jpg-c6cab159.jpg

As to how sports will change - in the short-term, I think you are going to see a decline in corporate sponsorship and ticket-buying.

Businesses are taking a huge hit from the virus. When sports return, a lot of these businesses will have to re-assess things like buying box seats or suites. those may be expenses that businesses cannot justify at least for the short term. Likewise with companies buying ad time for radio and TV broadcasts, and paying for banners, billboards, etc.

Also - what the bleep does this do to Nascar. If a few of the big sponsors cut back or drop their involvement, that could really have an impact on motorsports.

Beyond the corporate impact, if Joe Fan has seen his personal income take a hit, is he still going to buy season tickets for the Gophers, Twins, etc? What about the casual fan who might go to one or two games a year? Does he still buy those tickets, or just say "bleep it, I'll watch the games on TV."

IMHO, anyone who thinks that everything will just go back to "normal" is kidding themselves.

That's it. I don't want to wear "Depends" to a game.

Top Bottom