Shama on U WRs: That has to be considered a recruiting failure and it’s uncertain how the receiver roster gets fixed in the offseason.

He's just fine on the playbook. Watch the Ohio State game.

Correct that he has Bateman-esque talent. There's something else there, that Fleck won't elaborate on.

There is so much wrong with our passing game and to me it starts with the OC.
In watching our OL play, I go through each play multiple times (haven't started the Iowa game yet as my recording of it started after the Ko TD, so I'm waiting to watch the game in 60).
When we throw the ball, there are many times that we have multiple receivers out in a route, but it really looks like Tanner has one option to look at and nothing else. If that guy doesn't get open the play is doomed because he has to wait to see if he will come open and the other receivers routes are so simple/poorly designed that they aren't ever open (It looks like they are just running a route to tie up a defender or clear out a space but know they are not going to be targeted so they don't work to get open or he doesn't have enough time to go to other looks.
One play late in the game MBS ran across the field and was open, which was pointed out by Lauranitis that Tanner missed seeing him. If you look at Tanner on that play(or any play for that matter) he isn't scanning the field for an open guy he is focused on one guy, who happens to be the receiver just outside of MBS. He isn't open so Tanner can't throw it to him and by the time he comes off that read it's too late to see MBS.
To me the passing struggles are because he isn't allowed to read and react to what he is seeing on the defensive side instead he's looking at the sideline for direction on which player to target and when that first (only) read isn't open there isn't time to look elsewhere and other receivers aren't doing enough to get open because they know it's not coming there way.
I wonder who coaches the QB's .........

Daniel Jackson was open a lot last year and making plays. What the hell has happened?
Yep. He's rarely open and has had more drops than all the other receivers (at least as % of targets).

Has to be an attitude thing.

I get that.

But you're tangibily hurting the team, coach. Is your pride worth that??
When your entire program is built on getting guys to buy in to culture, you absolutely sacrifice results to make a point about things like practicing hard, studying the playbook, actively participating in meetings/film, performing in the classroom, etc. If you give an inch on stuff like that the other guys notice you're a phony who only cares about talent -- just like every other coach they've ever had.

I have no idea what Wright's deal is but it's obvious he's either in the doghouse or just gROWing slowly. Clearly talented, and my hope is he steps into a serious role next year.

Daniel Jackson was open a lot last year and making plays. What the hell has happened?
Well he has been hurt so I’m sure that hasn’t helped his ability to get open or play at a high level

Well he has been hurt so I’m sure that hasn’t helped his ability to get open or play at a high level
Do you think he's playing hurt right now?

Do you think he's playing hurt right now?
No idea. Don’t even know what his injuries are. But if you’re banged up during the year sometimes it’s hard to be in rhythm even if you get back healthy. He is on at most week 3-4 of playing healthy. Because didn’t he just get back 3 weeks ago?

Bateman had 17 TD's in 111 catches his first 2 seasons. That's a TD every 6 catches.
He had 2 TD's and 36 catches with Sanford. That's a TD every 18 catches.
Even with Bateman this year, the Gophers don't win the West. Even with Bateman they don't score vs Iowa.

Watching him get tracked down by a LBer in his first game was when I realized recruiting rankings are not canon. They matter, but they aren't canon.
A 4* that graded out at .9444, no less...

Tanner was far better in 2019 than last year and this year. Was it skill, playcalling, receivers?
You really should go over to Youtube and watch some of those 2019 games again. You'll see very similar passes that we see this season. You'll also see a bunch of games saved by truly spectacular catches... one from CrAB was pretty terrific.

2021 Tanner is exactly the same as 2019 Tanner... well, maybe without the confidence that he can just heave the football "up there" and someone will make a play for him. That's no small thing, either. It probably is the cause of all of Morgan's other foibles.

I am no WR coach, but it seems he can't catch the ball anymore. Or he is just too passive and doesn't go up and grab it like CrAB.

Fleck was asked twice today about Wright at his press conference today

Fleck: "Again, guys earn their playing time. Period."

Bateman had 17 TD's in 111 catches his first 2 seasons. That's a TD every 6 catches.
He had 2 TD's and 36 catches with Sanford. That's a TD every 18 catches.
Even with Bateman this year, the Gophers don't win the West. Even with Bateman they don't score vs Iowa.
They literally scored 22 points against Iowa. So I’m not sure what you mean when you say they don’t score vs Iowa

Fleck putting his ego above the team winning.

If he stole from another player, making bad life choices, or wasn't making grades, then he shouldn't be with the program, and that's what I would expect Fleck to do. So we know that's not it.

Fleck trying to "prove a point", and hurting the team in doing so.

Fleck putting his ego above the team winning.

If he stole from another player, making bad life choices, or wasn't making grades, then he shouldn't be with the program, and that's what I would expect Fleck to do. So we know that's not it.

Fleck trying to "prove a point", and hurting the team in doing so.
So you're saying that if actions aren't serious enough to be kicked off the team, then there shouldn't ever be any consequences? The player that isn't doing what he should be is the one hurting the team.

So you're saying that if actions aren't serious enough to be kicked off the team, then there shouldn't ever be any consequences? The player that isn't doing what he should be is the one hurting the team.
Yes, not doing what they should be .... like ...... ?

Probably something really serious, like not wearing the HYPRR hoodie on campus.

LOL

guy comes late once…start him
3 times…start him.
6 times… start him

but that 7th time remove him from the school

I don't know and I don't care. He's clearly not doing things he should be doing. Lots of other players don't seem to have that same problem.

I don't know and I don't care. He's clearly not doing things he should be doing. Lots of other players don't seem to have that same problem.
Hmmm ... :rolleyes:

I don't believe it.

But, neither of us has proof.

It's Remember the Titans where the slow DB goes in because the guy who's good lips off to the coach, I guess.

LOL

guy comes late once…start him
3 times…start him.
6 times… start him

but that 7th time remove him from the school
That's pretty funny.

Honestly, when we complete a pass this year it feels like quite an accomplishment, because you just don't expect it. Perhaps some more quick hit slants that are consistent with the QB's strengths are in order. Simple math would tell you if you have smaller targets you have less room for error. The further the pass, the greater the error. Slow developing pass plays have not been too effective from what I can recall.

On a different note, I liked the pitch. Our RBs have some great deception and space gives them a chance to use it.

Watching him get tracked down by a LBer in his first game was when I realized recruiting rankings are not canon. They matter, but they aren't canon.
It was actually Wisconsin’s DE iirc. I remember watching it live, the whole stadium was excited and then almost let out a collective sigh.

None of us here know exactly what it is, but to suggest there are no consequences for actions (aside from getting kicked off the team) is just plain silly.

None of us here know exactly what it is, but to suggest there are no consequences for actions (aside from getting kicked off the team) is just plain silly.
From what I have seen, Fleck seems like he cares about these kids, so he deserves props for that if so. At most, they will be playing football for about 10 more years, so there are other pretty important messages too.

It was actually Wisconsin’s DE iirc. I remember watching it live, the whole stadium was excited and then almost let out a collective sigh.
Yeah, that sounds right.

I remember that collective sigh, it was abundantly clear he was not a dynamic athlete from the second he touched the ball. I think that was it for me. It wasn't so much that Hayo was a miss, it was just that it made it clear that (at that time), there was very little actual scouting. No one saw him in person and put 4 stars next to his name.

Top Bottom