Shama: "It wouldn’t be surprising to see NIL become a bigger success with the Tommies than the Gophers."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

St. Thomas is fast earning respect and attention for its success in Division I sports. With wealthy alums and admirers, it wouldn’t be surprising to see NIL become a bigger success with the Tommies than the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Coyle said in the Whalen presser that MN is competitive in nil.
I actually heard something similar last night from a guy I know..... that our guys are actually doing fairly well. Not near the top of the conference but not at the bottom either. I was surprised.

again, the question hinges on how you define "NIL." if you're talking about the Dinkytown Athletes version of NIL, with people getting money for signing autographs or selling T-shirts, I'm sure MN is getting some of that money.

But if you're talking about players getting upper 5-figure or 6-figure deals from boosters and collectives, I don't think that MN is seeing a lot of that.

Of course, Coyle said that a lot of NIL claims are exaggerated. Yeah - Bucky Irving leaving wasn't about money. Evans leaving wasn't about money. if that's what you want to believe, go ahead.

I think Ryan Burns and Ryan James see things differently.

again, the question hinges on how you define "NIL." if you're talking about the Dinkytown Athletes version of NIL, with people getting money for signing autographs or selling T-shirts, I'm sure MN is getting some of that money.

But if you're talking about players getting upper 5-figure or 6-figure deals from boosters and collectives, I don't think that MN is seeing a lot of that.

Of course, Coyle said that a lot of NIL claims are exaggerated. Yeah - Bucky Irving leaving wasn't about money. Evans leaving wasn't about money. if that's what you want to believe, go ahead.

Well everyone here believes that anyone leaving MN is because of NIL. Like a backup safety on a mid tier football team is getting 10’s or 100’s of thousands of dollar to go to another school.

It's better than that
That's correct

I think you are right.

It’s been reported that Evans is getting a 500,000 offer to go to Louisville so I think in his case it is about the money. It sounds like a lot of these kids aren’t getting what they were promised in these shady deals

per Shama:

St. Thomas is fast earning respect and attention for its success in Division I sports. With wealthy alums and admirers, it wouldn’t be surprising to see NIL become a bigger success with the Tommies than the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!
Shameful just couldn’t help himself and released it after our victorious Thursday. My guess is he trolls here and is Soggy Blanket’s kin

It’s been reported that Evans is getting a 500,000 offer to go to Louisville so I think in his case it is about the money. It sounds like a lot of these kids aren’t getting what they were promised in these shady deals
Who other than Pilgrim actually reported that.

Doesn’t Minnesota have 19 Fortune 500 companies? How many graduated from the Minnesota Carlson School of Business? Where’s the donors?? Shouldn’t we have the biggest NIL in the country??

Doesn’t Minnesota have 19 Fortune 500 companies? How many graduated from the Minnesota Carlson School of Business? Where’s the donors?? Shouldn’t we have the biggest NIL in the country??

No.

Who reported that?

Be thrilled if St. Thomas had a more prominent D1 program in basketball and otherwise. There is room within the Twin Cities and the state of MN for more than one good team (D1 hockey has proved that).

Still, I don't care about St Thomas.

The agent provocateurs from St. Thomas that circulate on this board are obvious and pathetic in their attempt to undermine the program. Ya'll know who you are Wetblanket.

that number, of all that we here about, is bloated.....remember this is the AAU coach and others who will get a kick back in all this pushing big numbers to up the ante for both Evans and them....

Who reported that?
It’s been alluded to on a couple message boards but I don’t know if any of these numbers are verifiable. I also read that TCU was originally in the 300,000 dollar range but again there is no published info proving these offers just a lot of here say, but it does sound like Evans so called handlers have been pushing him to decommit and seek out more NIL.

It’s been alluded to on a couple message boards but I don’t know if any of these numbers are verifiable. I also read that TCU was originally in the 300,000 dollar range but again there is no published info proving these offers just a lot of here say, but it does sound like Evans so called handlers have been pushing him to decommit and seek out more NIL.
I think we can safely assume based on the relationship that Ben and Evans have...the only reason he would be going to Louisville is money. If TCU offered a decent sum of money, again to leap frog TCU it has to be a bigger sum of money at Louisville. To leave the Gophers at all, where it has sounded from the beginning to now where he would prefer to be it almost has to be big dollars at Louisville..
Because you supposedly can't entice potentiail recruits to come to your school with NIL money...we may not know for awhile but it seems pretty obvious.

Last edited:

I have absolutely no idea who "Shama" is besides the fact that Bleed has been posting his garbage on the board for a few decades.

I wonder if Iowa fans discuss Drake and Wisconsin fans discuss UWGB as much as Minnesota fans discuss freaking St Thomas...Everyone outside Minnesota knows St Thomas mostly as an island in the Caribbean.

can't remember where I heard this - might have been from Ryan Burns - but the general idea was that a lot of the bigger Twin Cities companies and wealthy individuals get hit up with a lot of fund-raising requests: give to the Endowment - give to Athletes' Village - give to the Golden Gopher Fund etc.

so now if they get hit with "give to NIL," the response may be more negative because they're tired of getting hit up for donations all the time.

If the Gophers are going to have a big NIL fund, they're probably have to find the MN equivalent of the Ruiz guy from Miami - and hope that they can avoid getting on the NCAA's enforcement radar.

I think we can safely assume based on the relationship that Ben and Evans have...the only reason he would be going to Louisville is money. If TCU offered a decent sum of money, again to leap frog TCU it has to be a bigger sum of money at Louisville. To leave the Gophers at all, where it has sounded from the beginning to now where he would prefer to be it almost has to be big dollars at Louisville..
Because you supposedly can't entice potentiail recruits to come to your school with NIL money...we may not know for awhile but it seems pretty obvious.

There are a lot more reasons to go to Louisville over TCU and Minnesota other than just money. It's still a top 10 basketball program of all time, it's not like it's Cleveland St.

I have absolutely no idea who "Shama" is besides the fact that Bleed has been posting his garbage on the board for a few decades.

I wonder if Iowa fans discuss Drake and Wisconsin fans discuss UWGB as much as Minnesota fans discuss freaking St Thomas...Everyone outside Minnesota knows St Thomas mostly as an island in the Caribbean.
Shama is cosplay Sid. Some old geezer who pretends to be a journalist.

The difference between Wisconsin and Iowa and the schools you mention, is that UST is a brand new D1 program. Before this year, Minnesota was one of only two states I believe, that had only one D1 hoops program (the other being Wyoming). That alone is really unusual for a state with over 5 million residents.

If there was someone you’d believe on the scene of NIL in the state, Shama is definitely the #1 source

We don't cater to that crowd. We cater to the social justice warriors. Unfortunately, they neither donate money or attend games.

Top Bottom