Shama: Is it possible Oturu has fallen in NBA mock draft projections because scouts are concerned about his history of injuries with both shoulders?

He didn’t shoot 3s very often because it was a bad shot for the team

Attempting an average of about 1.5 per game doesn’t constitute proving you’re a consistent 3 point shooter regardless of you want
Well yeah! Why would our NBA center hang out at the 3 point line all game when he was a beast inside? Bottom line is yeah he didnt shoot many 3's, but when he did he proved he could hit them. He became a much better shooter his sophomore year. Obviously he wont be shooting 3's in the NBA, but I think hes proved he can shoot the mid range jumper. He'll only get better.

Well yeah! Why would our NBA center hang out at the 3 point line all game when he was a beast inside? Bottom line is yeah he didnt shoot many 3's, but when he did he proved he could hit them. He became a much better shooter his sophomore year. Obviously he wont be shooting 3's in the NBA, but I think hes proved he can shoot the mid range jumper. He'll only get better.
I agree with almost all of this. He will have to shoot some 3's in the NBA though. Everyone not named Ben Simmons is kind of expected to at this point.

If you think hitting 19 college distance 3s in a year proves you have NBA range, I will not debate you.

you go ahead and think that

I agree with almost all of this. He will have to shoot some 3's in the NBA though. Everyone not named Ben Simmons is kind of expected to at this point.
Yeah your right he'll get a couple up I'm sure. Why not if you can hit them.

If you think hitting 19 college distance 3s in a year proves you have NBA range, I will not debate you.

you go ahead and think that
Who said he had NBA 3 point range? I think your missing the whole point of this conversation. I dont think anybody ever said he's this long range nba 3 point shooter. People are saying the fact that he wasnt a bad 3 point shooter in college means that he can probably be a good mid range NBA jump shooter. Wasnt this one of your concerns about Oturu? His jump shot?

Last edited:

Who said he had NBA 3 point range? I think your missing the whole point of this conversation. I dont think anybody ever said he's this long range nba 3 point shooter. People are saying the fact that he wasnt a bad 3 point shooter in college means that he can probably be a good mid range NBA jump shooter. Wasnt this one of your concerns about Oturu? His jump shot?
You clearly haven’t read the whole thread

there are multiple posters in this thread arguing he has proven himself to be a good 3 point shooter

It’s a non point at this time but I believe Oturu should have stayed in school. He improved by leaps and bounds as a Gopher. One more season and I am confident he would have exhibited more NBA skills resulting in a higher
draft slot.
He needs to be able to work out for teams to show his off season progress. Could get ugly without that but it does only take one team.
Oturu really deserves to go higher than low first round or early second. I agree with you...one more year would have been great. I am imagining what we would have looked like with him at power forward and Robbins at center....... Totally hypothetical, but wow!

Who said he had NBA 3 point range? I think your missing the whole point of this conversation. I dont think anybody ever said he's this long range nba 3 point shooter. People are saying the fact that he wasnt a bad 3 point shooter in college means that he can probably be a good mid range NBA jump shooter. Isnt this what you were questioning in your original post?
You clearly haven’t read the whole thread

there are multiple posters in this thread arguing he has proven himself to be a good 3 point shooter
Ok I guess. Your right hes not a good 3 point shooter. He made enough though to where we have all said his jump shot has clearly gotten better and can clearly see him shooting well at mid range in the NBA.

Ok I guess. Your right hes not a good 3 point shooter. He made enough though to where we have all said his jump shot has clearly gotten better and can clearly see him shooting well at mid range in the NBA.
I think being a better long ranger shooter is a distant third on things that could improve his draft stock by staying in school.

defending NBA quality wings and stretch 4s is another thing he could do (which he wouldn’t be asked to do much in college)

showing handles is another thing he could do (which he wouldn’t be asked to do much in college)

my entire argument in this thread is that he plays a style that doesn’t really exist in the nba so I see why he is a second round guy more than first. And also think he was smart to go pro because his question marks wouldn’t get answered by another year in college anyways because he wouldn’t be asked to do the things he would need to show to improve his stock.

and it is not even the same shot at the next level. They will look at depth and range.
Come on man...ya, the NBA doesn't even watch tape, scout, or look at college games to evaluate anybody, right? They just blindly draft guys and have some shot doctor decide after the fact.

How many threes Oturu shot and made as a freshman compared to what he did as a sophomore is a pretty big evaluation factor in determining if there is hope he can knock down threes in the NBA. His shot dramatically improved from outside. An even greater eye opening factor would have been if he came back and doubled or tripled his sophomore stats from three as a junior.

And you guys are suggesting that would not matter???? And that it would somehow be a bad shot for the Gophers team if he dramatically improved his numbers because he's tall, right? Come on guys!

I hope he does drop so wolves can snag him @33

Sam Vecenie of "The Athletic," who I like to read, has him dropping to below that. He has lots of foreign players listed before him. BTW, he has the Wolves taking Zeke at #33, for whatever that's worth.

Sam Vecenie of "The Athletic," who I like to read, has him dropping to below that. He has lots of foreign players listed before him. BTW, he has the Wolves taking Zeke at #33, for whatever that's worth.
that would be a major ouch to fall well into the second round for Oturu

Yes, Simmons' teammate, Joel Embid, certainly shoots them.

Come on man...ya, the NBA doesn't even watch tape, scout, or look at college games to evaluate anybody, right?

Yes, right now because of COVID, that's predominately what they are doing. That and the interviews.

my entire argument in this thread is that he plays a style that doesn’t really exist in the nba so I see why he is a second round guy more than first. And also think he was smart to go pro because his question marks wouldn’t get answered by another year in college anyways because he wouldn’t be asked to do the things he would need to show to improve his stock.

I agree that he was smart to go pro. As for the rest, we'll have to wait and see. I certainly never expected Draymond Green to become what he did in the NBA.

So far, the news is that the Celtics and the Bucks have interviewed Oturu already and that he is also a prospect of the Hornets and Rockets.

Although the Rockets don't have a draft pick, they certainly could trade to get one. Boston has three first round draft picks with two of the last five. Philadelphia has four second round picks with two of the first six in the second round.

Milwaukee's pick is #24. Charlotte has #32 (also #3 but nobody expects Daniel to be drafted there).

Lots of big men have learned to shoot after joining the NBA in recent years. Some never figure it out and it limits their playing time and earnings.

Brook Lopez made 3 three pointers in college. He made 3 three pointers in his first 8 seasons combined in the NBA. He made 187 in 2018-19...

For perspective: Larry Bird made 649 in his career, which Lopez should surpass next season. Bird did shoot 3.5% better, but I believe the line was closer in his era.

The game has changed. There are very few guys who cannot shoot 3s, and those guys are elite at other things.

Top Bottom