Shama: Is it possible Oturu has fallen in NBA mock draft projections because scouts are concerned about his history of injuries with both shoulders?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Worth Noting

Is it possible ex-Gophers center Daniel Oturu has fallen in NBA mock draft projections because scouts are concerned about his history of injuries with both shoulders? NBAdraft.net, for example, once ranked the Woodbury native as a top 10 choice in the 2020 draft but now projects him as the last player to be chosen in the first round, going at No. 30 to the Boston Celtics.

All-Big Ten junior Gophers point guard Marcus Carr, who withdrew his name for the draft this summer, needs to improve his shooting to draw more serious interest from NBA teams. He made .393 percent of his field goals last season (.361 on three-pointers).

Go Gophers!!

What happens if he drops out of the second round and decides to come back.

Silly question but if Oturu happens to not get drafted at all (not likely), is he even able to come back to the U despite declaring?

Timberwolves rarely pass on drafting Minnesotans way over their projected draft spot!

Will it be:
Oturu
Jones part II

Timberwolves rarely pass on drafting Minnesotans way over their projected draft spot!

Will it be:
Oturu
Jones part II
Jones probably should not have been a first round pick, but he has carved out a decent role as a solid back up point guard in the league. He should be able to hang around for a while and stack a ton of dough.

Will it be:
Oturu
Jones part II
I'm projecting with their second round pick, if they still have it.

really hard to draw conclusions about this year's draft. the whole system/calendar has been thrown out the window due to covid. players can't go visit teams and do individual workouts - which are really big for some teams in evaluating prospects.

no idea whether teams can get/evaluate medical reports.

just a guess on my part, but I wonder if the uncertainty means that teams might favor more polished players over prospects.

Jones probably should not have been a first round pick, but he has carved out a decent role as a solid back up point guard in the league. He should be able to hang around for a while and stack a ton of dough.
Being a decent backup in the nba makes him a better first round pick than many wolves picks

I think the concerns revolve more around with how the center position has evolved in the NBA and his supposed lack of athletic ability. Someone will grab him late 1, early 2 and be happy he fell to them.

I think the concerns revolve more around with how the center position has evolved in the NBA and his supposed lack of athletic ability. Someone will grab him late 1, early 2 and be happy he fell to them.
100%
I was a rare person on this board that thought he isn’t a first round pick AND thought he was right to go pro.

He doesn’t have the handle or the jump shot to play in a centerless nba.

not sure he can defend stretch 4s and 5s in the nba and not sure there is a spot for his position.

2 years from now thatll be even more apparent. Hopefully he gets some run but he has the player type of a great college player that doesn’t really exist in the nba.

big guys who aren’t giants but don’t have great shooting ability or handles and can’t defend stretch 4s aren’t very valuable

100%
I was a rare person on this board that thought he isn’t a first round pick AND thought he was right to go pro.

He doesn’t have the handle or the jump shot to play in a centerless nba.

not sure he can defend stretch 4s and 5s in the nba and not sure there is a spot for his position.

2 years from now thatll be even more apparent. Hopefully he gets some run but he has the player type of a great college player that doesn’t really exist in the nba.

big guys who aren’t giants but don’t have great shooting ability or handles and can’t defend stretch 4s aren’t very valuable
This will be interesting to watch. I think you might be discounting his ability over the next couple of years to add strength, increase his agility, and improve his range on a technically sound shooting motion. But we’ll see. He’s not Joel embiid, but I feel he’s got the traits to develop into an impactful weapon on offense and a decent rim protector on defense.

I think he’s actually going to an excellent shooter if he can last in the nba. He turned into a knockdown midrange shooter in one collegiate offseason. He’s got a high release point and won’t have to run around screens or handle the ball to get open looks.

This will be interesting to watch. I think you might be discounting his ability over the next couple of years to add strength, increase his agility, and improve his range on a technically sound shooting motion. But we’ll see. He’s not Joel embiid, but I feel he’s got the traits to develop into an impactful weapon on offense and a decent rim protector on defense.

I think he’s actually going to an excellent shooter if he can last in the nba. He turned into a knockdown midrange shooter in one collegiate offseason. He’s got a high release point and won’t have to run around screens or handle the ball to get open looks.

He actually turned into a pretty decent college 3pt shooter, let alone midrange jump shooter.

When his current contract expires in two seasons, he will have career earnings at that point no less than $34 million.

It’s a non point at this time but I believe Oturu should have stayed in school. He improved by leaps and bounds as a Gopher. One more season and I am confident he would have exhibited more NBA skills resulting in a higher
draft slot.
He needs to be able to work out for teams to show his off season progress. Could get ugly without that but it does only take one team.

It’s a non point at this time but I believe Oturu should have stayed in school. He improved by leaps and bounds as a Gopher. One more season and I am confident he would have exhibited more NBA skills resulting in a higher
draft slot.
He needs to be able to work out for teams to show his off season progress. Could get ugly without that but it does only take one team.
3 things he could do to improve his draft stock:

show he can defend the perimeter against guys with handles (he wouldn’t be asked to do this in college)
Show he can knock down consistent outside shots (might have been detrimental to team success for him to be taking that kind of shot in college)
Show he can take the ball to the rim off the dribble from the perimeter (he wouldn’t be asked to do this in college)

I’m not sure he could show what he needs to show and at the same time be playing to win college basketball games. He will have to show it while being a pro

3 things he could do to improve his draft stock:

show he can defend the perimeter against guys with handles (he wouldn’t be asked to do this in college)
Show he can knock down consistent outside shots (might have been detrimental to team success for him to be taking that kind of shot in college)
Show he can take the ball to the rim off the dribble from the perimeter (he wouldn’t be asked to do this in college)

I’m not sure he could show what he needs to show and at the same time be playing to win college basketball games. He will have to show it while being a pro

He was 19-52 from 3 (36.5%), which was second best on the team.

He made less than 1 3 point shot per game,

with a sample size that small his percentage is barely even relevant
Would be interested to know what his percentage was during in-season practices. I know a lot of coaches go over practice film daily and actually keep stats on a variety of things. Doubt anybody would have let him shoot any 3's if he was showing difficulty in practice to make them.

Of course, I have no specific idea of whether Gopher coaches did that or actually kept track of certain practice stats as part of game prep. Just bringing it up as food for thought on Oturu's 3-point shooting ability.

He made less than 1 3 point shot per game,

with a sample size that small his percentage is barely even relevant

"might have been detrimental to team success for him to be taking that kind of shot in college" made it sound like he didn't shoot threes at all and it might hurt the team if he did. My point is that he did shoot threes and it certainly did not hurt the team when he did.

"might have been detrimental to team success for him to be taking that kind of shot in college" made it sound like he didn't shoot threes at all and it might hurt the team if he did. My point is that he did shoot threes and it certainly did not hurt the team when he did.
He didn’t shoot 3s very often because it was a bad shot for the team

Attempting an average of about 1.5 per game doesn’t constitute proving you’re a consistent 3 point shooter regardless of you want

Would be interested to know what his percentage was during in-season practices. I know a lot of coaches go over practice film daily and actually keep stats on a variety of things. Doubt anybody would have let him shoot any 3's if he was showing difficulty in practice to make them.

Of course, I have no specific idea of whether Gopher coaches did that or actually kept track of certain practice stats as part of game prep. Just bringing it up as food for thought on Oturu's 3-point shooting ability.
For sure. But if he came back are they really going to run an offense that has Oturu shooting 4-6 3s per game?
Because show show he can hit them he’d need to attempt them more in games

The idea Oturu would not have shot more threes if he returned is silly. It’s just a natural evolution. People practice, they get more comfortable, they get more confident and they take and make more shots with experience. Oturu spreading the floor for his teammates is a good thing, not a bad thing. He already proved you couldn’t leave him unguarded out there. Absolutely he would have shot more threes.

Pick and roll is pretty common in college basketball. He would get the opportunity to defend on the perimeter. His feet are quick enough he just needed game experience.

Why in heaven’s name would he not be asked to attack the rim from the perimeter??

He didn’t shoot 3s very often because it was a bad shot for the team

Attempting an average of about 1.5 per game doesn’t constitute proving you’re a consistent 3 point shooter regardless of you want
and it is not even the same shot at the next level. They will look at depth and range.

Top Bottom