Shama: Gopher great Bud Grant, 94, is articulate as ever but deals with a painful back.

Just what the stoic Bud Grant wants us to know - Not!
No wonder he’s always avoided interviews. And then the Minnesota Legend gets the bottom of a long column, like a footnote.
Really wasn't newsworthy, so I'm surprised it got ink in itself.

Love, Bud. As an avid outdoorsman myself, I'd love to spend an afternoon in a boat or blind with him and ask him to tell stories. Stay healthy, Bud!

Anyone ever attended one of his legendary memorabilia yard sales? I once saw a video with him sitting at a card table with a cash box and occasionally getting up to monitor browsers. He is the quintessential Minnesota anticelebrity!

Anyone ever attended one of his legendary memorabilia yard sales? I once saw a video with him sitting at a card table with a cash box and occasionally getting up to monitor browsers. He is the quintessential Minnesota anticelebrity!
Yeah, but charging little kids $20 for an autograph at his "yard sale" is bush league.

The epic tales of the prices he charges for memorabilia that came to him for free would be an embarrassment to most. It's changed my opinion of him.

Yeah, but charging little kids $20 for an autograph at his "yard sale" is bush league.

The epic tales of the prices he charges for memorabilia that came to him for free would be an embarrassment to most. It's changed my opinion of him.
When I was in 7th grade he signed an autograph for me when I saw him at the HS hockey tournament. Didn't charge me either. Fond memory.

Worth noting - in a discussion of the greatest all-around athletes in U of MN history, Bud Grant has to be very close to the top. Played three sports at the U. Played professionally in two sports (FB and basketball) and played semi-pro in a 3rd sport (baseball). His first year with the NFL Eagles, he played DE and led the team in sacks. Then moved to WR and was 2nd in the NFL in catches and yards.

Obviously, a different era then. But - off the top of my head, the only other name that jumps out at me is Dave Winfield. Eric Decker also played two sports, and I still think he had major-league potential in baseball.

Worth noting - in a discussion of the greatest all-around athletes in U of MN history, Bud Grant has to be very close to the top. Played three sports at the U. Played professionally in two sports (FB and basketball) and played semi-pro in a 3rd sport (baseball). His first year with the NFL Eagles, he played DE and led the team in sacks. Then moved to WR and was 2nd in the NFL in catches and yards.

Obviously, a different era then. But - off the top of my head, the only other name that jumps out at me is Dave Winfield. Eric Decker also played two sports, and I still think he had major-league potential in baseball.

Absolutely Bud is in Top 5 discussion. The only other athlete to play 3 that I know of is Noel Jenke. He played hockey, baseball and football. There may be a few others. Lots of athletes have played 2 sports including a few HOFers: Dungy, Winfield, Charlie Sanders, etc.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom