Shama: Gap Widens with Gophers & Pro Rivals

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

With two home dates remaining, it looks like average Gophers attendance per game could be the lowest since the team began playing at TCF Bank Stadium in 2009.

For five games the average attendance is 45,140. The lowest average for a season at TCF is 46,637 for seven games in 2012.

Last month the athletic department reported a decline of about 19 percent in the sale of nonstudent football season tickets from 2015, and a fall off in student sales too. Obviously single game sales have been slow as well. The Gophers didn’t even sell out their rivalry game with Iowa, announcing an attendance of 49,145.

Not only have their been no sellouts this season in the 50,805 seat stadium, but many of the best seats have been unoccupied for all games—even though customers paid premium prices for them.

The TCF Bank Stadium attendance problem highlights the lack of fan interest regarding the high profile programs of football, basketball and hockey at the University of Minnesota. Those three sports have been trending down in public popularity. They are positioned less favorably when compared to their professional counterparts than at any time in memory—certainly dating back to the start of the millennium when the NHL expansion Minnesota Wild joined the Timberwolves, Twins and Vikings as pro franchises in Minneapolis-St. Paul.

This fall the Vikings, Timberwolves and Wild are far outdistancing the Gophers in ticket buyers and general interest from Minnesota sports fans. The gap between the Vikings and Gophers has been in place for decades but a 5-0 start to the season and the opening of spectacular U.S. Bank Stadium widened the difference between the two products. The perception of the Gophers is that they have both an unproven coach and team that is playing a soft schedule following last year’s disappointing 2-6 Big Ten record.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Amazing what a sustained lack of success, losing a coach who was your biggest marketing chip, a poor home schedule, and jacking up prices will do.

Doesn't it seem like Shama writes the exact same "piece" about fan attention every damn month? What a hack

Doesn't it seem like Shama writes the exact same "piece" about fan attention every damn month? What a hack

Well there is a rumor that he can hide his own Easter eggs, and has new friends everyday...

Complete tool. Firm grasp of the obvious, he has. Does he actually make money with this gibberish?

As soon as I saw the word "attendance" I realized I had already read this article 50 times this year.

Wins will fill the stadium. That's how MN sports works. Oh, the Vikes and T-wolves have better attendance? Might it be because they had better than average seasons last year?

As soon as I saw the word "attendance" I realized I had already read this article 50 times this year.

Wins will fill the stadium. That's how MN sports works. Oh, the Vikes and T-wolves have better attendance? Might it be because they had better than average seasons last year?

Sad to think that 29 wins for the T-wolves qualifies as better than average but considering the last ten years, that total is a monumental accomplishment.

Attendance will improve in the coming weeks, with an improved record and the Northwestern game on tap. Things will especially improve if the Gophers can beat Nebraska for the third time in four years.

The Gophers are less than a season removed from their best attendance average in 28 years. That's without relying on a game with Wisconsin, Iowa or NDSU fans filling the joint for one or two games.

Target Center was 76% capacity for the season opener of their "breakout" season...

I wonder what is driving all these Shama articles? Is he just being a stick in the mud or does writing negative stuff about the gophers drive traffic to his website?

I wonder what is driving all these Shama articles? Is he just being a stick in the mud or does writing negative stuff about the gophers drive traffic to his website?

I think he has a computer script that writes them for him.... time saver.

I just want to point out that the article has been up for over 4 hours, and yet the phrase "Not only have their been no sellouts this season" still resides on the website of "professional journalist" David Shama.

Sad to think that 29 wins for the T-wolves qualifies as better than average but considering the last ten years, that total is a monumental accomplishment.

TWolves are embarking on a steep upswing in wins this year, so I'd expect their attendance to be quite high. A lot more excitement there than with Pitino's group, although I'm hoping they catch the fever too...

I just want to point out that the article has been up for over 4 hours, and yet the phrase "Not only have their been no sellouts this season" still resides on the website of "professional journalist" David Shama.

Maybe he passed proof reading onto the editor...;) I think it all boils down to being much easier to write articles like this about the Gophers than to cast the Vikings in a negative light.

If the "little Darlings" keep crapping the bed the new House of Glass will become a parking lot.

Shama is on the "Gophers have crap attendance" beat this year.

He was more entertaining when he was on the "I must interview Scarf Man" beat last year.

Shama is on the "Gophers have crap attendance" beat this year.

He was more entertaining when he was on the "I must interview Scarf Man" beat last year.

:drink:

T-wolves home opener drew just over 14,000 paid attendance

T-wolves drew just over 14,000 paid tickets and with a lot of empty seats for their home opener Tuesday night against the Grizzlies. I would say their attendance will be no better than the Gophers this season. After this season you will see a good uptick in Gophers attendance. Then what will Shama write about? Shama paid Shill for the Vikings, beat that drum Shama about how following the Gophers is bad for you!

T-wolves drew just over 14,000 paid tickets and with a lot of empty seats for their home opener Tuesday night against the Grizzlies. I would say their attendance will be no better than the Gophers this season. After this season you will see a good uptick in Gophers attendance. Then what will Shama write about? Shama paid Shill for the Vikings, beat that drum Shama about how following the Gophers is bad for you!

wolves are going to be title contenders in the next 1-2 years so you better get used to sellout crowds at target center

All I have to say is I will be there on Saturday and it looks to be a glorious fall day.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom