Shama: 5,503 public season tickets have been sold, a 20% drop from 2019-2020 last time fans could attend

I think most of the drop can be attributed to our old coach (12th and 13th place finishes the last two years) and COVID (very few sports teams unaffected). I'm sure some has to do with Ben Johnson -- he has not really created any excitement and he is not a very engaging rah-rah public figure.

I'm still hopeful that he can get positive results and I'm not giving up on him, even if Craig Smith and Brian Dutcher were my preferences. He's our coach and I support him.

I think most of the drop can be attributed to our old coach (12th and 13th place finishes the last two years) and COVID (very few sports teams unaffected). I'm sure some has to do with Ben Johnson -- he has not really created any excitement and he is not a very engaging rah-rah public figure.

I'm still hopeful that he can get positive results and I'm not giving up on him, even if Craig Smith and Brian Dutcher were my preferences. He's our coach and I support him.
Yep, the truth is that if he can coach, nothing else will matter. We have a fun class waiting in the wings and I'm hopeful that by 2023 we won't know or even remember how the coach was hired. It was completely different circumstances, but even PJ was hired under somewhat controversial/divided circumstances and because the guy can coach, no one even cares anymore.

I hope the same happens with Ben and I really like the 2022 class so far.

It's both. I have little doubt if Craig Smith was hired ticket numbers would be similar.

The football team won the outback bowl the last full season with fans and had 0 fans at any games last year. The last full season with fans for basketball the teams coach would've been fired if the COVID pandemic didn't happen. Not even close to comparable.
LOL. So football winning a bowl game 2 years ago increased tickets despite Covid, but the hire isn’t largely to blame for a 20% DECREASE for basketball, who also didn’t have fans last year.

OK!

LOL. So football winning a bowl game 2 years ago increased tickets despite Covid, but the hire isn’t largely to blame for a 20% DECREASE for basketball, who also didn’t have fans last year.

OK!
Yes?

One team has had recent success and the other team has sucked largely (finishing 12th and 13th) for the last 2 years.

We dropped our season tickets this year for a number of reasons, one of which is the bleak outlook (again). We have had them since 1995. Guess how many times they tried to woo us back. One phone message and two text messages. Completely pathetic.

It looks like they will require masks to attend the games. Without getting into any politics around it it is just one more thing that will make their a person's home more attractive to watch the game.

I think we are in for some extremely low attendance games this year - and quiet.

OK!

Well, football is outside with less concern for Covid (and no mask requirement) when compared to basketball, but otherwise your point is well taken.

We dropped our season tickets this year for a number of reasons, one of which is the bleak outlook (again). We have had them since 1995. Guess how many times they tried to woo us back. One phone message and two text messages. Completely pathetic.
What is your threshold of acceptability? Two voice messages and four text messages?

It's both. I have little doubt if Craig Smith was hired ticket numbers would be similar.

The football team won the outback bowl the last full season with fans and had 0 fans at any games last year. The last full season with fans for basketball the teams coach would've been fired if the COVID pandemic didn't happen. Not even close to comparable.
If Pitino were still here, the drop-off would be just as bad. But with Craig Smith or Dutcher I think they at least stop the bleeding and maintain the # we had in 19-20.

Yes?

One team has had recent success and the other team has sucked largely (finishing 12th and 13th) for the last 2 years.
But even when struggling under Pitino tickets didn’t drop. Despite many poor finishes. So fans liked a flailing coach better than the new hire. That is what you’re implying.

What did they offer to induce you to come back?

But even when struggling under Pitino tickets didn’t drop. Despite many poor finishes. So fans liked a flailing coach better than the new hire. That is what you’re implying.
Tickets did drop under Pitino? Are you implying that he started with the numbers he finished at?

Do you think the ticket drop happened solely because the Gophers hired Ben Johnson?

Tubby had over 10k season tickets holders.

Nothing. They asked if I planned to renew and call this number.
Yeah, that's the exact same thing that happened with my basketball tickets. I wasn't going to renew because I am not in the cities enough, but I had 1 call that was essentially like "if you want to keep your tickets, call this number".

Pitino had over 9,200 in 2017 following a good season.

Tickets did drop under Pitino? Are you implying that he started with the numbers he finished at?

Do you think the ticket drop happened solely because the Gophers hired Ben Johnson?

Tubby had over 10k season tickets holders.

Did they drop 20% after a bad year under pitino? No.

If they hired an established coach I would have renewed.

Yeah, that's the exact same thing that happened with my basketball tickets. I wasn't going to renew because I am not in the cities enough, but I had 1 call that was essentially like "if you want to keep your tickets, call this number".
They called you?? I got an email. Told them no. Then months after the renewal deadline they asked if i wanted to renew my same seats…

Did they drop 20% after a bad year under pitino? No.

If they hired an established coach I would have renewed.
I'm willing to bet after the 2017-18 season tickets fell more than 20%

Per the strib they had over 9,200 in 2017 and per a Sid article in mid June the following year ticket sales were at 6,256.

Ive said this since the early weeks post hire, the U’s marketing team has done a piss poor job of promoting Ben and the team.
A clear example is that last player intro video of i think the navy kid or wherever he came from and it was the most useless promo video Ive seen come from the U.

i think he said one word and the video was maybe 10 seconds

I will try to keep this from getting personal for any posters - but......

It's easy after the fact to say what someone might have done.

"Oh, if they would have hired Coach X, I would have gotten season tickets."

I suppose that might be true. But there's no way to prove it.

just like there's no way to prove that Coach X would have retained more of last year's players, or brought in better players for this season.

again, if you don't like the hire, blame Coyle - or blame the President - or blame Canada. but don't blame Ben Johnson for accepting a job that he was offered.

It looks like they will require masks to attend the games. Without getting into any politics around it it is just one more thing that will make their a person's home more attractive to watch the game.

I think we are in for some extremely low attendance games this year - and quiet.
From what I've observed at Mariucci Arena the indoor mask requirement seems like more of a request, though they frame it as a mandate. In other words, they're not enforcing it. That it's not really being enforced was the deciding factor that pushed me to renew for at least another season. I assume they'll do the same thing at Williams Arena. I highly doubt they'll want to push out fans that will make the crowds even more miniscule.

Honestly, who can blame you for not supporting this mess? I am not excited about this, even though I reupped. If I am not excited, nobody short of the families of the players and coaches are.

I dont think people buy season tickets for the coach per se. A Kansas fan doesnt buy tickets to see Bill Self coach the game, but the coaches style, recuits and success do matter. I would hazard a guess if Smith/Dutcher got the job they would have been up a bit from these numbers simply because we would have probably pushed a little harder for "win now" guys and you could say hey look at their recent teams, we might be solid! I think under Muss they would have been up from last year because thats how Muss recruits, he gets high profile grad transfers that people can talk themselves into. "Hey I dont know if he is any good, but he was a 4* and went to Duke, and this guy put up 26 ppg who cares if it was at Winthrop, and this guy lead the ASun in rebounds and blocks, hey we are going to be exciting and good lets do it!" None of those things have to do with the person the coach is, but the coaches choices do lead to these numbers. We got a group of under whelming names who have been largely assumed to get destroyed this year, along with a non-rah rah personality leads to a drop in sales. That isnt a knock on BJ its just the truth. Like many said, his personality or style wont matter if we win games. People can complain about Wisconsin all they want, but if the Gophers go 22-10 every year it wont matter if we average 42 points a game and only get 2* recruits, the place will fill up.

The administration (Gable, Coyle, Regents, etc) had to know this was almost a 100% given when they made the hire. The odds we see a huge bump in ticket sales for the next 1-3 years isnt really high, we all hope it is, but that will be a wait and see thing.

I'm willing to bet after the 2017-18 season tickets fell more than 20%

Per the strib they had over 9,200 in 2017 and per a Sid article in mid June the following year ticket sales were at 6,256.
So before the renewal deadline they were down ~30%…I’m sure they were down less than 20% total.

I dont think people buy season tickets for the coach per se. A Kansas fan doesnt buy tickets to see Bill Self coach the game, but the coaches style, recuits and success do matter. I would hazard a guess if Smith/Dutcher got the job they would have been up a bit from these numbers simply because we would have probably pushed a little harder for "win now" guys and you could say hey look at their recent teams, we might be solid! I think under Muss they would have been up from last year because thats how Muss recruits, he gets high profile grad transfers that people can talk themselves into. "Hey I dont know if he is any good, but he was a 4* and went to Duke, and this guy put up 26 ppg who cares if it was at Winthrop, and this guy lead the ASun in rebounds and blocks, hey we are going to be exciting and good lets do it!" None of those things have to do with the person the coach is, but the coaches choices do lead to these numbers. We got a group of under whelming names who have been largely assumed to get destroyed this year, along with a non-rah rah personality leads to a drop in sales. That isnt a knock on BJ its just the truth. Like many said, his personality or style wont matter if we win games. People can complain about Wisconsin all they want, but if the Gophers go 22-10 every year it wont matter if we average 42 points a game and only get 2* recruits, the place will fill up.

The administration (Gable, Coyle, Regents, etc) had to know this was almost a 100% given when they made the hire. The odds we see a huge bump in ticket sales for the next 1-3 years isnt really high, we all hope it is, but that will be a wait and see thing.
I still can't understand why this was bulldoze scenario, the further from the hire we get the more headscratching it is.

Top Bottom