Seven teams that Texas football has played, never beat (Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Madison Leader Gazette:

Minnesota

In 1936, the Minnesota Golden Gophers and Texas Longhorns met on November 14. The game was held at Memorial Stadium in Minneapolis. Texas fell to the eventual National Champions 47-16. It marked the Gophers’ third-straight National Championship. The two teams were set to play a home-and-home series starting in 2015 but it was cancelled.

Go Gophers!!

Almost had a chance to play them in the 2006 Alamo Bowl, but Iowa jumped the Gophs for the slot...

And when Tim Brewster thought it would be a good idea to play them when his teams couldn't beat South Dakota
He wanted to see his son since he couldn't even recruit him to come here...

We were going to play Texas in a home-and-home series? I don't remember that being talked about.

We were going to play Texas in a home-and-home series? I don't remember that being talked about.

I believe when the idea was first conceived it was a Brewster/Mack Brown agreement. By the time it came closer to the game happening, the current coaches were like "why the heck is this on the future schedule list."

Go Gophers!!

I believe when the idea was first conceived it was a Brewster/Mack Brown agreement. By the time it came closer to the game happening, the current coaches were like "why the heck is this on the future schedule list."

Go Gophers!!

Ah. That actually makes sense then because of the Brewster/Texas connection.

He wanted to see his son since he couldn't even recruit him to come here...
He had a strong connection to Texas and Mack prior to his dad coming here. I wonder how he is doing now as the last I heard he had very serious concussion issues.

Texas game was not a glorious moment for Gopher football. African American players Dwight Reed and Horace Bell developed “injuries” and were held out of the game as the University acceded to the “gentlemen’s agreement” when playing southern schools—Dwight Reed also did not play in the 1935 Tulane game.

Texas game was not a glorious moment for Gopher football. African American players Dwight Reed and Horace Bell developed “injuries” and were held out of the game as the University to the “gentlemen’s agreement” when playing southern schools—Dwight Reed also did not play in the 1935 Tulane game.
That's really interesting; I never heard that. Silly to recruit black players to play then not play them against teams that won't. That should've been Texas's problem, not ours.

Top Bottom